Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

New guy needs help haha

Stangs12
Stangs12
Canada
2005/10/31, 02:06 PM
Hey im 5'5 140 lbs and basically i need to bulk up without losing my foot speed(training for football/soccer/hockey) is there anyway i can do this?

--------------
The guy whose willing to die is gonna win that inch, and we know if you add up all those inches thats gonna make the difference between winnin and losin

-Any Given Sunday
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/10/31, 06:21 PM
If yoru an athlete then you need to train like one......athlete 1st worry about how you look later, or in off season. When an athlete starts trying to be vain, he looses alot of his performance ability.

Thing is IF you get bigger, you WILL loose some speed. I mean take a V6 put it in a honda size car....you have a fast car... put it in a sedan size car.. will it be as fast ? ....prolly not....

You need to have functional mass/ strength gains.

Squats,cleans should be the 2 big...lifts.

--------------
Friends don't let friends squat high...

People don't reach thier true potental, only those who seek it.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2005/10/31, 09:26 PM
Size does not always equal strength. I could weigh 100 pounds, but if I hit you hard enough, it could kill you. That's scientific fact. Work on your power output. Do some powerlifting, and work on explosive strength. If you gain some muscle mass with the strength, that's ok as long as you keep working on your footwork and speed. That's what will help you for football.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/10/31, 09:48 PM
Size DEFIANETLY doesn't mean strength. I am proof of that.

As for foot speed, ladder drills, dot drill, and combine training (figure eight drills, etc) as well as plyometrics will help foot speed. As for running speed, the best runners squat. And clean.

--------------
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. ~~~Hunter S. Thompson

If you smoke or don’t wear your seatbelt, please don’t tell me the deadlift is dangerous.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/10/31, 09:51 PM
A good example of this is look at a sprinter at the start. His forward leg is bent forward, ankle dorsiflexed, with his hips at a 90 degree angle to his body, ankle perpendicular to body... same as a parallel squat.
His back leg will be in full triple extension, toes extended. Sound familiar. Same position as a clean.

--------------
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. ~~~Hunter S. Thompson

If you smoke or don’t wear your seatbelt, please don’t tell me the deadlift is dangerous.
Stangs12
Stangs12
Canada
2005/11/01, 02:41 PM
andrew can i ask what im being vain about? speed is a large part of my "game" im not worried about how i look im just worried about getting slow, i do understand what you are saying im just wondering how much it would effect my game and is it worth it to bulk up and lose what made me decent in the first place?

Thanks for the comments guys i appreciate it:)

--------------
The guy whose willing to die is gonna win that inch, and we know if you add up all those inches thats gonna make the difference between winnin and losin

-Any Given Sunday
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/11/01, 11:05 PM
Sory when I hear the word 'bulk' I usually think of bodybuilding. Meaning I want big arms/chest etc.

But regardless everyones point is, you don't need bulk, excess bulk will slow you down.You need useable size, so you can have useable strength.

Besides big guys can hit what they can't catch.

--------------
Friends don't let friends squat high...

People don't reach thier true potental, only those who seek it.
2005/11/02, 04:40 AM
You can definitely gain muscle and not lose speed....I am a proof of that....I was 140lb at 16 at 5'10...granted I wasn't an athlete or at least not a very good one.....but when i got up to 200lb+ I became much more powerful and explosive....but then I was training for strength....

I would focus on the big compound lifts for low reps and plyometrics....problem with that tho is significant soreness following such workouts....which may interfere with your athletic performance....so definitely think everythink through

eat 8 meals daily, and eat immediately post workouts with lots of simple carbs to spike insulin....
raulduke
raulduke
United States
2005/11/02, 09:31 AM
Good quote wrestler, I'll finish it for you.........
"The others --- the living --- are those who pushed their control as far as they felt they could handle it, and then pulled back, or slowed down, or did whatever they had to when it came time to choose between Now and Later.

But the edge is still Out there. Or maybe it's In. The association of motorcyles with LSD is no accident of publicity. They are both a means to an end, to the place of definitions." --- HST '65

I hope you don't look to him for fitness inspiration though.
:laugh:

--------------
The strong shall stand, the weak will fall by the wayside.

Res ipsa loquitur
Stangs12
Stangs12
Canada
2005/11/02, 03:49 PM
no problem andrew...one question though i am new and i dont usually work out...big compound lifts??? thanks again for the help guys!:big_smile:

--------------

-Any Given Sunday
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/11/02, 06:42 PM
i think the quote applies well to training whether it was meant to or not. I already knew the rest of the quote. But i think it applies well. Louie Simmons is always quoted as saying the best powerlifters in the world live on the line between injury and excellence, and others have been quoted saying that it isn't until someone goes over this proverbial edge, which goes by many names, that they truly know their full potential and their limits. It is only those that are willing to exceed these limits that ever truly learn them.
Besides, inspiration and advice are two different things.

--------------