Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

Too much water?

iluvmyguitar19
iluvmyguitar19
United States
2005/02/22, 08:50 PM
I know that your supposed to drink a lot of water for weightloss, but I was wondering if there is a thing as drinking too much water.

My dad drinks a lot of water and I do too, but I don't know if it will in the long run make me gain weight or something. I drink about a pint every hour or so give or take a little. Is this too much? And if so whats the maximum I can cut it down to.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2005/02/23, 08:34 AM
It is possible to drink too much water, but very rare that people take in that much. Usually excess water consumption is seen in marathoners , where they have sweated out so much sodium and drank so much water that their electrolyte balance and fluid regulation gets really out of whack, every once and a while someone dies from this. Recently there was a news story about a hazing incidenc
t where they were making the pledges do push-ups/pull-ups, etc and drink gallons of water and one guy died.

If you are drinking water instead of taking in nutrients (eating) than this could pose a problem as well.

Aim for hal of your bodyweight in ounces and see how you feel.

Water won't make you gain weight - it has no calories. It may make you seem heavier when you slam a large amount of it and it is in your system, but adequate water consumption will actually aid in weight loss, your body won't hold onto excess water when you are adequately hydrated. Also, good hydration allows you to perform better in your workouts and will speed up your metabolism.

--------------
Vision without action is a daydream, Action without vision is a nightmare.
-- Japanese Proverb --

rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2005/02/23, 12:26 PM
Exactly, asimmer. With the university death, I believe they made him drink 5 gallons within like an hour or two; it was almost like a drowning.

--------------
Michael

Nothing personal.... Strictly business.
2005/02/24, 02:20 AM
hmm...how is that possible...I would think he'd start to vomit....after half a gallon or even less....of chugging it.....hmmm

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2005/02/24, 09:42 PM
Hi, the guy died, it was national news, why do you need to argue everything?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2005/02/25, 08:16 AM
Police: Student died from 'water intoxication'
Friday, February 4, 2005 Posted: 8:21 AM EST (1321 GMT)

Matthew Carrington

CHICO, California (AP) -- A California State University student died of "water intoxication" during hazing in the basement of a fraternity, authorities said Thursday.

Matthew Carrington, 21, died early Wednesday while drinking water from a five-gallon jug and doing exercises at the Chi Tau house near the Chico campus, said Chico Police Sgt. Dave Barrow.

An autopsy showed death was triggered by hyponatremia, a condition in which excess water in the body causes sodium levels in the blood to drop. Water is then absorbed into the blood and fluid builds up in the brain.

The case was still under investigation, and no decision had been made on whether to file charges.

Carrington's is the second pledge death at Chico since 2000, when an 18-year-old died of alcohol poisoning.

The university cut its ties to Chi Tau in 2002 because of "a series of increasing problems and complaints," including excessive alcohol use and loud parties, a campus spokesman said.

StevenT
StevenT
United States
2005/04/03, 06:14 PM
Ya, I learned in science its something to do with the liver I think that too much water is bad.
joker86
joker86
United States
2005/09/21, 11:14 AM
I find any time I think i drink to much water I pee a lot. So as long as you dont drink a point to where you die your body will probably get rid of what it doesnt need.
Kalanchoe
Kalanchoe
United Kingdom
2005/09/22, 04:07 AM
A girl called Leah Betts in UK died a few years ago due to excess water consumption. She had taken an ecstasy tablet, and started to drink to much water, which is what killed her in the end.

--------------
each to their own
GoMcnabb
GoMcnabb
United States
2005/09/25, 11:26 AM
Dj, i have a VERY hard time believeing that, where'd you hear that one?
2005/09/26, 12:30 PM
Very true dj_mario!!!, probably the most renowned sport scientistin the world discovered this a man by the name of Tim Noakes he works in cape town, he discovered this in marathon runners where they drink too much water it does more damage than good you can look at the following link I think you'll find it quite interesting!!!

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/health/HealthRepublish_904374.htm
http://www.inq7.net/lif/2003/aug/26/lif_21-1.htm
lVleNaCe
lVleNaCe
United States
2005/10/08, 11:08 AM
I drink alot of water, no soda for me anymore except maybe a little drink off of my moms soda but that's like a once in a GREAT while thing like masybe once every week or sometimes even once every 2 weeks. And it's just 1 small drink. I used to drink soda all the time and my alcohol I loved my alcohol. But now I've stopped all the uneeded crap and just drink water and occasionally gatoraide and that propell fitness water. I feel alot better now then I did before when I was drinking all that soda and beer.
baseballdm24
baseballdm24
United States
2010/01/22, 12:07 PM
I drink 2 gallons of water a day however I run 3 miles and workout 6 days a week. That includes protien shakes. Is this too much?