Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Fear of loose skin....

skyye82
skyye82
United States
2005/07/12, 11:44 AM
I'm 265 pounds, 5'6"...I'm a size 22. I know the main thing about losing weight and looking healthy is to lose it slow. I'm giving myself 1 year to lose 115 pounds. I'm only afraid that even if I lose it slowly that there may be lose skin hanging on me. Does anyone have any other tips for me other than just losing the weight slowly...I'm so afraid of that and I know that if it does happen I can't afford all the nipping and tucking surgically. Thanks! :big_smile:
yodaddyOG
yodaddyOG
Canada
2005/07/14, 05:16 PM
ouch. I'm maybe in the same boat. But since i'm a guy i can probably get away with putting alot of muscle before it comes to surgery. So far i've lost 45 since mid Feburary. And still have a little ways to go. Then i can really bulk up. Either way it has to come off. That's a hard question. Maybe lotion will help atleast tighten the skin. i use cocoa butter cream. Works good and smells good . mmmm cocoa butter lol :) I hope everyhitng works out.
MsMonik
MsMonik
United States
2005/07/15, 10:46 PM
Have had the same thoughts myself.:surprised: I'm fifteen pounds heavier than you and also gave myself a year to get the weight off. 150lbs is what I'm shooting for. If you find an answer to the loose skin dilema...let me know:) I'll do the same.

--------------
\"A diamond is a chunk of coal that made good under pressure.\"-anonymous
amg418
amg418
United States
2005/07/16, 08:51 PM
Ive been worried about that too. Iam 17 and weigh 265, Iam also also givng my self 1 year to lose 15 pounds. I sure as heck cant afford all that surgery.
skyye82
skyye82
United States
2005/07/16, 09:55 PM
Yeah, unless I hit the lottery I can't afford surgery either..lol. And yes, cocoa butter smells realllllyyy good, but I thinks it is used mostly to prevent strech marks...( a little too late for that too haha). The only thing I have heard to do is to lose it really slow and gradual. Oh well, guess we'll all know when we get there. Good luck to all 3 of you ( and myself) :big_smile:
wahha
wahha
United States
2005/07/17, 02:56 AM
Well, its rough. I weighed 220 and now at 198 after a month and half. Went to the gym twice a day and worked my butt off. Now, I have a bunch of flab on my stomach. I do abs three times a week to tighten it down. I have stretch marks all over my stomach. Looks like a bulldog's face. It's horrible, and embarassing to take my shirt off.
kaiaw
kaiaw
United States
2005/07/17, 08:25 PM
I found this article online and it seems to have some decent info. It sounds like as long as you go about losing the weight in a healthy manner, loose skin won't be much of an issue- its not so much loose skin as flabby skin.... Just loose it at a reasonable pace so that your body can keep up with the weight loss- very important! Good luck to everyone!

http://www.bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm
rdorffjr
rdorffjr
United States
2007/01/04, 11:27 AM
Whats a reasonable pace of weight loss that would help in the extra skin issue?
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2007/01/04, 11:38 AM
1-2 lbs/week
JayPii
JayPii
United States
2007/12/03, 03:40 AM
I am 17 (18 in Jan) and I am worrying about the same thing.. I started my weight loss in late July. Ive lost 48lbs in total. I want to loose about 10 more lbs and then Bulk up! I weigh 177 now, I started at 225.

I still have a lot of fat and some soft flappy skin on my belly area, but thats probably do to not exercising as much which I am starting to do more of now.

I was searching and lots say to moistories with creams that have collagen and the brushing, which I will deffinetly do.

At 17, should I still worry about excess skin once I do loose all the fat? Ive lost about 9 lbs a montn since I started.. (Once I devide how many lbs ive lost, with how long ive been on loosing the weight)

I want to start walking/running more now, and start to bulk up some now. I was thinking of walking with jackets to sweat more, will this help my skin not be loose once I loose the fat or actually not help it? I will also start looking for Creams and the brushes.

Thanks in advance!
-Jose in Miami, FL
JayPii
JayPii
United States
2007/12/03, 03:45 AM
P.S - I am a guy. (Is there a way to edit the profile? or is that only for paying memberS?)

