Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

Fats?

GangstaPimp
GangstaPimp
United States
2005/10/12, 07:58 PM
I filled out my nutritional plan and it says to eat 42g fat. I am 13. If i did eat that much fat would iit help me get muscle or could i get muscle without it?
michelle9510
michelle9510
United States
2005/10/13, 07:02 PM
I would say you need that much fat per day for sure. Just try to get good fat (unsaturated) but you do still need a very small amount of saturated fat too. You still have a lot of growing to do so don't deprive yourself of any nutrients (even fats).
bropie
bropie
Canada
2005/10/14, 08:53 AM
exactly. fats are a very important part of our diet. alot of people think we dont need them for anything but gaining fat, but this is totally wrong. you just need to take in the right fats to reep the benefits. it makes you feel full, helps with hormone production, shuttling nutrients, regulates metabolism, and helps build muscle, among other things.

especially at your age, DO NOT CUT OUT FATS! and being only 13, i wouldnt worry about calorie counting yet. just focus on a healthy diet.. and fill out your profile please. :)
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/10/15, 04:00 PM
If you are lacksidasical about taking in that much fat, just try to make sure that most of that fat is poly-unsaturaed fats. Unsaturated fats are very important to building muscle, especially in an adolescent or pre-pubescent teen.

--------------
Your two most important minerals: Iron and Chalk.

If you smoke or don’t wear your seatbelt, please don’t tell me the deadlift is dangerous.
rut5858
rut5858
United States
2005/12/21, 11:17 PM
another key is to make sure your getting a good balance of fat. You need a good mix of omega 3s, 6s, and 9s. Most Americans don't have a problem getting the omega 6s, but if you don't eat a lot of fish/seafood (like me) take a fish oil supplement to have a healthier balance of omega3s to 6s
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/12/23, 12:22 AM
damn, we need an edit feature...
my post should read "mono and poly-unsaturated".
The monounsaturated fats are as important (many say more important) as the polyunsaturated fats.
Excellent point about the omega fatty acids. If you are going to take an omega supplement though, just take fish oils, because the best absorption occurs through a proper balance. This balance is found in fish oil.

--------------
Pain is only temporary, it is in your mind. If you can still walk, then you can still run.

============
Quoting from 7707mutt:
The squat cage is holy ground.
============
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/12/23, 12:52 AM
If you are not in an energy surplus, you will have no problems. Some saturated fat is shown to have a positive effect on test levels, among many other healthy aspects. It is not the villian the media makes it out to be, and thank goodness folks are starting to take some notice. Another case of mass media leading to hysteria.

Make sure as wrestler says to get get your Omega 3's.

The reason fish oil is the choice is due to the availability of DHA/EPA. In flax oil for instance, the parent is ALA, and well....don't feel like typing anymore. Just heed the advice.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

2005/12/23, 01:55 AM
-http://familydoctor.org/302.xml
-http://www.bchealthguide.org/healthfiles/hfile68f.stm
-http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/foodlab.html
-http://www.4woman.gov/faq/diet.htm

Generally lean towards various fish, nuts, seeds, low fat dairy, avacados as your sources of healthy fat...
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/12/23, 11:06 AM
This is not to say take in all saturated fats by any means, but do not be so afraid of them.

The Benefits Of Saturated Fats

The much-maligned saturated fats-which Americans are trying to avoid-are not the cause of our modern diseases. In fact, they play many important roles in the body chemistry:

