Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

not eating/not losing??

IwantMybodyBack
IwantMybodyBack
United States
2005/02/18, 01:27 PM
I was wondering if eating 800 calories or less a day and exercising 60-90 minutes a day can cause you to NOT lose weight. Logically it seems that you WOULD lose weight doing that because you are creating a negative calorie intake but for some reason I think this is making me gain weight. The reason I'm posting this question on this board is because a long time ago I was overweight and I started eating right and exercising and I lost 45 pounds..got down to size 4...everyone thought I looked great and I had boyfriends all over the place etc. ( i was 21 at the time) and so I started exercising more, and eating less calories, and on and on until I was down to eating very little and throwing up the little I did eat. Well I got over this eventually. Fast forward to now. I was a normal weight about a year ago, then I got pregnant. I gained almost 90 pounds. Since I had this baby I was eating 1200--1100 calories and exercising about 30 minutes a day for a while, then it went up to 45 minutes a day, then I added weights recently, and now i'm up to 90 minutes cardio a day and weight 4 days a week...that isn't a problem but I feel like I'm falling right into my old pattern and I have to FORCE myself to eat because I'm afraid that all the work I just did (exercising) will be ruined if I put something in my mouth. Is this sabotaging me? I'm still going down in size but I have not lost a pound in 2 weeks and I've been eating hardly anything and exercising like mad. I'm so frustrated that the more I see I'm not losing, the more I cut calories and the more I exercise. I feel like I've regressed. The only difference was that at 21 it worked and I was skinny, now I'm still fat and doing all this stuff. ARGH. Any suggestions?
DanielJLove
DanielJLove
United States
2005/02/18, 02:49 PM
I read your post under "Habit" and I have thouroughly digested your words here. The short:

YOU ARE STARVING!!!

If you don't get your eating and purging (the exercise is excessive and would be considered purging) you are going to have serious health issues. Seek help now, before you baby has to see his or her mommy in a very sick situation.

I am aware that this is probably going to come as a shock, and you may not believe any of it, but it is very serious.

Daniel Love
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2005/02/19, 08:47 AM
You have a very serious disorder. Obsessive exercising coupled with starvation will lead to illness, or worse.
For your own sake, and your baby's, please seek some professional help.

--------------
Vision without action is a daydream, Action without vision is a nightmare.
-- Japanese Proverb --

Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2005/02/19, 11:17 AM
Your still fat? I don't beleive you!
90 minutes a day of cardio? C'mon cut back by 60 and spend the time with your child!
90 minutes is overkill and with your lifestyle might be dangerous.
Sorry for the harshness, but you need to change your unhealthy lifestyle.:love:

--------------
Scales are for dead weight: We are not dead yet!
Still trying to find out how to do the Hollywood Free Press.

Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
IwantMybodyBack
IwantMybodyBack
United States
2005/02/19, 02:28 PM
Yes, i am....I know you think I am some freak who just THINKS she is fat, but i'm not. I know the difference because I have been thin before. I just don't know how I can be working so darn hard and getting no results. Some days I feel like I'm not going to make it through the day and then I know I'm going to go get on the treadmill and just knowing that its doing NOTHING is ripping me apart. My main problem is that I want to lose weight and I want to do it right, I just have a real hard time putting food in my mouth after working out because I'm cancelling out what i just did. I'm not sure how many calories I'm even supposed to be eating anyway. I'd probably cut off my arm is someone told me it'd help me lose weight. As far as getting sick, i am far from that. I still have a good 50 pounds to lose so i'm not going to get sick. Will someone tell me what the absolute LEAST amount of calories someone who is exercising should be eating everyday (please don't say 3000 or something because I won't believe you)

--------------
\"There are no obstacles, only challenges...\"--from the movie Groove.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2005/02/19, 02:34 PM
1200 is probably the least you could eat and not lose all of your muscle.

If your focus is really health, not just thinness fior the sake of thinness, you need to educate yourself on eating healthier.
Ask any women on here - they probably started getting results when they finally ate right. Most people won't eat enough to support basic functions, how can they expect their body to build muscle and not retain fat when it is in a famine state constantly?

--------------
Vision without action is a daydream, Action without vision is a nightmare.
-- Japanese Proverb --

Anni313
Anni313
United States
2005/02/19, 02:53 PM
Okay, let me see if I can explain this. I do want to state first, and this is important, that I believe you when say you need to lose weight. Because this all started after your baby was born and it's reaching disorder proportions I want to suggest that there may be an element of post partum depression at work here. This is not to be ignored, post-partum depression is real but it responds really well to treatment, usually short-term.

Okay on to not eating. Right now you probably feel like your body is some foreign thing that you just don't understand and that's okay. You have forgotten that you are a living thing and living things need stuff if they are going to survive. Because your body is designed for survival, it's always on the lookout for things that make that hard. When we don't eat, our body thinks we are living in Ethiopia and it begins to store everything it can get. It has no idea that we are trying to fit into last year's bikini and you can't make it understand that.

