Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Let me get this straight!

duketter
duketter
United States
2002/09/04, 10:21 AM
Ok, so I am trying to incorporate more cardio into my workout. I am starting to run, there is a nice track indoors where I work out. Anyways, should I run 3x a week or more/less? I am trying to cut body fat. I am at around 225-230 now and want to cut down. Maybe cut 10-15lbs or so to get ripped. I have a lot of muscle, just some body fat covering it up. So, how long total should my workout be? This is including weight lifting. I do weight lifting first and then I do my cardio. I usually lift weights for about 30-45 minutes or so 4-5x a week. Then I will go and do cardio. Should I do cardio for another 30 minutes or is this too much in a day? I am cutting down on weight lifting time to do more cardio, which is very hard for me to do cause I don't like cardio. lol What type of time do you all use? weight lifting/cardio a day/week? Thanks!
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/09/04, 10:51 AM
You probably don't have to do any more cardio than 3x per week. Although, you really should do your cardio on a different time of day or on a non-weight training day. If you do HIIT cardio, that should take you about 20 mins. If doing regular cardio, 45-60 minutes should be enough.

Good luck!

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/09/04, 12:35 PM
If you are really trying to slash bodyfat, do your weight training as you do, first, then when you are pretty glycogen depleted as you should be, do your cardio. About 20 minutes of HIIT cardio one time, then the next time about 30 minutes to 45 minutes of standard cardio. HIIT cardio is a very intense cardio, and probably is best not done every time, so your body gets different stimulus and doesn't adapt so easily. Then go and have a high protein low carb meal. This will help minimize muscle loss. It is inevitable to lose some muscle. Now if your goal is strictly gaining muscle mass, then don't do cardio the same day, do it on different days to help maximize your muscle gains. I think that this is as good as it gets for us natural bodybuilders. Best of luck....and hope this helps.
OliveU2
OliveU2
United States
2002/09/04, 12:42 PM
bb1fit I was just about to ask a question that you just gave the answer to, lol! Thanks for the great explanations to so many of these questions. Keep up the good advice, it really helps!!!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/09/04, 12:45 PM
Glad to be of help...we all need it sometime.