Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Alcohol-BEER

qualters
qualters
United States
2002/05/14, 08:17 PM
How bad is it to consume beer from a building muscle stand point? Is it better to drink vodka or something else if you choose to drink? I also understand the whole moderation thing, does this apply to alcohol consumption too?
Thanks!
BQ
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/05/14, 10:29 PM
Drinking anything at all is really bad as far as working out goes... and has adverse effects on muscle growth.. I did some crappy speech that involved this a while ago.. musclemedia.com has a question they answer on that... -> "Alcohol decreases protein synthesis and affects Type II muscle fibers (the ones used in explosive kinds of activities like intense weight training) more than Type I (the fibers used primarily in endurance kinds of activities). Excessive use of alcohol or binge drinking can result in decreased levels of testosterone and increased levels of cortisol (a muscle-destroying hormone)."

There you have it.. there are a few positive effects of drinking some alcohol in 'moderation' but there are still a whole slew of negatives that will easily outweigh any of the positives... I also read somewhere that the whole moderation thing (2 drinks a day for men/1 for women) was just something they made up to help current alcoholics cut back... If your GOING to drink anyway i'm not sure what to tell you... you could try to drink a moderate amount and have a lot of water and so on.. but usually alcohol and diets don't mix because it might make you want to eat more later after it robs you of a lot of stuff... besides that.. if I drink for a night its not to drink a 'moderate' amount.. the goal for the night is always a buzz or blackout...
jsambu
jsambu
United States
2002/05/14, 10:52 PM
let me just say that alcohol has calories too. they are dead calories so your body doesnt really use em. that means that either that get flushed out or they turn to fat.
1 gram of carb = 4 calories
1 gram of protein = 4 calories
1 gram of fat = 9 calories
1 gram of alcohol = 7 calories
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/05/15, 01:39 AM
Yes jsambu finally some useful info. Good point from you.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/05/15, 12:34 PM
It's a choice that you have to make. At least for me it is. I am like fireloard, if I drink it's to get DRUNK. So it's completely counter-productive to workout then drink.

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.
qualters
qualters
United States
2002/05/15, 03:39 PM
i am around alcholo all the time, It doesnt really do anything for me, and I rarely drink to see double. I can have 2 beers if i go out and call it quits. Also is it better todrink a light beer or liquer, like vodka?
thanks for all the info!
BQ
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/05/15, 04:13 PM
2 beers would be all right if its just when your going out but just remember overall alcohol doesn't have a place in a real diet.. Like js said alcohol has dead or empty ( http://www.dummies.com/Health/Nutrition/principles_of_nutrition/0-7645-5180-9_0004.html ) calories so your body doesn't really use most of those efficiently.. and sure a light beer has less calories but like cain said any drinking is really counter-productive to your training... this article should help you if you know your going to drink anyway.. their tips on the side are pretty good.. and the article should help clear up anymore questions you have about it...

http://www.canoe.ca/HealthMayeMusk/alcohol.html
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/05/15, 04:16 PM
I've always been told that hard alchohol is better for athletes as it doesn't have as many calories. But I don't know about other effects.

--------------
PetePete
PetePete
United States
2002/05/15, 08:05 PM
After cutting back on alcohol I never really wanted a "drink" any more. When I went out with friends and did order a beer I found that I only could sip about 1/4 of the pint in front of me. Tasted great but I didn't have the overwhelming desire to slam it. This is funny because I loved beer before I started working out. I even brewed beer by the gallons ... it was my passionate hobby. But now, I don't have the desire to drink. I just keep reminding myself of how much work I put into my body then I think of what drinking would do to it. That's it ... no more drinking. I now enjoy tall glass of water and protein shakes.

--------------
PetePete
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/05/16, 10:32 PM
I'm pretty much right there with ya, I still love to drink so I stay away from it.

--------------
PetePete
PetePete
United States
2002/05/17, 12:06 AM
mmm, love to be drinking a tall one right now ... instead I'm choking down a thick protein shake.

============
Quoting from Cainsands:

I'm pretty much right there with ya, I still love to drink so I stay away from it.

=============
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/05/17, 02:22 PM
Oh well, I never had a build like this from drinking!!

--------------