Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Elbows and Wrists

ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/05/14, 03:20 PM
I know this sounds more like an injury related question, but I have convinced myslef it isn't, thus I posted it here instead.

I have been having remarkable success of late with strength gains using the 8 week mass program. However, the last 2 weeks I have been experiencing pain in both my elbows and wrists on the Bicep/Tricep days. Usually it begins when I go heavy with tricep extensions, and then gets worse with BB curls. I am extending 125 the last 2 tricep sets, and curling 115-120 the last two BB sets. I am not having trouble with the weight, but the pain is pissing me off. I do not feel this pain on other days, it usually lingers following the workout for about 24 hours.

Any ideas how I can beat this? I want to continue to go heavier, but realize I may be outpacing ligaments, connecting tissues, etc...
skinnyguy
skinnyguy
United States
2002/05/14, 03:32 PM
I also feel a pain in my elbow when i perform extensions, but I don't go real heavy and adjust each rep until I find a pain free form. Last workout I had to switch to dumbells for the extensions. It was awkward but it did not hurt. But the pain never occurs when I do curls. My wrists only hurt on chest days from the dumbell presses. Maybe you should get someone to guide you through the motion or use the EZ curl bar?

--------------
Vaya con Dios... Keith
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/05/14, 05:15 PM
I say take a day or two off, use RICE therapy, then try again. If the pain continues, go see a doc.

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
qualters
qualters
United States
2002/05/14, 05:29 PM
I have felt similar pain in my elbow when performing certain exercises for my tri's. I used pain as my guide, if it starts to act up i stop. I have noticed only certain exercies will affect it so I stay away from those specific exercises and substitute others. My buddy cant work out chest with a barbell, he can only use dumbells becasue the barbell form hurts his shoulders, the guy is in great shape. He just had to adjust to what his body could and could not do.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/05/15, 01:08 AM
Two good supplements for your joints are glucosamine and chondroitine (drinking enough water and get essentiel fat in your diet also play a major role).
These supplements help, the only annoying thing is that you have to take them for at least a month before feeling the benefits.

Why not try to heat up your joints with a balm or cream before doing your work out?!!! Maybe this little thing is enough to erase the pain and get a great work out.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/05/15, 01:05 PM
Thank you all very much. I had not thought about some of these approaches. I have taken time off though (a week). It seems to only hurt when working with the heaviest weights. I have not tried warming up, and would like to, but I have so little time during lunch as it is. A cream would solve this. And I the supp's too. We'll see.