Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

boxing

powerman990
powerman990
United States
2005/02/14, 08:43 PM
i started boxing a few months ago, so far just punching my bag and getting in shape. i've really worked on offense but i realized that i need to be able to take a hit. Anything i could do to be able to take a head shot. Any input is welcome, thanks
2005/02/14, 09:21 PM
focus on speed, agility, endurance...and power...why take a punch when you can avoid it...can't prepare for taking a punch...it depends on your built,bone density, etc...
jonathanweaver
jonathanweaver
United States
2005/02/15, 10:50 AM
The only way to prepare for taking a punch is to actually take a punch. You need a training partner for this. You need a gym that specializes in boxing, or you need a Martial Arts class. Either way, taking a punch is the only way to really prepare for it. Otherwise, the first time you get hit, you'll go down out of shock, confusion, and unpreparedness.

Good luck,

--------------
--Click here to insert a clever message--

Jonathan
blue77
blue77
United States
2005/02/16, 02:02 AM
I Would concentrate on your neck muscles period,it has to be strong do forward flexion and rear flexion and shrugs.when you fill like your going to get a punch in the face bite your teeth together,this will save your teeth from getting knocked out hopefully anyways right.other than that only God Knows.:big_smile:
firemansam
firemansam
Australia
2005/02/18, 01:58 AM
Well if your boxing you should be wearing a mouthguard and amateur boxers have to wear headgear. Best way to learn to take a hit is to get in the ring and spar. If your just starting out your best off sparring with someone close to your own ability.
Pritchard
Pritchard
United Kingdom
2005/02/19, 12:02 PM
there is some martial arts thing, like a training thing where you continually punch yourself in the chin, and the jaw etc. and over a number of years you build up hard tissue in those areas, but thats just a bit stupid and time consuming, id say just dint get punched in the head.

--------------
wax on, wax off
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/02/20, 03:45 PM
slam your head in your car door a few times

go to a strip club, and touch a dancer.....let the boucer beat ya up.

:big_smile:

--------------
My drinking squad, has a cheerleading problem!!
Hellscream
Hellscream
United Kingdom
2005/02/20, 04:00 PM
lol..

Spar, though even sparring cannot fully prepare you for the real deal. Training your neck muscles will also help but most important thing is getting in there to get hit a few times and get used to it. I wouldn't advise taking unnecessary punches...that just adds unnecessary mileage. Spar, try to avoid punches(dont worry, you WILL get hit). You will get used to it eventually.

BTW if your not in a gym already, join one. You cant learn boxing by yourself. Most likely your developing bad habits already and we know how frustrating it can be trying to get rid of bad habits.

--------------
Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/02/21, 02:03 PM
Honestly don't think his neck muscles being stonger help him much........keep him from getting his neck broke.....but not "taking it" Like menace said......why "learn" to take one if you don't need to?

The head has very lil cushioning on it, unlike the body which has fat, to cushon blows and help pad.

Don't mater how strong your neck is.....your still gonna go down you get hit hard enough.

--------------
Hellscream
Hellscream
United Kingdom
2005/02/21, 04:31 PM
Neck muscles will help, I've never seen a boxer with a pencil neck. Alot of critism bruce lee got from pro fighters is that he had skinny long neck, showed he probably couldnt take a punch. Just take a look at pictures of Evander holyfields neck, that guy can really take a punch.

A KO or effects of a head punch depends on how much the head is rocked back and forth which causes the impact to the brain. The neck can help absorb the impact. You can see it lots of times if you play it in slo-mo how the head basically flys back, strong neck muscle can lessen the acceleration of the heads movement after impact therefore lowering overall damage.

You dont need to learn to take a punch but you must know what it feels like because if you step into your first bout without ever being hit, when you do get hit all your plans will go out the window. I remember my first sparring match, I was dazed from simple jabs to the chin. I was not prepared and had that been a real match it would have been over. You can minimise the amount of times you get hit in the head but you WILL get hit, even ali(prime) SRL, SRR, RJJ and all the best/fastest boxers of all time still took hits.

--------------
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/02/21, 10:43 PM
no.......the brain can bounce against your skull ( concusion) even if you have a strong neck.....

?

