Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22774

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Sticky Time savers

Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/02/18, 04:33 PM
Just wanted to know if anybody cared to share any of the little things they may do to save time when it comes to preparing their food for the week? I still to this day don't prepare for the whole week, but would like to.
Any suggestions would be very helpful. From making up large amounts, freezing them, how long things stay good, to what works best for you on a daily basis to save time and make your daily grind easier.
Do you have morning, mid-morning, lunch, supper, evening and bedtime routines you might want to share?
Like I said anything along these lines would be greatly appreciated, and I believe others would benefit from it also.

Thanks!

--------------
Seize the day!
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/02/18, 06:49 PM
Hey Mojo - Like said in an earlier post I make a huge pot of beans and veggies on the weekend and freeze them in 1 guart containers with one always thawed out. I take one to work and set another in the fridge from the freezer. I also buy family packs of chicken (I live alone) to do on the grill and just put a different spice on each breast so it doesn't get boring. Sunday is the day I spend the most time in the kitchen and I'll cut up a couple bunches of celery and take that to work on Monday. There's usually enough that it'll last till Friday as a snack. Same with nuts, I keep several different varieties at home and work. I buy tuna by the case at Sam's and also keep some at work. Kind of painless once you get used to doing it.

--------------
Mike
in Pensacola Now.
Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/02/18, 11:36 PM
Thanks Mike, the idea for the beans is probably do-able now since my latest gf flew the coop. Which brings me to the chicken, do you freeze it after you grill it? I do, do the tuna thing, by the case. Probably the only simple part of my eating. I may opt for making a big pot of chile instead of the beans alone. Thanks again Mike.
Still looking for any other input people, keep the ideas coming.

Thanks again!

--------------
Seize the day!
chellie1234
chellie1234
United States
2006/02/19, 12:15 AM
I bought a crap load of glad tupperware w/ divided containers. I pick 3 different meals for the week and cook them all on sunday. I usually make one thing in the crockpot and the others are usually baked. I bought a scale so I can portion out the servings. Then all you have to do is throw it in the microwave and voila!:)
mushie
mushie
Canada
2006/02/19, 08:43 AM
How about pre made salads at the grocery store? You might find those useful!!! I know I have.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2006/02/19, 04:25 PM
Boil 24 eggs at a time for the week. 10 Minced turkey burgers bbq them in advance, they are great for a lunch with an egg and veggies.

--------------
Scales are for dead weight: We are not dead yet!
Still trying to find out how to do the Hollywood Free Press.

Ivan

Montreal Canada
mushie
mushie
Canada
2006/02/19, 04:52 PM
good idea with the turkey burgers! I boil my eggs fresh every morning when I jump out of the shower. By the time I'm dressed and my hair is dry my egg is cooked.
Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/02/19, 10:50 PM
This is working out great people. I'm still listening! Great posts so far!
The bit about divided gladware might work well for me chellie. Lately it's all I can do to keep my portions controlled.
Never tried the minced turkey for anything, geuss I need to try it out.
Same with the pre-made salad, always made it fresh.

--------------
Seize the day!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/02/20, 07:51 AM
Sounds like you got your answer, mojo!

I take time on Sundays and Wednesdays to do 'pre chef' stuff - chop veggies, cook and portion out food, plan meals.

I also tend to make an extra serving whenever i cook dinner for my family - that way I have another meal for one of my lunches during the week.

I also keep on hand lots of frozen veggies - easy to toss into the microwave for a quick side dish.

I buy extra lean ground turkey and weigh it and wrap servings individually so all I have to do is cook them when I want them, same thing with extra lean hamburger.

There are a lot of pre-cut veggies available now, but they are more expensive than if you buy a head of cauliflower, a head of broccoli, a bag of celery, etc and chop them up yourself.

Tupperware/plastic containers are a lifesaver!

--------------
Never, never, never, never give up.
- Winston Churchill
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/02/21, 08:44 PM
Healthy Choice country vegetable soup! 1 can is a good serving for lunch and has lots of veggies, fiber. You just need to add some pre-cooked chicken breast strips or lean beef for protein!

