Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Shrink muscle via running

stephanie17texa
stephanie17texa
United States
2004/09/15, 11:20 AM
I know most people who answer the questions on this site support weight training, so this question will probably be weird to most of you. I posted a message about 3 weeks ago (I can't find where I posted it so I dont know if anyone responded) but it stated that I was starting an exercise program with weight training involved. I have high testosterone levels and I am taking pills to help that. I started my weight training work out three weeks ago with EXTREMELY light weights and about 15 repititions and 2 sets. Within three weeks my legs, arms, and abs EXPANDED. Since I am small (5'2 110 pounds) this is not a pretty look on me. I also gained 5 pounds within that time (and I know you are supposed to gain within the first couple weeks) but I knew I would keep gaining so I stopped weights all together. I know most of you would not recomend this, but I have no choice...I was gaining more muscle at a quicker rate then even a man would.

Anyway, my question...I decided to just do cardio (running 6 miles 5 days a week). I am wondering if this will help shrink my muscles. I read in some pleaces that running DOES shrink muscle, but I want to confirm it. Thank you for your time.
puresnowchic
puresnowchic
United States
2004/09/15, 01:44 PM
In my personal opinion, when "smaller" women such as yourself put on muscle, they are used to seeing their bodies without muscle and are not used to how it looks, even if you do have high testosterone it's doubtful you've put on as much muscle as you think, its just a new and different look, It also depends on your eating habits too, if your eating too much you will put on more muscle, if you eat at your maintenance or below you cannot put on an extreme amount of muscle... I would like to know your calorie intake... But I would suggest to keep doing your weight schedule, and incorpoate running as well, since it is good for your cardiovascular system, and helps burn excess calories, but also by eating less you would not get "huge" bulky muscles... hope this helps....

--------------
My mind tells me to win, my spirit shows me how, and my body delivers.
senseless
senseless
United States
2004/09/19, 01:26 AM
I'm sure this will not go over well with many here, but I would recommend yoga rather than simply running. Running will reduce the muscle gains, particularly in your upper body, simply by atrophe. That's really now what you want. Yoga, on the other hand, will elongate teh muscles and connecting tissues while strengthening them. The result is that you maintain the strength and lose the mass. For the record, by "yoga" I don't mean the watered down stuff that you get from a class that's taught right after aerobics in your local gym. Explore the many different styles of yoga out there and then find a studio. Ashtanga yoga, which burns a lot of calories by producing bodyheat through constant, graceful motion, is very popular with the fitness crowd. Likewise, Anusara yoga is a relatively new style that has become somewhat of a sensation. It is a more "American" approach to yoga that seems to resonate quite strongly with women. Well, my opinions on the various styles are really just opinions and you should look into them for yourself. Just a thought.
Romchik
Romchik
Russian Federation
2008/06/02, 01:21 PM
Could Somebody give me suggestion. I like running and i want to continue running, but i dont want my muscle grow neither in the lower body nor upper body, what should i do and would my leg muscle shrink?
Thanks a lot
Romchik
Romchik
Russian Federation
2008/06/02, 03:49 PM
And Also Does Fast twitch fiber muscles really turn into slow twitch fibers
DGJ3
DGJ3
United States
2008/07/06, 02:09 AM
Your muscles will get smaller simply when you stop working them out. I would stop taking those pills you mentioned in the post, and this might be why you've noticed a big difference in muscle size.
docksideguy05
docksideguy05
United States
2008/07/12, 08:21 PM
I wish i could complain about putting on too much muscle.... haha