Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Fasting

bibigirl
bibigirl
Belgium
2002/04/23, 08:38 AM
I have a few friends that will be going on a 2 or 3 day fast of water and fruit. They do not work out, so i think it would be okay for them, but what about for me? I work out 5 days a week and I am wondering if this would be a good idea for me to try or not? Would it set me back at all or maybe even help me?
jamesz
jamesz
United States
2002/04/23, 09:38 AM
I don't think it sounds like a good idea at all. Fruit is fine and is good for you. But it is only one part of the food pyramid. You have to get your protein, grains, dairy. None of which is more important than the other. But go without one for a couple of days, and you will notice.

ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/04/23, 09:47 AM
James is correct. Unless you are doing it for religious reasons...(my Pastor & his wife Fast and Pray on occassion)
I see no reason too do this. There is no long term benefit to three days with no food. It is better to eat clean and LITE for a few days keeping some protein in the diet.

--------------
Persistence and failure never stay in the same room......Leslie
bibigirl
bibigirl
Belgium
2002/04/23, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the advise. I really didn't think it was good to do that's why I asked. Glad I found out before I tried it!
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/04/23, 01:56 PM
I think I would seriously keel over. I need that enrgy.

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.
weaponX
weaponX
United Kingdom
2002/04/25, 05:50 AM
I do the occassional 3 day fast, just having water or fruit/vegtable juice, but i still use my protein drinks if I train on one of those days, can't really say that I noticed to great a drop in performance, did 40 mins on a stepper at 80% of my HR max, and a weights routine in the evening on the second day, and 1 1/2 hours of martial arts training on the 3rd day, normally have a high carbs day following the fast, then back to my normal diet.

It works for me, but I know people that can't go a morning without feeling faint, I very rarely feel hungry, so maybe thats why I find it so easy to do, but would not recommend it to anybody.

I tend to use my body as a bit of a laboratory, trying different things out so i can make my own decisions, not blindly follow general opinion.

--------------
"I'm the best I am at what I do ~
But what I do best isn't very nice"
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/04/25, 05:53 AM
< passes out from his hypoglycemia just imagining what fasting would even be like!

Ugh!

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
bibigirl
bibigirl
Belgium
2002/04/25, 06:06 AM
weaponX- thanks a lot for your comments. i have been busy reading why I shouldn't do a fast, and now I am looking up all the reasons why I should try it. I used to do it before, but I was never working out as much or as hard as I am now. I'm a lot like you, I use my body as a lab as well! Maybe I'll try it next week and see how it goes!

rev8bal- lmao!!!
weaponX
weaponX
United Kingdom
2002/04/25, 06:39 AM
bibigirl - try it, you can always stop if you don't like the way its making you feel, or if you feel that your workout is suffering, i find that I can do 3 days fairly easily now, with exercise and a fairly active full time job, I did think about having a week off training (and work), and trying a 5 day fast without the protein drinks, just MA training and some meditation exercises and possibly some yoga to round it off, think i will wait for the summer, less hassle getting time off work.

--------------
"I'm the best I am at what I do ~
But what I do best isn't very nice"