--------------
2005/02/22, 08:53 AM
you say that bruce lee had a weak neck and so prolly couldn;t take a punch....however can you recall when he actually did get hit or got knocked out?

if you are the one dishing out the punishment you'll go a lot farther in the sport....training for being 'punched' is idiotic to me.....that's like a professional nascar driving asking how he can prepare for a crash and someone suggesting to go 200mph and crash the car into a brick wall...'to get used to the feeling'......no ....be faster, stronger, more agile, patient, enduring...etc.....fly like a butterfly sting like a bee....

also as andrew already pointed out....your brain moves inside your skull...so a hard punch will knock it against a side....traumatizing it....the bruises to the brain are concussions....repeated concussions cause scarring and reduced function....strong neck muscles don't help with this...maybe help from looking foolish when your head flies back....and prevents u from opening up...but nevertheless...your brain still gets it....
2005/02/22, 08:55 AM
nascar driver*
Hellscream
Hellscream
United Kingdom
2005/02/22, 01:17 PM
Big andrew the brain can bounce but the neck will lessen the snap. I have spoken with lots of boxing trainers and they all agree with that point. When the head is punched it is violently snapped back, if the neck is strong it can lessen the speed of that snap thus reducing overall damage. The faster the head snaps, the harder the brain will bounce around and the neck can slow down that snap.

Menace Im a huge bruce lee fan, I have 4 books on the guy myself so Im not trying to knock him. Point is though, coming from Joe Lewis legendary MA and trained with Bruce, when he listed one of Lee's weaknesses that was it. Its also true. Bruce lee never entered boxing matches or full contact fighting so there wasnt much opportunity for world class fighters to take a knock on his head.

Sure its all good to dish out punishment and I never said to train only the neck. Picture this:

2 fighters equal in skill, speed, power, equal natural chin. Now one fighter spent 10 minutes a week working his neck...when both of them has taken as many punches as each other the one who trained his neck will be the one with an advantage. Boxing is all about getting the advantage, someone can say concentrate on skill and speed, that can outmatch power. Boxing however is a very competetive sport, its not a matter of just training one part, its covering ALL weaknesses...instead of just training skill and speed why not add power & stamina?

Whats this about nascar...this is boxing. Crashing in nascar is very different from getting hit in the head. I never suggested purposely getting hit in the head, I said spar and you will naturally get hit in the head wether you like it or not. I gave that advice because a person who has never been hit b4 will panic when he does get hit in the match, possibly KO. Not to mention no sane trainer would let you go to a match without sparring experience. At the same time hes not purposely getting hit but quite the opposite, his working his defence so he gets hit less. Its like killing 2 birds with one stone.

You point out float like a butterfly sting like a bee, may I remind you that Ali had one of the toughest chin ever in the sport. That saved his career, he did get hit alot. Just watch Ali's later fights, mainly VS George foreman or vs Joe Frazier.

The whole reasoning of not being prepared to get hit dont make sense. Its like saying dont work your abs, as long as you dont get hit and keep dishing out the punishment its fine. Thats all fine and dandy plan but what happens when you get hit in the body? Always be prepared...anything at all that can give you an edge, use it. You can play football but you cant play boxing, when you step into that ring you best be sure your not gonna panic once you do get hit. BTW bruce lee heavily preached for the abs to be worked, he often said you have no business fighting without good abs.

Building a strong neck or being prepared for a punch doesnt mean your gonna go in there expecting to be hit, your gonna go in there doing quite the opposite. However, when the unexpected comes through...you're more prepared.

--------------
Berginyon
Berginyon
United States
2005/02/23, 11:58 AM
FYI, clinching your teeth when taking a head shot is BAD! You have a much higher chance of busting teeth this way, and your jaw also has a much higher chance of being broken. If you do take a head shot keep your mouth just slightly open this locks the jaw and chances of it breaking are slimmer. Those that get knocked out by getting hit in the jaw (glass-jaw) is normally as a result of clenched teeth.

To see what I am talking about close your jaw and LIGHTLY tap on the side of your jaw with your fist, DO NOT HIT YOURSELF. You will notice some slight movement in the actual jaw structure. Now try it with your jaw 'slightly' open and it should not move at all.

While this advice does not help you train to 'take' a hit it is very effective in helping you be able to still function after getting hit. And takes practice to learn to do this, as your natural instinct IS to clench your teeth.

--------------
I reserve the right to be wrong.
Although I will ALWAYS deny it!!!
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/02/23, 01:26 PM
I have never boxed before.....but if your neck is rigid......it won't help absorb the impact of the hit...throw an egg against a wall...it breaks......throw it against a pillow.....it won't. A strong neck as nothing to do with "taking" a punch....everyones head will move if punched.....a strong neck wil help the adoidance of whip lash.

concussion have nothing to do with "head snap" thats whiplash.

