Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 21, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

Alcohol

kieas
kieas
Japan
2005/07/11, 08:51 AM
Drinking makes you fat. Theres no way around it. But are there any drinks that are better than others? Not drinking is the hardest part of my diet, and im going crazy.

Plus the entire culture of where I live revolves around drinking. You dont drink, you dont have friends or dates or a promotion. Oh yeah, and everyone splits the bill so I have to pay $30 even if I drink water.

Bottom line, what will get me the drunkest for the least amount of calories?
leslieherr
leslieherr
United States
2005/07/11, 09:25 AM
I've never heard of this culture, perhaps you should move and change your profession.

Leslie
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/11, 10:51 AM
Great line and right on! The hardest part of breaking most habits like this whether it is drugs, alcohol, etc., is breaking away from those you percieved as friends.

Hanging with this crowd will not advance you in any way. It is hard at first, but after a while, you will come to realize that these folks are not really friends in the first place. Leaving that environment is your only true option.

============
Quoting from leslieherr:

I've never heard of this culture, perhaps you should move and change your profession.

Leslie
=============

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bropie
bropie
Canada
2005/07/11, 02:39 PM
i understand where you're coming from kieas. stick to light beer (miller lite is a great option, only 90 cals per bottle) or the hard stuff on the rocks/mixed with diet soda, juice, or water. alcohol is very high in empty calories, so be sure to keep your number of drinks to a minimum.
kieas
kieas
Japan
2005/07/12, 10:13 AM
Dont lite beers have reduced alcohol? I know myself and when I do decide to let loose I wont stop until ive met my ALC quota and am drunk.

I live in Japan. To give you an idea of what up up against, the gym I work out at sells protien drinks, fruit juice...and pitchers of beer. It boggles the mind.

Just like the travel book says, the houses are too small to have visitors, so everyone goes out. I could be 'alternative lifestyle' and go shopping with my beer buddies, but theyre less creeped out if we drink. Cheaper than seeing movies in this country anyway.

Basically all socializing here revolves around the 'nomikai' = drinking party. You have one everytime theres a birthday, or someone new joins or quits and cant forget the manditory newyears and 'hey arent we drinking enough? mid year' holidays. Its a real traditional, island, village type culture, so if you start skipping these things your considered the outsider/wierd guy real quick. You cant even escape it by hanging with other Americans, for some reason the people that come here rarely learn the language and so have nothing to do but drink and hit the gym (odd pair huh)

bropie
bropie
Canada
2005/07/12, 11:26 AM
yes light beers have reduced alcohol.. for example canadian has 5% and canadian light has 4%.. there is also 1/3 less calories in the light beer than the regular.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/12, 11:33 AM
There is still 9 calories per gr. of alcohol, and they are empty calories. Plus have negative effects on synthesis, etc. to boot.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2005/07/12, 02:46 PM
Drink Guinness:). It is less than 4% alcohol and you certainly get more nutrients than any other beer. Think of it as an iron suppliment. If you're like most people (me excluded) it'll take you longer to drink it as well!

However, You should try and limit the amount you drink in general! Try not to think of it costing you $30 even though your drinking less, think of it costing you $30 for entertainment out with your friends.

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
2005/07/14, 10:19 AM
Lots of lite beers out there or a glass of red wine but none of them do what you truly want. Cant drink like that if youre trying to be fit thats the bottom-line. Put your CASH in the kitty excluding the drink portion or dont go out with this crowd unless you can foot the $30 that evening.
jonnnyko
jonnnyko
United States
2005/07/14, 12:37 PM
I found these in a Men's Fitness magazine; scotch sour, pina colada,bloody mary, bull's eye, wild berry mojito, sangria, and frozen mandrin margarita. If all made right these were considered "lean" drinks by Men's Fitness. Hope this helps lemme know if you are wonderin what one of this drinks might be.

--------------
Jonathan (jonnnyko@hotmail.com)
*** Nothing Is Real but Pain Now ***
kieas
kieas
Japan
2005/07/15, 05:52 AM
Yeah thats some good info. Alteast with a bloody mary im getting some vitamins hehe. The calories from alcohol suck but Im gonna get those no matter what. With vodka and tomato juice I should avoid too many bonus calories and stop all drinking once I feel fuzzy.

Will work on getting out of those drinking engagements too.

Im honestly worried that most people in this country are malnutritioned for reasons like this.