--------------
Never, never, never, never give up.
- Winston Churchill
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/02/22, 02:18 PM
Every Sunday I prepare something that I can have on hand for the week. I use my BBQ alot (even have to dig my way thru the snow sometimes). The advantage of the BBQ is you can cook everything all at once and it typically takes less than 30min. I usually make 2 batches of something.

Last week it was 10 marinated chicken breast and 2 pork tenderloins.

This week it was a batch of Goulash soup (lean beef, beef broth, canned tomatoes, barley, celery, tomatoe soup, thyme)-yummy- as well as a batch of chili (made in crock pot-beef, can black beans, can chick peas, celery, can stewed tomatoes, chili spice, hot sauce, bit of corn).

Sometimes I'll buy flank steak and marinate it and cook it on the BBQ. Slice it all up and through into a container in the fridge.

Sometimes I buy a whole roasted chicken from the grocery store, remove all the skin and then put all the meat into a container.

We often have salmon or rainbow trout for dinner on Sundays, so I'll buy a huge piece of fish so I have leftovers for my lunch--I love it cold! In fact, I try to cook too much of whatever we have on Sundays, so I have leftovers...Sundays are our only "family" meals.

I often cook up a large batch of rice using a rice cooker as well. I always have pre-cut salad in a bag in the fridge along with red peppers(my fav). Once a week I'll drop by the grocery store (I did this today) and buy one of their pre-made salads like chicken feta greek with a light dressing and have that for lunch, for a change.

Bagged frozen shrimp is also handy to have on hand.

Like Caravan, I also cook up at least 8 hard boiled eggs (place eggs in cold water and bring to boil then cover and remove from heat and let sit for 15 min, then immediately cool by running under cold water). I peel them all right away and put in a container in the fridge. My husband eats most of the eggs for breakfast, so they're always consumed within a week. Occasionally I'll make myself some egg salad with them.

My favorite breakfast is now egg substitute which is all egg white-but looks yellow- and has peppers mixed in--fast and easy to make an omelet. I love them with salsa!

All of the pre-cooking I do takes very little time and it makes such a difference to have healthy stuff on hand for throwing a lunch or dinner together. I store everything in large Ziplock or Glad containers (these are great and dishwasher safe!) I just take out what I need and return the container to the fridge. I removed the crisper drawer at the bottom of my fridge, so the large empty space is where I stack all the stuff. Everything typically gets consumed within the week. I rarely freeze anything because I always forget I have it in the freezer. I no longer buy pre-packaged frozen dinners, other than the salads for lunch.

I'm eating 100% better since I started doing this!

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/02/22, 11:52 PM
Amy(if I may)...yes I have my answer and then some. I am very pleased at the attention this thread's been given, only thing is, fly has me soooo hungry now talking about BBQ this and BBQ that, I'm droolin all over the place. I hope everyone continues to share their little habits and such with us. It really helps out alot.
Thanks again!

--------------
Seize the day!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/03/05, 10:32 AM
Eight Timesaving Tips

At some time or another, we all find ourselves up against the clock! For some of us, taking the time to shop and cook healthy meals as outlined on The South Beach Diet™ seems like a luxury we can't afford — it's just easier to pick up the phone and order take-out. But here's an interesting spin: Eating regular, healthy meals reduces stress, which will actually help
you manage your time better. Still, if you're having trouble carving out time for meal preparation, here are eight simple timesaving tips:

1. Always keep a bag of prewashed salad greens on hand.

2. Cook up big meals once a week and freeze the leftovers in smaller portions. Then reheat your leftovers on a night you're running behind schedule.

3. Enjoy low-maintenance foods, like canned tuna, poached salmon, low-fat or nonfat plain yogurt, or ready-made hummus.

4. Prepare chopped vegetables once a week and keep them in the fridge.

5. Get up from your desk during your lunch break and take a brisk 20-minute walk. You can skip a workout later in the day.

6. Have a serving of nuts or a cheese stick on hand for days when you can't stop for a snack.

7. Enjoying an oversized restaurant meal? You'll enjoy it twice as much if you take half of it home in a doggie bag to eat for lunch tomorrow.

8. Take turns grocery shopping, preparing meals, and cleaning up with family members so one person doesn't get stuck doing all of the "chores."

This is from the South Beach Diet newsletter.