Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 21, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

Ft Nutrition calculator mistaken...

kakaroto
kakaroto
El Salvador
2005/01/02, 09:54 AM
well lately i have received many messages from new people who wants to start diet and are asking for advice.
as usual anmd as everybody will do, i tell them to calculate their daily caloric needs.

the problem is when they do calculate here in FT, the calculator give wrong numbres, like 669g of carbs in a total of 3816 calories per day for 180 pounds 6´3 man who wishes to lose fat.

it looks like it is kind of "broken", LOL, perhaps.
i just want to make sure thats you have had this same problem.

have you?
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/01/02, 10:02 AM
well with any calculator......I did one in college and it said i need over 300caloris to survive, just to live lol.....and over 5000 because i'm so active lol.

I think its in part that the caculators assume, the whole 180lb is active. As in lean tissue. I think if one was to but their lean weight in, minus the fat....it would be more correct/ accurate. Since body fat doesn't do anything as in brun calories. But muscle does.

let me go play and see

--------------
The following, has not be approved by the FDA or FT, it was not meant to diagnose,treat,or prevent any diease(s) Please consult a moderator or doctor before using any of the suggestions or comments.

JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2005/01/04, 03:23 AM
what about that old calculator you posted a while ago ther bmi and nutritional calculator i found that one to be more accurate than the one on here. I don't even look at the one on here. I think it is "broken" as well.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/01/04, 11:31 AM
Yes, it is true. This one does usually give "bad" information. Actually, no calculator is correct, there is no one size fits all. There are too many factors to be taken into account. The only true way to find out is to tell them to actually write down everything they eat, and average it out.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
kakaroto
kakaroto
El Salvador
2005/01/04, 06:59 PM
YES JUSTIN, the one i posted is good but keep in mind that new people here dont talk to me or dont look for it... they go straight to FT calculator, wich seems to be kind of mistaken...

YES BB1, no calculator is 100% good but better choice the most accurate, isnt it?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/01/04, 08:58 PM
For folks who participate in strength training programs, most formulas are at the least inaccurate. Lean mass burns many more calories than fat mass for instance, and some fixed equation cannot take this into account(better body composition). And many have activity level...well, just how do you define active, very active, etc. this well explains why the guy next to you who weighs exactly the same and doing the same routine, gains like crazy on a 3000 calorie diet, yet you take in the same amount, do the same routine, and gain nothing.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
kakaroto
kakaroto
El Salvador
2005/01/04, 09:58 PM
everybody is different, yes. i am totally agreed with you. this is all about trying and changing and looking whats best for you.

the thing is when it comes for new ones, they need something the most accurate possible and from there see whats works the best fro them.

well, to be sincere, i was hoping maybe with this thread, FT staff would make some changes on the calculator in order for us, users, get better guidance.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/01/04, 10:27 PM
Just as a private note to you kakaroto, you say you get emails on diet. The important thing is to get folks as close as possible to their maintenance as soon as possible. This way you can actually conceive a diet for them, or give them accurate help. So, to do this as quickly as possible, here is a quick "rule of thumb" you can use to achieve this. For women, 10-15 calories per lb., for men 15-20. With the lower end toward dieting, the higher end toward gaining, or more active. This will get them started very quickly, and then from there you can more accurately help them.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
kakaroto
kakaroto
El Salvador
2005/01/05, 03:29 PM
ok thanks for the advice
puresnowchic
puresnowchic
United States
2005/01/07, 05:14 PM
I was always wondering about that guys... the calc. on here sayd I need 2200 to lose!!! No way I know I'd gain on that... LoL good to know I'm not the crazy one... BB1 makes more sense... 10-15 cal per pound for females... so for me it'd be 1680cal - 2520cal. much better... lol...

--------------
My mind tells me to win, my spirit shows me how, and my body delivers.

Cari
PureSnowChic@aol.com
Southern California