Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

MattWV's Workout Journal

resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 of 2 pages
MattWV
MattWV
United States
2006/08/30, 07:11 PM
8/30/06

Deadlift - 6 sets, 4-5 reps each
Pull Ups - 3 sets, 4-6 reps each
Laying Ab Machine Crunch - 3 sets, 5-8 reps each
Seated Ab Machine Crunch - 3 sets, 5-7 reps each
Leg Lift - 3 sets, 8 reps each

Deadlift was OK, tried to up the weight too much and form broke down on one set. I can do it with good form if I keep the weight down. I'm just going to have to be patient.

I'm going to change up my back workouts based on my bodybuilding concerns. I will alternate between these two back workouts:
Workout A: Deadlift, Pull Ups (just changed from chin ups today)
Workout B: GM or Hyper, BOR

The highly anticipated Captain has arrived. It's great, I can almost close it once, then if I try to do it again, I only get about halfway. So I do sets of 3 reps, I close it as far as I can and then hold it for 3-5 seconds, 3 times. I see it sitting over there now and I can hardly resist picking it up. It's a thing of beauty.
2006/08/31, 02:48 AM
try to focus on doing negatives with the #1....like 10 sets of 1 negative....(cheat close it against the leg and then try to fight the gripper opening).....

The back workouts alternating between A and B sounds good...

good luck with your training ...
MattWV
MattWV
United States
2006/09/01, 07:22 PM
9/1/06

Incline Bench Barbell Press - 5 sets, 5-6 reps each
Flat Bench Dumbbell Press - 4 sets, 4-6 reps each
Incline Dumbbell Flyes - 3 sets, 4-6 reps each
Dips - 1 set, 10 reps

Today was leg day, but my lower back was still sore from deadlift day, so I'm pushing Squats to Monday. Pretty cool the gym is open on Monday, it's a University holiday and everything.

10 sets of 1 negative with the Cappy???
I got through 5 and thought I was going to pass out.

Good spotter today - my last barbell rep was slow as could be, barely inching up to the top, but he just put his hands under the bar without touching it.
2006/09/02, 12:11 AM
do as many negatives as you can handle and slowly build the overall volume...they thrash your hands but it's how you can go to bigger grippers....couple times a week is usually enough...

also try to close the gripper in inverted position to focus more on ring and pinky fingers....

it will also be helpful to position gripper with the doglegged handle(slightly longer)with right hand and non-doglegged handle with the left....makes a considerable difference...

it's good that you switched your workouts....nothing is set in stone...listen to your body as much as possible...remember you dont need to do

I would have done either incline or flat bench or skipped flyes and did more dip sets...(you dont need 12 sets of chest exercises to make good gains....just raise intensity...)...you'll soon discover that Flex approach doesnt work very well unless you take the recommended steroids along with it...

good luck man
MattWV
MattWV
United States
2006/09/05, 01:35 PM
Thanks for all your help menace.

Wow, legs are sore today. I think I got the Squat form that works for me down. I'm not sure if it's parallel or below (can't tell from looking in the mirror, you're not supposed to anyways, right?), but it is low. I don't even care if I'm doing working sets with only 135-155, it feels great.

Yesterday, 9/4/06

Squat - 6 sets, 4-6 reps each
Calf Raise - 4 sets, 5-8 reps each
Military Press - 3 sets, 4-5 reps each
Seated Bent Over Laterals - 3 sets, 5-10 reps each
Laying Ab Machine Crunch - 3 sets, 5-6 reps each
Decline Sit Ups - 3 sets (2 weighted), 3-11 reps each

Come to think of it, the Squat isn't perfect, my head/shoulders are probably too far forward still, but it's getting there.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/09/05, 02:08 PM
Ya know the form for squat is so subjective. By that I mean I know for sure my form is not 100% perfect, yet I think it works for me. Point being, if it works do not fix it! Obviously if the form is so bad you are going to get hurt that is one thing. But each of us moves in a different path ya know?

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!
The Men and Boys are Separated by one thing: The Squat Cage!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
2006/09/05, 10:30 PM
Form does not need to be 100% perfect...though if there are serious flaws they need to be addressed.....sometimes those flaws arise due to muscle imbalances...

Matt dont focus so much on the weight...doesnt matter how much you're doing...as long as it is challenging for you....it's all relative
MattWV
MattWV
United States
2006/09/06, 02:03 PM
I think the form is not perfect but there are no serious flaws. I'll try to ask someone who looks like they know something to watch me next time just to be sure. What I did Monday definately works for me as far as feel and intensity of soreness (in the right places).

