Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Spine Curve = No flat stomach?

kane250
kane250
United States
2006/06/19, 04:21 PM
This may sound weird but hopefully some of you will have answers out there to this.

My spine isn't exactly 100% straight. I dont have scoliosis or anything, but my lower back portion of my spine curves toward the front of my body making my stomach section stick out further. If you look at me standing from the side it always looks like im pregnant or something because my posture isn't straight up due to this.

So what I'm wondering is if I work my lower back alot and try and develop muscle, I'm sure it will at least fill in that area where it looks like an S curve, but is my stomach always going to puff out even if I diet well and work my abs?
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/06/19, 04:27 PM
Ok here is the thing scoliosis is not the only type of curve for the spine that is a deformity. I would go get checked out by a orthopeadic ( i spelled that wrong) doctor. Of course work that are out as well.

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!
The Men and Boys are Separated by one thing: The Squat Cage!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/06/19, 04:32 PM
Interesting...my ten year old daughter has this same problem.I noticed as she got older her "milk gut"(as we called it)Wasn't getting smaller like the rest of the girls her age.I took a closer look at her and saw that her spine was in that S shape your referring to.I took her to the Dr and they said because of the curve in her back she never developed the abdominal muscles she needs to hold herself up correctly so her tummy was just hanging out there.They prescribed situps and crunches to help her train her muscle to hold herself up properly.That was about a year ago,and her posture has improved.When she is relaxed you can still see her tummy stick out funny,but if we mention something to her she is now at least able to straighten up.So I would suggest abdominal excersises and really thinking about your posture.
crazy_cat_06
crazy_cat_06
Australia
2006/06/28, 02:56 AM
What you could very possibly have is a 'sway back'. I have one and it makes my lower back curve in more and pokes my stomach out a bit. Im pretty sure they're genetic; half my family have it. Ive found that my lower back is weaker and more prone to damage and aches. Sit ups, core stomach muscle and lower back strengthening helps.. But if you have what i have then you just have to live with it. Stand up tall and pull your stomach in as often as you think of it..
brittany03
brittany03
United States
2006/07/11, 10:17 PM
i have scoliosis and i have a hunchback every time i put on weight so now i know not only for me but for health reasons i have to keep my weight down
melissarosa
melissarosa
Canada
2017/03/07, 11:12 PM (Edited: melissarosa - 2017/03/07, 11:15 PM)
I have scoliosis and ever since last year I noticed my stomach sticks out a lot and makes me look fat. I had surgery when I was 12 for scoliosis (14 years ago),so I have two metal rods in my back so I can't bend my back which I think is the reason why my stomach sticks out so much. Do you think this can be the reason for it? I want to have surgery to get rid of the rods and make my back straight once and for all then maybe my body would look normal.
kevin619
kevin619
United States
2018/07/11, 12:03 PM
You may very well have a combination of a few things. First if you have tight hip flexors, this will start to pull your pelvis forward and down. This would create the pot belly. Also a strong back with weak abdomin would also do the same. I would suggest that you do some stretches daily for your hip flexors and strengthen your core.