So? So, because you are a living thing, you have to eat enough of the right foods that your body understands that you are not starving in Ethiopia. When you are eating enough to sustain all of your bodies functions, the body begins to let go of those emergency stores of fat. Every time you exercise hard and then deprive your body of fuel, it becomes more convinced that something bad is happening and it tries even harder to protect you. Your body cares more about you than you do, and until your behaviors change, your body will keep storing fat.

Is any of this making sense?

--------------
Anni

In my head, I am out of my mind....
IwantMybodyBack
IwantMybodyBack
United States
2005/02/19, 03:16 PM
I have to respond to this because I am on medication and that is when this started (this loss of appetite, drive to lose weight etc.) I am already being treated for post-partum depression. I was already on medication through-out my pregnancy because I have been manic-depressive for over 10 years. This wanting to lose weight is not a product of my depression, its a product of my being fat. The not eating so much part could be from the medication because the doctor bumped up my anti-depressant a few weeks ago and I lost my appetite altogether. So, not only do I not want to eat but I am not hungry at all. So you did have somewhat of a point there. And, yes I feel like my body is this alien thing since I had a baby. I feel like getting plastic surgery. I used to have a naval ring and I wore bikinis and walked around the house naked and stuff, now there is bizzare flap of skin there and i won't even change clothes in front of my husband, its screwing up my marriage. I feel like if I don't lose weight I will end up divorced and alone. (wow, theres a load, before i was just an obessed weight-loss person, now i sound like a total quack)

============
Quoting from anni313:

Okay, let me see if I can explain this. I do want to state first, and this is important, that I believe you when say you need to lose weight. Because this all started after your baby was born and it's reaching disorder proportions I want to suggest that there may be an element of post partum depression at work here. This is not to be ignored, post-partum depression is real but it responds really well to treatment, usually short-term.

Is any of this making sense?

=============

--------------
\"There are no obstacles, only challenges...\"--from the movie Groove.
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2005/02/19, 03:21 PM
Really you don't sound like a total quack. You sound like someone who is trying really hard to be someone she recognizes and being a new mommy rubs away most of what we recognize about ourselves. It changes everything about us and change is really hard, especially when nobody talks to you about it.

--------------
Anni

Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2005/02/19, 06:45 PM
Email me your stats, (Age,weight and activity level).
I will personally set something up for a week period providing
you promise to follow through with it.

--------------
Scales are for dead weight: We are not dead yet!
Still trying to find out how to do the Hollywood Free Press.

Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2005/02/20, 12:34 PM
I just wanted to mention that medications, as I am sure you know, can attribute to many things and you need to bring this to your doctor's attention. My mother diagnosed as manic when she was young and struggled with many medications, all causing some type of side effect or another. Many medications can cause weight gain and others weight loss due to loss of appetite and certain doctor's like to prescribed the ones they have found effective, but that does not mean there are not other choices and if he doesn't work with you on this, go to another doctor. It is important when dealing with manic and ppd that you are getting excellent care, some medications can be changed and some MUST be changed from time to time. I wish you well.

--------------
Veda
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
***When you are up to your ears in trouble, try using the part that is not submerged.
***The difference between a dream and a goal is a plan.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/02/21, 02:14 PM
You don't need to be concerened with weight( a number) I was once 280lbs with a 48in waist........then I lost alot of weight( unhealthly) down to 220 with a 36in waist....gained it back plus some. Now i'm at a healthy 263....38-39in waist. I'm close to same weight I was at 48in waist.....but i'm more dense. Muscle take sup less sapce than fat. Yes i'm not skinnest thing in world but i'm healthy.

question is you wanna be 10lbs lighter feel like shit? or 10lbs heavier and feel good and feel healthy????

I agree see someone for help. Or you might not be around to see your kid grow up.

--------------
My drinking squad, has a cheerleading problem!!
iluvmyguitar19
iluvmyguitar19
United States
2005/02/22, 08:38 PM
technically its because your starving your body. Your body doesn't know that you want to lose weight so it's trying to hold onto its fat right now so you can live longer. Right now its eating away at your muscles. So you need to increase your calories. That way your body knows its ok to let go of some of the fat. Especially when you have a baby cause your body is still in feeding baby mode.
rickyshot
rickyshot
United States
2005/02/23, 09:04 AM
There are so many issues here , I don't know where to start. You are confusing body image with self image. And sorry my dear, you did not want to lose weight because you were fat. That was only part of it. You are classically suffering from bad body image and tie your whole self worth on how you look on the outside. What are you gonna do as you age. The body will never stay 20 even with plastic surgery. You will be addicted to plastic surgery and obsessed with it the same way you are addicted to dieting and exercising. Your problem is NOT your weight. That was only a symptom and your touch point. Your problem is obsession and body image. You honestly stated you are manic depressive and that ties into your problems. Ivan can give you all the programs you want but until you address your mental and emotional state, it will be all for nothing. You need professional help fast. I am not attacking you, I really care and hope you seek help quick starting with your local eating disorder clinics. They know. They will not just address your diet and exercise because eating disorders are really not about that. They are symptoms of obsession, control , emotional disorder , self image and body image. For the sake of your family get help QUICK.
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2005/02/23, 09:06 AM
So much for the gentle approach...

--------------
Anni

DX14AG
DX14AG
United States
2005/03/27, 09:10 PM