Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Total Gym??

bouncer3322
bouncer3322
United States
2002/04/23, 03:57 PM
I was wondering if this product is anygood for strength training? I read alot about it on the internet and I came across many people that said that they had great results...Im so sick of my bench and wieghts, I want to find something quick so I dont have to change weights all the time from one dumbell to another. Thanks...
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/23, 04:18 PM
Nothing replaces free weights! Total Gym uses your bodyweight, gravity and maybe some bands as its resistance. You won't gain much in the way of mass with this machine, but you'll get a toned and defined look. If you're looking to strength train a particular bodypart, why don't you check out the powerlifting forum?

--------------
**_Robert_**
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/04/23, 07:50 PM
It really depends on what kind of strength you're after. To me, strength is the ability to lift an insane amount of weight. To someone else, strength may be defined as being able to bench 115lbs instead of 95lbs. No matter how you define strength, freeweights are the answer. The total gym is a total rip-off in my opinion. If you are bored with freeweights, then you may need to change your workout. Stick with freeweights, but do new excercises or change things up a bit so you're not so bored. Try lifting heavier weights and strive for better personal records.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
Mathiau
Mathiau
Costa Rica
2002/07/24, 12:08 AM
totalgym = total waste from what i have been told over on ironmag.

i am building a home gym set, for about $1100 US i am getting a very nice set up.

u would need to register to see this post.

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9344

--------------
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯The trouble with life is there’s no background music¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯Some people are alive only because it’s illegal to kill them¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯God must love stupid people, he made so many of them¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯Life ain't short, your just dead for too frick'n dam long!`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸They know what is what, but they don't know what is what, they just strut,WTF!¸.·´¯)

dakota68
dakota68
United States
2004/03/25, 09:19 PM
Ok, all things in perspective "cross training is a good thing", if your bodybuiding(eating hideous yet proper amounts of all vital nutrients, hoping to gain mass out the ass, then stick with weights).But the problem with SOME dudes who lift is they forget to leave their egos at the door, sometimes cross training is great for psychological reasons(also some guys who lift laugh at "guys who lift kettleballs as well" even though THEY ARE TRUELLY STRONGER IN a ifferent capacity".I have a friend whos a professional gymnist and makes maybe 75 percent of these guys look like "moderatly fit bodybuilders" in comparison(and he has a different type of strength in a different capicity)Want my advice? train with both(just like you do cardio, stretch, and incorporate different exercise to keep from giong stagnant)that is what a true pro does, he leaves no stone unturned!
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2004/03/26, 02:53 PM
I had a total gym for a while, and if you weigh a lot, it could help with the muscle mass. For instance, my husband weighs close to 300lbs. On the highest setting, you are lifting 60% of your body weight. That would mean he would be lifting 180lbs. To me, that seems like a lot. Just thought I would help break it out for you.
Kyrah
Kyrah
United States
2004/03/26, 04:24 PM
On a slightly different angle, I've heard that it works really well as a Pilates machine, had you tried using it like that Cristal? Or in your opinion do you think it would work as such?

--------------
Love me as I am . . .
Let me worry about how I look!
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2004/03/29, 06:57 PM
It deffinately stretches you out. There is an attatchment you can put your ankle in and it pulls your leg waaaaayyy up over your head, so yes, it would be good for stretching and pilates type exersizes.
elkevinoebay
elkevinoebay
United States
2007/11/22, 11:55 AM
Hi all. I'm new to FreeTrainers, and I've just recently begun using my total gym approx. a week ago. I would have to say that the Total Gym is pretty great for getting definition and losing the fat. It has only been a week on it for me and I can already see results, I've noticeably worked off some 'dunlap' from my stomache, and my arms are a little bigger a more defined. I am very happy with my Total Gym purchase thus far...now I just need to grow a beard...

--------------
Chuck Norris\\'s tears have the ability to cure cancer. Too bad he never cries.
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/11/26, 01:35 PM
I have something similar and don't have all the free weights I used to as when we moved they were my son's and he took them with him and we have one gym in town and it is disgusting. I found great definition using my all in one and wouldn't get rid of it just for the mere fact that I have a tendency to use it more when I am rushed for time as I have the routine down good and love it. For those that are looking for body building workouts, no, this wouldn't be what you'd need, but for definition and weight loss, I have been very happy. I still have a few free weights I utilize, but I am very happy with my all in one right now, though I can see changing down the line, right now I am not at the full limitations the machine has for someone in my range. It isn't the same, no, it does not have the same effect as all the equipment at the gym, but for what I need it is working great and I am happy to have something that shows results. If you are using it, seeing results -hey, that is great!

--------------
Veda

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. - Mabel Newcomber

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. - Napoleon Hill
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/12/06, 10:15 PM
Not to mislead you, but I think you are referring to the one that Chuck Norris advocates, right? I don't have something like that, mine are actual weights, it is referred to as a "total gym" many exercises and tools in one machine, sorry, the "Total Gym" you may be referring to has always made me wonder, too, as I believe it is based upon your weight being used as resistance, isn't it? If so, that I would imagine would have the possibility of limiting your progress??

============
Quoting from vedakathryn:

I have something similar and don't have all the free weights I used to as when we moved they were my son's and he took them with him and we have one gym in town and it is disgusting. I found great definition using my all in one and wouldn't get rid of it just for the mere fact that I have a tendency to use it more when I am rushed for time as I have the routine down good and love it. For those that are looking for body building workouts, no, this wouldn't be what you'd need, but for definition and weight loss, I have been very happy. I still have a few free weights I utilize, but I am very happy with my all in one right now, though I can see changing down the line, right now I am not at the full limitations the machine has for someone in my range. It isn't the same, no, it does not have the same effect as all the equipment at the gym, but for what I need it is working great and I am happy to have something that shows results. If you are using it, seeing results -hey, that is great!

=============

--------------
Veda

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. - Mabel Newcomber

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. - Napoleon Hill