.....I mean I was sleding and went head first into a tree and got a concussion.......neck didn't help me any?

I'm nto saying a stronmg neck will not help......but it has nothing really to do with "taking a punch"

--------------
Hellscream
Hellscream
United Kingdom
2005/02/23, 09:14 PM
I think your getting a few things confused here. Crashing and taking a punch are different things. Example:

Hit your head with a hammer, you will be out but your head won't necesarily snap back. When your punched, specially with gloves it is like a huge fast push. Your head bounces off the gloves fast and causes the snap. Look at some pictures on the net of fights, some of them paused at exact moment in time looks like the head is about to fly off. Try another experiment such as quickly snapping your head back and feel your brain shake inside.

A punch isn't like an egg being hit against the wall as you say. Thats like a hammer to the head. Its more like an egg(brain) being put inside a ball(head) then bouncing that ball hard and fast. The gloves are not hard enough to cause the same damage as walls or hammers.

A strong neck will not prevent KO but it will help absorb some of the impact.

--------------
2005/02/24, 03:16 AM
mohammed ali in his post prime is like george foreman post prime like mike tyson post prime....etc...it shows them at their worst.....ali was so good b/c of his incredible foot work and hand speed...that's how he overwhelmed his opponents in his prime...he wasn't a power puncher nor a brickwall...pointing out a fighter at their worst to prove some point is not the best of idea...I am also guessing ALi sustained a lot of head damage during those last years of his career...which perhaps wasn't as apparent at the time...(I am not suggesting it lead to his parkinson's disease....but nevertheless)

strong neck muscles cannot prevent a concussion...no matter if your head stays fixed or goes flying back....your brain will move inside the brain cavity....strong neck muscles will help decrease whip lash as andrew pointed out..yet it will do 0 for concussion...b/c it cannot dampen the blow to the head....

my nascar example was merely an example to show that suggesting to spar to get experience getting hit in the head is foolish...or at least the way the advice was phrased...I would at the very least suggest to spar and to find ways to avoid being punched...if by chance you get hit...so be it...that's part of it...but to encourage him to spar simply for the 'experience of getting punched in the head'or 'being used to being punched' sends the wrong message....I think better way to phrase it would be for 'in the ring experience vs another fighter'.....not everyone is a brawler...some are very mechanically sound, quick, agile, and so forth, and can avoid being punched better than others....
firemansam
firemansam
Australia
2005/02/24, 06:58 AM
It wont prevent concussion but will lessen the chance of your head snapping back and causing injuries like whiplash, and will support your jaw. Ive boxed for 7 years now it is important to learn to tak a punch which they will teach you in a gym. I think as hellscream is saying that you need to know how to take a punch before you get in the ring, same as in football you need to know how to take a hit. While of course you want to avoid punches as much as possible in boxing it is inevitable that sooner or later you will get punched, this is why we spar so that when you do get hit you dont drop to the canvass. the idea of sparring isnt just to get punched but to learn to use the ring and to read your opponent and what to expect.
As for your NASCAR exaple all the drivers go through training for what to do in a crash, if your going to climb into a ring you need training for how to take a punch.
Berginyon your mouth should be closed when taking a hit when your jaw is rigid is when it snaps when you take a hit you dont lose teeth because you wear a mouth guard.
Bruce Lee was one of the craziest martial arts experts the world has ever seen. And he won many competitions before moving into movies
Berginyon
Berginyon
United States
2005/02/24, 11:56 AM
I completely disagree with your theory on keeping your jaw clenched, but I am also not going to sit here and banter back and forth with you. Everyone has their own theory on things, and no matter what anyone else says their theory is 'always right'. So on that note I bid you adoo.

Good luck Powerman on your new boxing lifestyle, stick with it. I am sure you will do great! Just don't overthink too much in the ring :laugh:
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2005/02/24, 01:39 PM
why don't you join a bxoing club and learn by doing it?