============
Quoting from Jaypii:

I am 17 (18 in Jan) and I am worrying about the same thing.. I started my weight loss in late July. Ive lost 48lbs in total. I want to loose about 10 more lbs and then Bulk up! I weigh 177 now, I started at 225.

I still have a lot of fat and some soft flappy skin on my belly area, but thats probably do to not exercising as much which I am starting to do more of now.

I was searching and lots say to moistories with creams that have collagen and the brushing, which I will deffinetly do.

At 17, should I still worry about excess skin once I do loose all the fat? Ive lost about 9 lbs a montn since I started.. (Once I devide how many lbs ive lost, with how long ive been on loosing the weight)

I want to start walking/running more now, and start to bulk up some now. I was thinking of walking with jackets to sweat more, will this help my skin not be loose once I loose the fat or actually not help it? I will also start looking for Creams and the brushes.

Thanks in advance!
-Jose in Miami, FL
=============
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/12/06, 10:07 PM
As I always say, Jaypii, try not to fret about loose skin, for being healthy and fit is much better and won't kill you, right?! You are young, some people have more flexible skin, so all you can do is let time do it's thing and keep exercising, too much controversy for me to comment on the creams and such, skin is skin. Be happy you have done such a great job at losing weight and don't worry yourself about cosmetic things, even though I know I still get annoyed by my own, I am still much happier lighter! :)

============
Quoting from Jaypii:

P.S - I am a guy. (Is there a way to edit the profile? or is that only for paying memberS?)

=============

--------------
Veda

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. - Mabel Newcomber

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. - Napoleon Hill
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/12/06, 10:09 PM
Yes, you can change your profile, just click on home at the top of page and then "personal profile" and you can make some changes, or add to the previous.

--------------
Veda

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. - Mabel Newcomber

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. - Napoleon Hill
rickyshot
rickyshot
United States
2007/12/20, 10:21 AM
the only post that made sense was Vedas. There is nothing and I mean nothing that can be done about loose skin. Now working with weights does help a little because the muscle plumps up and fills out the skin some but skin condition is mostly heridetary and due to how much weight is lost, age, and overall health. There is absolutely no cream, or brush or such bs that will prevent or cure stretch marks, wrinkles or loose skin. Unfortunately only surgery would help and that to a point depending on the case etc and of course that is risky and expensive. Our attitude towards body image and aging has to change. That is why I liked Vedas post. I do have to admit though that if there is a lot of loose skin that sometimes insurance will cover the surgery with a letter from a doc saying how it impairs with daily living and mental status but the case has to be pretty extreme.
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2007/12/26, 01:33 PM
Remember to drink lots and lots of water. It's the lifeline for a healthy body, as well as healthy skin. There may be nothing that can be done for the loose skin, but water never hurts. And if it doesn't, it's still really good for you in many other ways.
For the record, maybe those creams and anti-wrinkle creams don't work. But, it's not going to stop me from slathering on 12 layers before bed time! ha ha.
nzgirl23
nzgirl23
New Zealand
2008/01/03, 06:10 AM
Hi there,
This is one thing I've been extremely worried about.
I'm turning 21 in a couple of days, and I've been overweight for too long. I want to lose about 200 lbs, but not sure what time frame I should give myself. Especially considering I'll have a lot of excess skin left over.
I was thinking maybe once I've lost the weight I could start saving for surgery. Though not completely sure if they do it in my country (New Zealand).

amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/01/03, 09:25 AM
Hi nzgirl. A healthy weight loss is 1-2 lbs a week.
shellyterrell
shellyterrell
United States
2008/01/12, 12:42 PM
Some insurance companies will cover the cost of skin tightenin surgery because of some of the problem that loose skin causes, like skin rashes, pulling the body in the wrong direction, etc. GHI covers these costs. I, however, do NOT want to have any surgery that isn't necessary to save my life. Does anyone have any ideas or alternatives to surgery?:(:(

--------------
Shelly Terrell
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/01/12, 09:09 PM
Just what's mentioned above Shelly. Slow weight loss (1-2 lbs a week) may help with some of the loose skin. The debate is still open as to he results of those skin tightening creams. Drink plenty of water to keep everything hydrated. That's about all you can do. :)
Firestar6
Firestar6
United States
2010/06/30, 05:41 PM
thank you all for the helpul information on loose skin.:big_smile: