Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

Young persons exercises

mciver
mciver
Australia
2005/08/14, 09:27 PM
Can any one advise if (a) it is wise for young children, under the age of five to do exercises, and (b) if there any programs specifically for them? They see us (Mum&Dad) doing our exercises, and they want to join in. I have tried them on a few exercises(not all can be performed by some one so small) just one set and five reps, and they do good. They are 3 1/2 and 4 1/2. I am not a human movement graduate, so i would like some advice, as I don't wish to cause any long or short term problems for them, but on the other hand what a wonderful thing it would be if they can join in. It can't hurt later when they start their schooling to be fit and trim either.

--------------
Fitness befits you, so fit fitness in to your day
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2005/08/14, 11:15 PM
There is nothing wrong with young children to do workouts. There are many myths out there about stunting growth but they're all simply that-myths. I once read a section about this on Joe Defranco's Training Site. However, he did mention that the workout need to be suitable for someone of that age, and that I cannot help you with. I do not know exactly what exercises to tell you to have them do, but I do know it's a good thing to start early if done correctly.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/08/15, 12:39 AM
At that young an age, keep the reps fairly high. I think its great though. It will teach them muscular coordination and strengthen joints and ligaments at a young age.

--------------

The best feeling in the world is the feeling you get after a tough set of squats after you step back from the power rack and throw up all over the floor.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2005/08/15, 01:05 PM
Like I said, I don't know anything for sure, but my guess would be that any bodyweight exercise could be healthy like some kind of pushups, pullups or ab work, etc., because I remember those were very challenging for me when I was young and tried to do them. There is actually a program at www.speedcity.com for speed, agility, and jumping made for younger kids. It looks pretty cool.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

ksmith2474
ksmith2474
United States
2005/08/15, 04:21 PM
check out revballs post in this forum called children and weightlifting....

all your answers are right there