--------------
Vision without action is a daydream, Action without vision is a nightmare.
-- Japanese Proverb --

Hellscream
Hellscream
United Kingdom
2005/02/24, 02:32 PM
Yes that was muhammad ali's post prime, my poitn wasnt to say that it was his prime but that he needed his chin. He wouldnt have become a legend without his chin because he would have never survived Rumble in the Jungle & Thrilla in Manila. At that age his footwork was gone. Are you seriously telling me chin doesnt matter in boxing as the aim is to not get hit? Tell that to Marvin Hagler...one of the greatest, if not the greatest middleweight of all time and has one of the toughest chins in boxing history. When people bring a first aid kit to adventures their aim is to not have to use it, but they bring it anyways just incase. Ali denies that it lead to parkinson but I think it definetly did.

Not all KO are caused by concusion, a whiplash can cause a KO as the circulation to the brain is compressed. Such punches as temple punch are different.

Who said I said spar to naturally take hits? The whole point of sparring is simulating a boxing match...that means NOT get hit. Read my paragraph again:

"Whats this about nascar...this is boxing. Crashing in nascar is very different from getting hit in the head. I never suggested purposely getting hit in the head, I said spar and you will naturally get hit in the head wether you like it or not. I gave that advice because a person who has never been hit b4 will panic when he does get hit in the match, possibly KO. Not to mention no sane trainer would let you go to a match without sparring experience. At the same time hes not purposely getting hit but quite the opposite, his working his defence so he gets hit less. Its like killing 2 birds with one stone."

============
Quoting from menace3000:

mohammed ali in his post prime is like george foreman post prime like mike tyson post prime....etc...it shows them at their worst.....ali was so good b/c of his incredible foot work and hand speed...that's how he overwhelmed his opponents in his prime...he wasn't a power puncher nor a brickwall...pointing out a fighter at their worst to prove some point is not the best of idea...I am also guessing ALi sustained a lot of head damage during those last years of his career...which perhaps wasn't as apparent at the time...(I am not suggesting it lead to his parkinson's disease....but nevertheless)

strong neck muscles cannot prevent a concussion...no matter if your head stays fixed or goes flying back....your brain will move inside the brain cavity....strong neck muscles will help decrease whip lash as andrew pointed out..yet it will do 0 for concussion...b/c it cannot dampen the blow to the head....

my nascar example was merely an example to show that suggesting to spar to get experience getting hit in the head is foolish...or at least the way the advice was phrased...I would at the very least suggest to spar and to find ways to avoid being punched...if by chance you get hit...so be it...that's part of it...but to encourage him to spar simply for the 'experience of getting punched in the head'or 'being used to being punched' sends the wrong message....I think better way to phrase it would be for 'in the ring experience vs another fighter'.....not everyone is a brawler...some are very mechanically sound, quick, agile, and so forth, and can avoid being punched better than others....
=============

--------------
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2005/02/24, 09:44 PM
boxing club....

============
Quoting from asimmer:

why don't you join a bxoing club and learn by doing it?

=============
2005/02/27, 03:03 AM
point is Ali rose to greatness not because of his jaw but because of his footwork and hand speed, and other factors....when he had to 'resort' to having to use show 'his jaw'...that was the weak point...it's good that he had it...but it showed that he wasn't the same fighter....
powerman990
powerman990
United States
2005/02/27, 01:23 PM
i'm looking for a club but in my town there are none and the nearest one is like 40 miles away. Right now im looking at the colleges and a trainer to help me. Thanks for all your in put.
WAnglais1
WAnglais1
United States
2005/03/01, 04:48 PM
Don't make me give away the ending to "Million Dollar Baby." :laugh:

--------------
I ran outta gas. I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from outta town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake, a terrible flood, locusts. It wasn't my fault!! I swear to God!!
Hellscream
Hellscream
United Kingdom
2005/03/01, 06:57 PM
"point is Ali rose to greatness not because of his jaw but because of his footwork and hand speed, and other factors....when he had to 'resort' to having to use show 'his jaw'...that was the weak point...it's good that he had it...but it showed that he wasn't the same fighter...."

Did I say footwork, speed, skill wasnt important? Did I even put them below chin? Personally, I think chin ranks up there in importance for a boxer. However that's not the point. The point is wether a chin will make a fighter, a better fighter. You seem to think it wont by saying ignore the chin, I never said speed or skills is not important so I dont know what your trying to prove..

--------------
mitch3555
mitch3555
Canada
2005/05/27, 01:45 PM
ok guys i am only 14 rite so its suppose to be a lot harder to gain musccle and i jus got a punchin man soo i unt noe wat i can do if u guys could give me any hints that would b great