Even with the soreness, I had to get a workout in today, I had an open time that is usually filled so I couldn't pass up the opportunity. Normally I probably would have waited, but the only thing sore is my legs and I did back today, so I think it's OK.

I was wavering between doing GMs or Hypers today because I didn't know if my legs could take the GMs. I decided to try GMs, then got to the gym and all the racks were taken. So I started warming up on the Hyperstation. Just then a rack opened up, GM warmup felt fine so I continued from there.

Back Hyperextension - Warmup Only
Good Morning Exercise - 4 sets, 5-7 reps each
Bent Over Barbell Row - 2 sets, 5-6 reps each
wasn't feeling the BO Row today so I substituted some pull downs
LAT Pulldown (to front) - 2 sets, 5-6 reps each
Laying Ab Machine Crunch - 3 sets, 4-7 reps each
Weighted Decline Sit Up - 3 sets, 5-8 reps each
Concentration Curl - 1 set, 18 reps

I was due for a set of curls, the last set was back in July.
MattWV
MattWV
United States
2006/09/08, 05:55 PM
9/8/06

Incline Barbell Bench Press - 5 sets, 4-6 reps each
Flat Bench Dumbbell Press - 4 sets, 4-6 reps each
Dips - 3 sets weighted, 3-7 reps each, 1 set unweighted, 6 reps

First time I did weighted Dips, it was pretty cool

I cut the flyes, but that's still 13 sets for chest. Too much?
2006/09/08, 09:23 PM
If you dont lean in on the dips then it's more of a triceps exercise. Are you counting warm up sets? I wouldn't count all the warm up sets and do a combined 3-5 total working sets for the chest.

I am beginning to really like dips also. I might start doing them as my primary exercise over bench....would be cool to do 5 plates...
MattWV
MattWV
United States
2006/09/15, 03:20 PM
I didn't mean to take a week off, just got really busy with school. My intensity had dropped off some though.

9/15/06

Squat - 5 sets, 4-5 reps each
Calf Raise - 3 sets, 7 reps each

I usually would have done Military Press, too, but I want to hit chest on Sunday. I usually would have done abs, too, but I was getting really hungry so I left.
MattWV
MattWV
United States
2006/09/21, 05:23 PM
This workout was done way back on 9/17/06, last Sunday

Incline Bench (Barbell) - 5 sets, 3-6 reps each
Dips - 2 sets weighted, 4-6 reps each
Flat Bench (Dumbbell) - 2 sets, 4-5 reps each

I got through this workout and was pretty upset that I felt so weak, especially it being my second workout after a week off. Then Monday morning I found out why I felt weak, I was slammed with a cold. It hit me like a ton of bricks by Monday night, I was done for, but I got back to at least a functional level by Tuesday afternoon. I'm kind of hovering around a 65% of normal heathiness feeling now.

I read somewhere on here that increased suceptibility to illness was a symptom of overtraining, but I don't think that really applies here, like I said I had just taken a week off and tons of people around here are sick.

Anyway, it's probably going to keep me out of the gym for another 4-5 days, make sure I'm back to full strength. Unfortunately I've been too busy with school to get much extra rest, I did call off work on Tuesday.
MattWV
MattWV
United States
2006/10/11, 06:34 PM
Wow, 3 1/2 weeks off.

Right when I got over that cold from the previous post, I got insanely busy with school work, I did nothing but work, school, eat, and sleep for about 2 weeks straight, even on the weekends. Then I got sick again towards the end of that busy period.

I was pretty depressed after today's workout. Endurance was pathetic, I could only maintain my normal intensity for about 10-15 min., and I could only work out for about 30 min. I usually do 6 sets of squats and love it, I did 3 today and felt like I would pass out. At least I got back though.

The only thing is, I'm going to continue to be busy with school, so I'll continue to struggle to find time to work out. And when school alone has me too busy to eat and sleep sometimes, is it healthy to throw lifting in on top of all of that.

Here's to hoping that the workload lightens up in the coming weeks.

10/11/06
Squat - 3 sets, 4-6 reps each
Calf Raise - 3 sets, 6-10 reps each
Seated Ab Machine Crunch - 2 sets, 10 reps each
MattWV
MattWV
United States
2006/10/13, 08:01 PM
Intensity and endurance were better today. I'm switching back to flat bench for my main barbell exersize for chest. My incline was at a plateau (I probably fell off it by now though). Anyway,

Flat Bench Barbell - 4 sets, 4-6 reps each
Dips (weight belt was nowhere to be found) - 2 sets, 7-8 reps each
Incline Dumbbell Press - 2 sets, 3-6 reps each
resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 of 2 pages