Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

I have High Cholesterol..I need advice

Smurfetta
Smurfetta
United States
2005/02/19, 05:54 PM
A week ago, I donated blood for a gal I know who has cancer. I just received a letter in the mail from the Blood & Tissue Center stating that my cholesterol is 260! I thought that seemed high so I checked out info on Cholesterol on the American Heart Association site and it says I am at high risk of heart disease. I am still kinda in shock! I'm 34 years old, and I weigh 155. I know I'm overweight and starting to work on that (Lost 2 lbs last week). I'm just curious as to what my normal cholesterol level should be and what should I eat? I'm starting to really watch my diet (and exercise) and now I feel as if I can't eat anything. Any advice?
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2005/02/19, 06:39 PM
Cut back on the bad fats, drink the right amount of water for your weight, and exercise.
Cut out processed foods, this will help reduce in the fat department, and eat complex carbs. (no white stuff).
Combined with the exercise routines that you can get here, you should do well.
Blood clots are caused from the bad cholesterol and that is what puts us in the danger zone of heart attack or stroke.
Good luck.

--------------
Scales are for dead weight: We are not dead yet!
Still trying to find out how to do the Hollywood Free Press.

Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
Lots of dark green vegeies. Cut out most processed foods. Oatmeal and garlic are natural reducers of cholesterol. Not sure what yours should be go to your doctor if you can and ask.

--------------
If you can itch your nose after arm day...do another set!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
Smurfetta
Smurfetta
United States
2005/02/19, 09:46 PM
Thanks guys! I'm going to go to the Dr. and get a blood test. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sam
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2005/02/20, 10:30 AM
good fats lower the bad cholesterol ratio, so eating things like oily fish, nuts, olives and avocadoes will help.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/02/20, 01:11 PM
A simple thing is add cinammon to your diet.

Cinnamon Helps Type 2 Diabetes - Also Helps Cholesterol December 5th, 2003 - A spicy tip: Cinnamon can improve glucose and cholesterol levels in the blood. For people with type 2 diabetes, and those fighting high cholesterol, it's important information. Researchers have long speculated that foods, especially spices, could help treat diabetes. In lab studies, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves, and turmeric have all shown promise in enhancing insulin's action, writes researcher Alam Khan, PhD, with the NWFP Agricultural University in Peshawar, Pakistan. His study appears in the December issue of Diabetes Care.

Botanicals such as cinnamon can improve glucose metabolism and the overall condition of individuals with diabetes - improving cholesterol metabolism, removing artery-damaging free radicals from the blood, and improving function of small blood vessels, he explains. Onions, garlic, Korean ginseng, and flaxseed have the same effect. In fact, studies with rabbits and rats show that fenugreek, curry, mustard seeds, and coriander have cholesterol-improving effects. But this is the first study to actually pin down the effects of cinnamon, writes Kahn. Studies have shown that cinnamon extracts can increase glucose metabolism, triggering insulin release - which also affects cholesterol metabolism. Researchers speculated that cinnamon might improve both cholesterol and glucose. And it did!

The 60 men and women in Khan's study had a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes for an average of 6 1-2 years but were not yet taking insulin. The participants in his study had been on anti-diabetic drugs that cause an increase in the release of insulin. Each took either wheat-flour placebo capsules or 500 milligram cinnamon capsules.

Group 1 took 1 gram (two capsules equaling about one-quarter of a teaspoon) for 20 days.
Group 2 took 3 grams (six capsules, equaling a little less than one teaspoon) for 20 days.
Group 3 took 6 grams (twelve capsules, equaling about one and three-quarters teaspoons) for 20 days.

Blood samples were taken at each level of the study.

Cinnamon made a difference! Twenty days after the cinnamon was stopped, there were significant reductions in blood glucose levels in all three groups that took cinnamon, ranging from 18 to 29%. But these was one peculiar finding that researchers don't understand at this point. Only the group that consumed the lowest level of cinnamon continued with significantly improved glucose levels - group 1. The placebo groups didn't get any significant differences.

Taking more cinnamon seems to improve the blood levels of fats called triglycerides. All the patients had better triglyceride levels in their 40-day tests - between 23% to 30% reductions. Those taking the most cinnamon had the best levels. In groups taking cinnamon pills, blood cholesterol levels also went down, ranging from 13% to 26%; LDL cholesterol also known as "bad" cholesterol went down by 10% to 24% in only the 3- and 6-gram groups after 40 days. Effects on HDL ("good cholesterol") were minor.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
madbrenda
madbrenda
United States
2005/02/20, 09:07 PM
I chose to cut out my cholesterol by eliminating the amount of meat or animal products I conusme. If it has a liver, it has cholesterol (check out the cholesterol content of one serving of shrimp - it'll knock your socks off!). I just happen to be very choosy about the things I will put into my body, perhaps to an excess, but it keeps me happy. :-)

There's plenty out there to eat without 'sacrificing' your body to excess cholesterol. Sounds like this is the perfect opportunity to experiment with new foods. :-) Take a look in the grocery's natural food section. You'll find all kinds of neat stuff there. I can spend hours at the grocery store just browsing the selections.

I started by watching my cholesterol (I believe average allowable is about 300mg daily) and my saturated fats (intake should be less than 10% of calories).

If you'd like me to share some of my ideas/recipes with you, I'd be more than happy to help - just let me know.

~b

--------------

*all Magic begins in the Mind*
Smurfetta
Smurfetta
United States
2005/02/21, 12:01 PM
bb1,
I have never heard of such a thing. Do you think the health food store sells cinnamon pills? I usually have cinnamon every morning in my instant Kashi oatmeal:), but I don't think that is what you are referring to.

Brenda,
That would be great if you could give me some ideas/recipes. It's funny that now that I know my cholesterol is high, I am reading the labels more closely. I used to only pay attention to Fat, Fiber, and protein.

Thanks!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/02/21, 08:06 PM
Yes, the stores sell cinammon capsules. Here is one with some relevant information.

http://www.cinnamonpills.com/

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
Smurfetta
Smurfetta
United States
2005/02/21, 11:51 PM
Thank you!:)
bobosensei
bobosensei
United States
2005/02/22, 08:57 AM
your doctor should be able to give you a list of things that will help. make sure to tell your doctor what you are eating and doing now as far as exercise so that they will have an accurate picture of what's going on.
albaanderson86
albaanderson86
United States
2010/03/30, 11:43 PM
By doing the exercise daily you bring your cholesterol level low. Even this advise doctor is also giving cholesterol people.For Physic of the people I will say if you take daily Diet food and do the exercise properly than you can keep your cholesterol in control. Daily to do yoga, not take liquor, not eat too much oily food have patient and keep your in good condition.
Kristenmickel
Kristenmickel
United States
2010/04/30, 08:06 AM
If you want to accomplish hale and hearty weight loss, alter to a diet plan full of fruits and vegetables and low in fat. If you plan on losing weight, you have to change the way your daily construction is. If you don?t, no change can occur. Weight Loss Plans are easy to follow and stick to, thus giving you the best weight loss results.
Jadee1297
Jadee1297
United States
2010/08/11, 12:15 PM
I also just found out I have to lower my cholesterol. Am I going to be able to get all the nutrients to build muscle, carbs for energy, and still not blow up my cholesterol? Any resources for this kind of diet would be appreciated! Thanks