Saturated fatty acids constitute at least 50% of the cell membranes. They are what gives our cells necessary stiffness and integrity.
They play a vital role in the health of our bones. For calcium to be effectively incorporated into the skeletal structure, at least 50% of the dietary fats should be saturated.
They lower Lp(a), a substance in the blood that indicates proneness to heart disease. They protect the liver from alcohol and other toxins, such as Tylenol.
They enhance the immune system.
They are needed for the proper utilization of essential fatty acids. Elongated omega-3 fatty acids are better retained in the tissues when the diet is rich in saturated fats.
Saturated 18-carbon stearic acid and 16-carbon palmitic acid are the preferred foods for the heart, which is why the fat around the heart muscle is highly saturated. The heart draws on this reserve of fat in times of stress.
Short- and medium-chain saturated fatty acids have important antimicrobial properties. They protect us against harmful microorganisms in the digestive tract.
The scientific evidence, honestly evaluated, does not support the assertion that "artery-clogging" saturated fats cause heart disease. Actually, evaluation of the fat in artery clogs reveals that only about 26% is saturated. The rest is unsaturated, of which more than half is polyunsaturated.

--------------

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/12/23, 11:12 AM
What About Cholesterol?

And what about cholesterol? Here, too, the public has been misinformed. Our blood vessels can become damaged in a number of ways-through irritations caused by free radicals or viruses, or because they are structurally weak-and when this happens, the body's natural healing substance steps in to repair the damage.

That substance is cholesterol. Cholesterol is a high-molecular-weight alcohol that is manufactured in the liver and in most human cells. Like saturated fats, the cholesterol we make and consume plays many vital roles:

Along with saturated fats, cholesterol in the cell membrane gives our cells necessary stiffness and stability. When the diet contains an excess of polyunsaturated fatty acids, these replace saturated fatty acids in the cell membrane, so that the cell walls actually become flabby.

When this happens, cholesterol from the blood is "driven" into the tissues to give them structural integrity. This is why serum cholesterol levels may go down temporarily when we replace saturated fats with polyunsaturated oils in the diet.

Cholesterol acts as a precursor to vital corticosteroids, hormones that help us deal with stress and protect the body against heart disease and cancer; and to the sex hormones like androgen, testosterone, estrogen and progesterone.

Cholesterol is a precursor to vitamin D, a very important fat-soluble vitamin needed for healthy bones and nervous system, proper growth, mineral metabolism, muscle tone, insulin production, reproduction and immune system function.

The bile salts are made from cholesterol. Bile is vital for digestion and assimilation of fats in the diet.
Recent research shows that cholesterol acts as an antioxidant. This is the likely explanation for the fact that cholesterol levels go up with age. As an antioxidant, cholesterol protects us against free radical damage that leads to heart disease and cancer.

Cholesterol is needed for proper function of serotonin receptors in the brain.48 Serotonin is the body's natural "feel-good" chemical. Low cholesterol levels have been linked to aggressive and violent behavior, depression and suicidal tendencies.

Mother's milk is especially rich in cholesterol and contains a special enzyme that helps the baby utilize this nutrient. Babies and children need cholesterol-rich foods throughout their growing years to ensure proper development of the brain and nervous system.

Dietary cholesterol plays an important role in maintaining the health of the intestinal wall. This is why low-cholesterol vegetarian diets can lead to leaky gut syndrome and other intestinal disorders.

Cholesterol is not the cause of heart disease but rather a potent antioxidant weapon against free radicals in the blood, and a repair substance that helps heal arterial damage (although the arterial plaques themselves contain very little cholesterol.)

--------------

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/12/23, 04:09 PM
I agree, do not neglect saturated fats. The reasoning behind me stating to try and get more unsaturated fats, is that usually most americans do not have a problem getting plenty of saturated fats. I have heard 2-3-1 (poly-mono-sat), but there is not much to research back this up.
Cholesterol- Many people feel cholesterol is the enemy. High cholesterol is not always a result of high cholesterol intake.
Great post Ron.

--------------
Pain is only temporary, it is in your mind. If you can still walk, then you can still run.

============
Quoting from 7707mutt:
The squat cage is holy ground.
============
2sdfky43bm
2sdfky43bm
United States
2006/05/22, 07:54 PM
I have calculated that i hve gone over my fats for my nutrition by 10g. Is that bad? Everthing else in my diet is extremily low. tat include my carbs, protein, and my calories. Can you please give me some tips?:):):big_smile::big_smile: