Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Weird forearm pain

Deans20
Deans20
Canada
2005/07/24, 11:51 PM
I just started getting this pain about a week or two ago. It's on my inside forearm when looking at my arm with my palm up. I get it mostly when I'm doing curls whether machine assisted or not. I get it on a few other things too. It doesn't feel like a pulled muscle or anything like that. It kind of feels like something is bruised but nothing is. Any ideas? It's kind of stopping me from lifting any heavier weights.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/07/26, 12:49 AM
Im going to make a couple of assumptions here. You can let me know if I'm right.

1. You do very little grip or forearm work, if any.
2. You get this pain when lifting heavier weights, as opposed to weights that would be easy to use.
3. You dont do a lot of reverse curls when compared to the volume for regular curls.

Your weakpoint is your forearms. Try adding in some wrist curls and grip exercises. there are 3 threads in the powerlifting forum about grip strength.

Your forearms are unable to handle as much weight as your biceps, so you need to do some direct forearm work.

Also, try doing a couple sets of reverse curls in your arm workout. The brachiallis is a muscle in your forearm that is actually largelly responsible for elbow flexion. So train your brachiallis, then you will increase the amount you can curl...

Let me know.

--------------
The best feeling in the world is the feeling you get after a tough set of squats after you step back from the power rack and throw up all over the floor.
Deans20
Deans20
Canada
2005/08/02, 05:58 PM
you're exactly right. i dont do a lot of forearm work. i never really realized it until you said that. i'll definitely try out some wrist curls and grip exercises. thanks.
drat60
drat60
United States
2005/08/05, 04:46 PM
i know exactly what you are talking about. i used to get it all the time and i am pretty sure it isnt from weak forearms due to the fact that it is in only one arm which i am guessing is your right?Honestly my trainer told me it was a strain in the forearm and it sucked cuz it didnt fully heal for like 3 weeks. So the best advice i can give is to take it easy no heavy lifting until you stop feeling it....ice it and rest it the same old stuff.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/08/06, 12:38 AM
try taking a look into the strength forum here and click on the thread ab grip strength. It should still be in the top 15 posts. Glad to help.

Im also going to continue making assumptions, and say that you usually do a lot of regular curls. Try doing some reverse curls in the time that you are building your grip and forearm pain. This will allow for you to heal and still work your biceps, plus it is a good grip builder.

If you don't know, a reverse curl is just any curl with your palms facing the ground. It works the top portion of the forearm, the brachiallis, rather than the bottom, which would be what is hurting you.
Glad to help.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/08/06, 11:27 PM
http://freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/Message.jsp?f_ix=15&t_ix=339

--------------
The best feeling in the world is the feeling you get after a tough set of squats after you step back from the power rack and throw up all over the floor.
krayonc
krayonc
United States
2008/12/11, 07:21 PM
Last week I was doing a lot of tricep, lat and deltoid work with some new movements. I used the freedom machine and pulled from back forward in a hug-the-tree move. Did several reps. Worked on this a few days, fifth day I increased the weight did a few reps, then a drop set. Went over to the bench press and started lifting. I got a pain in my right arm from behind my elbow, wrapping up the outside of my elbow and then shooting down the top of my forearm to my wrist, which affected my arm strength, and hurt like the dickens. Went to the chiropractor and he said it was my extensors in that arm. He had me ice on and off for a couple of days and wear a band about an inch down from my elbow when I am lifting anything. He also told me to lay off weights for 48 hours. So my question is, when I get back into the gym, where do I start with this arm??? I am renewed to lifting, but have been working out since last February. I am 50 and a woman. I have recently added heavier weights to my routine. My routine has included bent over rows, Arnold curls, 21s, bicep curls, tricep pull downs, rowing, flyes, lat pulldowns, overhead press, bench press, etc. for arms and back. The freedom machine was new to the mix. This was my first injury and I really want to get stronger and avoid any more injuries. Thanks for any input.