Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Back Pain after doing Squats

ATIGER
ATIGER
United States
2006/03/09, 05:22 PM
If your form is a little off, where would you mainly feel it in your back? I did squats and still think that I used good form but I have a slight pain in my back. It is more like I slept wrong but sleeping is not the cause.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/03/10, 06:11 PM
low back, if you aren't stabilizing and it is bending.

upper back, possibly, if you are having to use it too much to keep the bar on your traps or if your grip is too narrow.

middle/lower back, possibly, if you got off balance when unracking or during performance of squat and twisted with the bar.

--------------

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help with man with the wrong mental attitude.
- W. W. Ziege
JonathanDavid
JonathanDavid
United States
2006/03/12, 04:26 PM
I have a similar issue... My top spinal bone( Dont know what to call it...vertibrae?...IDK) seems to take the brunt of the weights, and do I EVER feel it the next day! I'm guessing I have the wrong form because there is no way anyone would continue to do squats with that kind of pain and potentially serious injury! So I guess my question is where do I rest the weight on my back so I can prevent this from happening again? Thank You in advance!
ATIGER
ATIGER
United States
2006/03/13, 02:30 PM
That is my next question also. Where exactly do you put the bar during squats and how wide should me grip be? The pain is about right betwwen my shoulder blades in the middle of my back. It hurts worse when I turn my head to either side. It is not severe pain by any means but is uncomfortable. Is this type of pain common with squats done slightly incorrect? Can I possbily ask anymore questions in one post?
mysticgraces
mysticgraces
Canada
2006/03/13, 02:59 PM
Here is the best way to do squats according to FT

1. This movement is performed with a barbell loaded or unloaded.
2. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent. With the barbell on a rack, step underneath and position the bar across the back of your shoulders. Raise the bar off the rack and step away carefully. Keep your head up.
3. Now, keeping your head and your back straight, lower yourself by bending at your knees. Once you are parallel with the ground, pause and without bouncing return to the starting position. Be sure to push with your feet including your heels flat on the ground. Also, do not lean forward if possible.
4. Slowly, come back up to the starting position.

Helpfull Hint:

This is one of the best movements for developing overall thigh shape. Especially to develop mass and strength in the front of the thigh, the quadriceps. It is very important to keep a few things in mind. Always keep your back flat and your head up as well. Also, push with the heels of your feet, this will take stress from your lower back and target the quadriceps more effeciently. Good Luck!

2006/03/13, 03:19 PM
Lighten the weight until your form is perfect. Read the powerlifting forum all there is on squats. Use fit buddy to find anything else onsquatting. Rev8ball has a squatting form post that is excellent. If you hurt from squats, your form is wrong and/or you're lifting too heavy.

--------------
Sometimes life is like herding cats.

Charlie
2006/03/13, 03:20 PM
atiger the bar should sit on the meat of your shoulder blades.

--------------
Sometimes life is like herding cats.

Charlie
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/03/15, 08:51 AM

The bar should sit on your traps/shoulders - shrug up your shoulders and pull your shoulder blades together, then lower your shoulders. That should create a meaty spot to place the bar. Your hands should be far enough out that your elbows are comfortable. your hands shouldn't be taking the weight of the bar, just keeping it balanced. Work with just the bar for a while to get a comfortable position.

If your vertebrea stick out and the bar hits them, wrap a towel around the bar or use a pad.

--------------

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help with man with the wrong mental attitude.
- W. W. Ziege
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/03/15, 08:53 AM
atiger - sounds like maybe you pulled a muscle a little, or your traps are really tight, try rubbing your traps, sytretching your neck and if it continues to be hard to move your head you want to get that checked out.

--------------

- W. W. Ziege
ATIGER
ATIGER
United States
2006/03/15, 12:50 PM
Thanks - it fells like a bruise right on my spine. I can reach back over my head and touch the vertebrea which is tender (like a bruise)= It does not really bother me except when I turn my head far to either side. i will go off on the squats for a week or so to see what it does. Would the bruise pain being right on my vertebrea be a slightly pulled muscle?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/03/16, 07:42 AM
could be, or you could have bruised the bone a bit with the bar..I don't know, i am not a doctor and if i was i would have to see you... Try icing it and see how it is in a day or so, if it doesn't feel better, see a doctor.

--------------

- W. W. Ziege
ATIGER
ATIGER
United States
2006/03/16, 09:28 AM
Nah, you do not need to see me. I think that you got it. It is where I put the bar but I did not even think of that since I use a pad with it. It already feels a better. I laid off the squats last night and still can barely walk. Stairs are my worst nightmare today. Thanks for the advice. I knew that I would get the info on here. Happy work outs :big_smile: