Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

Financial Anorexia?

cranial_kitten
cranial_kitten
United States
2006/01/18, 11:14 AM
This sounds so strange.

My fiance and I pretty much live paycheck to paycheck. We have little to no savings, though we put away when we can. Sometimes, an unexpected bill will cripple us, and we don't have money to go grocery shopping for a little while.

This triggers something in me, and I don't eat. I go for weeks, sometimes months, without food. It doesn't matter if we have food. If we don't have money to buy more, I don't eat. His job is more physically demanding than mine is...he need the energy more than I do. I can go without eating. He can't. I go without food so he can eat.

I know this is an unhealthy way to live, but sometimes unexpected things happen. Is there ANYTHING, short of finding better paying work, that I can do to stop starving myself and hoarding food when times get tough? I've talked to doctors...apparantly if you don't have issues with your body, it's not REAL anorexia. Well, whatever it is, I want it fixed.
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2006/01/18, 01:10 PM
I know exactly how you feel. My husband does physically demanding work all day, while I sit at a desk. When times are tough, if it comes choosing between me eating breakfast and/or lunch and him eating...it goes to him. I never considered it anorexia, but I do know it's not the best for me, and I am trying to change my view when it gets hard like it is now.
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2006/01/19, 02:08 PM
I can relate to both of you, too. When I was a single mother, I went without daily to make sure my kids ate, sometimes having nothing but toast for weeks and lately we have had some financial difficulties and for a long time I wasn't able to eat properly as the old "trigger" as you said cranial_kitten, kicked in and said SAVE THE REST! I have found inexpensive ways to eat what I need now, but I know that this can be a struggle for many, just now I had gone to the freezer and went to pull out something for lunch and realized then there wouldn't be enough for the rest of the family, put it back and got some canned chicked out of the pantry, lol, just kicks in without much thought.

The only thing you can do for this is shop cheap and get as much bang for your buck as possible, if need be go to the food shelf in your area to ensure you are eating, it isn't a matter of being proud, it is a matter of survival. Other than that, I don't know what to say, we just went through THREE unexpected bills that each were over $700 after Christmas and after bringing four other family members into the home and depleting all our savings of the past couple years, so I can honestly relate to paycheck to paycheck living, but you have to eat!!

--------------
Veda
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)
Just live life and enjoy it!
tamtamjo
tamtamjo
United States
2006/01/25, 02:48 AM
Try frugile.com for some easy recipies that will last the family.
Here is one from me...
Ground Hamburger 1lb
1 can rotel
2 cans Ranch style beans
3 cans Ministrone soup

- Very cheap and not unhealthy - goes a long way too. Please feed yourself too.
Lonegirl
Lonegirl
Canada
2006/01/25, 09:46 AM
Having gone through being on welfare (back when hubby and I first moved in together) I know what you mean....Now I have the experience and look back and realize that I could have been much healthier and fit ( went from 140-230 living off pasta with mustard, KD, grilled cheese (processed) sandwiches, cheap junk food)had somone taught me to shop on a budget for healthy food...yes it can be done...Buy in bulk...Oatmeal, pastas, chickpeas (and various beans/legumes), frozen veggies, Xtra lean ground beef, eggs, canned fruit in juice not syrup, powdered skim milk, rice...Learn to make soups/stews from leftovers (my mom always called it garbage can soup as it had a little bit of everything in it) IT can be done and for your health sake it should be done...buy in bulk, rice helps the food spread longer...freeze leftovers so they aren't wasted...don't buy junk food (it seems very cheap but you could have bought some healthy food, that will nourish you longer, with the cash spent on it)