Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 21, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

Becoming a body builder and genetics

redrider4life1
redrider4life1
United States
2005/09/22, 05:23 PM
I've been lifting for about 4 months now and my diet is very strict. I make sure I get all my vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and protein. The worst thing I eat is probably apple sauce or peanut butter and honey sandwiches.

I have a few friends that lift with me that put me down and tell me it's not possible unless you have the genetics for it. I understand some people have very good genetics like one of my buddies that is 5'7'' 170, lifts once a week doing every body part, and can bench 235 10 times. The kid sits on his ass and just gains muscle mass.

Anyway is there any truth to this? I was a firm believer that you can do anything you want to do which is why I still train as hard as I can and won't let them get to me. Also I am only eating about 3000 calories a day of healthy food, I find I eat more healthy foods, but my calorie intake is much less. I don't want to have to eat shitty foods in order to up my caloric intake.

Mike
lmelchior
lmelchior
United States
2005/09/22, 05:51 PM
I can't really answer your question, but I too have heard the same thing. I am 5'5" female, 123lbs and at 12.5% body fat and am trying to get more defined abs but have been told due to genetics and being a female this is a tough task. So same question, is this possible or are genetics stronger then hard work and a better diet. will Hopefully someone can answered our question.
timmstar
timmstar
Australia
2005/09/23, 08:56 AM
train hard. keep training. give it time. it will come.

12.5% bf for a chick is pritty good, just remember the less bf u want to decrease to the more stricter your diet and training will have to become.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/09/23, 12:21 PM
The earlier you start, the better. If your diet is sound and proper for your needs, you will advance and gain.

Many folks see themselves as hard gainers. These are typically folks whose diet is not up to their needs, so they do not gain. Just because you are the same weight as someone else, their calorie intake that makes them grow may not be the intake to make you grow.

The key is diet...I was at one point every bit of 115 lbs. soaking wet for years. I know how it is, you can gain. You have to do more than just eat healthy, you have to take in a calorie surplus, be able to deal with a bit of fat gain alongside.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
kakaroto
kakaroto
El Salvador
2005/10/14, 04:24 PM
You must remember that genetics are not a limitation.
Genetics are just an obstacle. What each person must do is to find the way that will allow him to progress. And that road can be very hard and can take a long time and experience before finding it.

PAtience, hard training and a good nutrition is what everybody needs.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2005/10/15, 11:56 AM
I believe a lot of it's mental. If you don't think you can gain with what you're doing and you stress about it, it will make a big difference. But if you truly believe an trust in what you're doing and just make smart decisions and be confident in your routine, things will go much smoother for you. Always keep your mind and body open for changes that you need to make, but at the same time don't dog yourself just because your friend might be more gifted than you. I deal with the same thing in basketball. I have friends that naturally can just jump out of the gym, bench press and squat more than me, and be quicker than me. But I bust my tail during the offseason and I always end up being a better player than them, and I have now surpassed them in physical abilities. Just don't compare yourself to them, but at the same time, don't settle for mediocrity in your training. Bust your butt!

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt