Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Indirect arm training

Slim-Daddy
Slim-Daddy
Canada
2002/05/24, 11:45 PM
how does this work? how does working my back effect my arms? If a muslce is not being broken down then how does it grow?
qualters
qualters
United States
2002/05/25, 01:14 PM
Heres an example of what I think might help you, if not the pros here at ft can assist you more. While performing the exercise "the bent over row" you are using your back muscles to mainly pull the weight. Your biceps are working as well but are not the main source of power and strenght to complete the motion. Your bi's are secondary to your back which is primary. I beleive the bi's are being broken down but not to a signifcant extent as is you were doing curls. This is my belief, hope it helps to clarify something...LOL I have also been told to get strong arms you must have a strong back, all our muscles influence eachother.
BQ
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/05/26, 10:56 PM
I'm no pro but.. I wonder if your asking about muscles that are considered a synergist in some exercises... like pullups or barbell rows.. your back is the muscle doing the lifting but could you do that lift w/o using your arms.. of course not.. so you are putting a little stress on some muscles in your arm as they stablize the weight for you as you pullup... you just don't break down the muscles stablizing the weight since their not really doing much of the lifting...... anyway if you want a muscle to grow then you need exercises in which that muscle is doing the lifting (and heavy compound exercises as some members around here have recommended on various posts)...

if your wondering what else is helping you along on some exercises you can visit exrx muscle directory and pick an exercise...

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/05/27, 01:34 AM
It's logic, small muscle groups get worked (and tired) before the big ones......
When working your back, your arms get tired first and even your forearms and wrists.
Want to take heavier? Train and strenghten your grip, wrist, forearm and arms.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....