Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

low budget... any suggestions???

babydolwv
babydolwv
United States
2005/04/28, 09:00 AM
Ok i am on the 12 wk abs program... and I know before i can get the stomach i want i have to loose the fat on my abs... well my prob is that i am on a low buget when it comes to bills... not that i dont want to eat healthy and everything.... Its just cheaper to eat white bread instead of wheat... so i cant really do alot of calorie counting and tracking i mainly have to just buy what i can afford... I have been making sure to keep things in the house like salad stuff, veggies and fruit, yogurts and cottage cheese, but when it comes to protein i cant afford the shakes and stuff like that... so can anyone give me some good advice on stuff that is affordable and not really exspensive? I would really appericate it... i would love to flatten my abs i just dont have the best food budget right now... i have tried to read as many post on it.. i just wanted to ask to make sure there is nothing i am missing... :) would really appericate any suggestions...
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2005/04/28, 09:10 AM
babydolwv...I would recommend you check out some of the threads about loosing weight without supplements. There are some great ideas on there about foods to eat to get what you need.

Also if you can get wheat over white then you should. I know where I live they have Mrs. Baird's bread outlets...where basically they overproduced too much and it goes there to be sold at a much cheaper price then at big grocery stores. Might be able to buy several loafs and freeze them (I don't think you lose any nutritional value by doing this). Of course I live very close to where Mrs. Bairds bread is made...so that maybe why...but check around and see if there's anything like this in your area.

I think most grocery stores tend to do this with meats as well, if they don't sell everything by the given date they'll mark them down. These are freezable as well...you could load up on the chicken and lean meats when you have the money and then you'll save on groceries over coming weeks.

Just a couple of ideas. I'm sure others will have better suggestions.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2005/04/28, 09:13 AM
My belief is, and I may be incorrect on this, but if you eat healthier, you won't need to eat as much, therefore spending about the same. It's similar to painting a house... if you buy a good quality paint, you won't need to paint as often. If you buy a low quality paint, you could be painting every year. The initial output of money is more, but in the long run may be less expensive.

Ditch the white bread and go for whole wheat or multigrain bread. It'll fill you up and you'll eat less of it. So, if you had four pieces of toast for breakfast, you might drop to two.

In the Specific Diet forum there is a list called "grocery list" and it'll give you some ideas on what to buy in regards to your diet needs.

Hope that helps...

t

--------------
This donut has purple in the middle, purple is a fruit. - Homer (Simpson)

Be here. Live. Love. Hope. Now. Faith. Believe. You. - Keith Urban

babydolwv
babydolwv
United States
2005/04/28, 09:16 AM
well we do have a store like that here since we have baker right next door to it.. just forgot it was there.. will have to look into that... yeah i do buy meat by bulk and freeze it, but my prob is i cant sit and count carbs like i said i do eat alot healthier and i have cut back on my pot and junk food intake and replaced it with water and water down juices and fruits and veggies.... but thanks i will deff have to check out that store we have... sure they have alot of stuff cheaper :) thanks again!!
babydolwv
babydolwv
United States
2005/04/28, 09:27 AM
Timday, i had went as far as printing that out and going to hang it on my fridge, but i have 2 children so its not just me eating it... so i got thro alot of it... thats y i say its expensive.. cause i cant buy just for me.. i have to buy for them as well so i have to buy 4 times as much.. and dont get me wrong they love all that healthy foods, but what i was saying is.. we have a store here that is all generic brands of food soo alot of stuff is cheaper there like i can go and by a box of hamburger helper and a package of hamburger and it be really cheap... i know it not the healthiest meal, but i have to be able to make my money last... i completely understand what ur saying tho.... :) and thanks for the advice... i am gonna try to start buy only the wheat bread cause we do eat alot of bread in our house as my children love sandwhiches for lunch and my husband takes his lunch...
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2005/04/28, 09:34 AM
That's true Timday...prior to starting my diet I was drinking a lot of cokes and eating a lot of ice cream and cookies and chips and other crap. Cut all that out and now I have the money to buy more nutritious food and I'm afford/eat more of it now. Between me and my wife we drank a 12 pack of cola's in two days (sometimes 1 day) so that alone saved me $3 every day or 2...that's a loaf of bread right there.

babydolwv...did you say pot as in marijuana...getting rid of that should give you all the money you need to get in a good diet. Between the cost of that and the munchies afterwards you should be saving a ton. Trust me...been there done that...I know the financial impact it can have.

Get down a good budget and track your finances and it'll make it easier to keep your diet without stressing you out. Which would in turn make a workout/weight loss program more productive as well, as stress plays a big factor in weight management. I have just recently learned this...so feel free to contact me if you need some ideas to help get you started to managing a budget.
babydolwv
babydolwv
United States
2005/04/28, 09:44 AM
no pot is not a factor in my life... dont do that, and even if we wanted to we cant afford to.. lol food and paying bills and keeping kids happy r much more important to me and my husband!!! :)
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2005/04/28, 09:47 AM
OK....good to hear! :big_smile:
babydolwv
babydolwv
United States
2005/04/28, 09:50 AM
i have been looking into things that i can afford and i had seen the carnation good start drinks... would that be something i use to drink after my workouts??? there is a store where the cost for it isnt to bad...
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2005/04/28, 10:04 AM
My guess is the canned drinks (Carnation, slim fast, etc...) would probably cost more over time then a 5lb bucket of whey protein. I drink 1-3 shakes a day of that it'll get me through a whole month for like $30-$35. That's like 15 can's of slim fast I would bet.
babydolwv
babydolwv
United States
2005/04/28, 10:09 AM
no its not the slimfast stuff... lol and the place i can get it, it is alot cheaper as i said... a big can of it for a like 4 or 5 dollars... so for me it would be cheaper cause i would only be drinking it 1 time a day maybe 2 just depending on my eating schedule that day....
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2005/04/28, 11:02 AM
Started to do some looking around and couldn't find anything on how much sugar is in these so went to www.calorieking.com and checked. These things are loaded with sugar. Unless you get the carb conscious ones with 7 grams of sugar. Granted they're only 80 calories per serving, but as you'll see on this site that # of calories wouldn't be a good meal replacement...maybe part of a meal but not by itself.

I could be wrong on that...can anyone make any other suggestions as to whether these instant breakfast are any good or should they be combined with something else?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/05/06, 11:48 AM
bump