Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

Overeating and fat burners...

puresnowchic
puresnowchic
United States
2004/09/12, 03:45 PM
Everyone always says to stay away from the fat burners, but I can't keep my calories at a decent amount unless I'm taking something, my hunger and/or cravings just won't go away, and it seems like I only have control when I have an appetite supressant or something similar, are fat burners so bad?? why does everyone keep telling me to stay away from them?? are there any good ones?? PLEASE HELP...

--------------
My mind tells me to win, my spirit shows me how, and my body delivers.
bobosensei
bobosensei
United States
2004/09/13, 11:19 AM
I think your reliance on appetite suppressants is just psychological. If you take the suppressant then you think that you can do it, but if you don't you feel weaker. I'm not really sure how one would address this problem. Maybe try not taking the full dose until you can "wean" yourself off of them while still being able to eat the right amounts. Or try the natural appetite suppressant: protein! Eat enough protein and you'll feel less hungry.
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2004/09/13, 11:20 AM
Do you drink plenty of water? Lot's of times a couple of glasses of water can curb the hunger.

--------------
You can cover up the flaws on your body, but there is no hiding a flawed personality.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/09/13, 01:15 PM
fiber too helps

--------------
if you want sympathy......from me...in a dictionary look between symphony and syphillis.......there you\'ll find it!
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/09/13, 01:17 PM
also i don't think they are that bad, but after awhile since most are stimulants, you will become immune to that amount an dhave to take more and more. This can get expensive, like cigs. Also since they raise your heart rate this could put undue stress on the heart and blood vessels. might wanan see your doc and ask him, cause he'll know more about your heart than I Do lol. I stay away from them cause I have a leaky heart valve, if i do take them, no longer than a monthand very small dosages.

--------------
if you want sympathy......from me...in a dictionary look between symphony and syphillis.......there you\'ll find it!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/09/13, 11:01 PM
Your own thread makes them bad if for no other reason, as you state you CANNOT keep calories at a decent amount without them, so they have become a crutch you cannot do without. I suggest restructuring your diet. Diet does not mean you have to be hungry, if you are intelligent about it you will be full and satisfied. The secret is nutrient dense foods as compared to calorically dense foods.(you can eat a much larger amount of these than calorie dense foods, thus promoting a feeling of being satiated).

============
Quoting from PureSnowChic:

Everyone always says to stay away from the fat burners, but I can't keep my calories at a decent amount unless I'm taking something, my hunger and/or cravings just won't go away, and it seems like I only have control when I have an appetite supressant or something similar, are fat burners so bad?? why does everyone keep telling me to stay away from them?? are there any good ones?? PLEASE HELP...

=============

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
puresnowchic
puresnowchic
United States
2004/09/15, 02:07 PM
Thanks guys, just FYI, but I drink anywhere from 3/4 to 1 gal of water per day, and get between 130-160 grams of pro, you know what I thought I was eating "good" but maybe the things I thought were good really arent, like cheeses, low-fat cheese, lowfat yogurt, granola, milk, soymilk, I guess since these items have a bit more sugar in them that would caount as a caloricly dense food... ... I don't eat fast food nor soda, I guess maybe I just have to tweak my diet to figure it out... all I know is that this is hard...

--------------
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/09/15, 02:35 PM
yes, it is a bit daunting until you get it figured out. If you care to, why don't you post your current diet and calorie range if possible and maybe some help can be pointed out?? Each meal if possible.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
puresnowchic
puresnowchic
United States
2004/09/15, 02:51 PM
Hi, thank you BB1, well it's typical for me to be unconsistant... LoL, I know I should be at around 1700-1800 cal per day, but I'm also not lifting weights right now and doing minimal cardio... , ok well since I don't have a "normal" day, I'll just give you what I ate yesterday...

* Morning- 9:00am- 1 pc homemade french toast with all natural pnut btr, and 100% pure maple syrup ~ 350 kcal, 3 egg whites ~ 60 kcal, 8 oz skim milk ~ 90 kcal

* Lunch- 12:00pm- 5 oz boiled chicken ~ 250 calories, 1/2 cup brown rice ~ 75 cal

* Dinner- 7:00pm- 6oz BBQ steak ~ 600 cal, 3/4 c. mashed potatoes & gravy ~ 250 cal. 16oz skim milk 180 cal.

* Snack- 9:00pm- 1.5 cups boiled squash with 2oz cheese... 250kcal

So total for the day I'm guessing is around... 2100... but I'm not even sure if I'm counting right... =)

Thnk you....

--------------
puresnowchic
puresnowchic
United States
2004/09/15, 02:55 PM
I eat a lot of "healthy" foods at restaurants that I have nutrition facts for, my faves right now are Rubio's chicken salad, and a local sushi shop ... =) I don't eat "fast food" nor drink soda, usually 3/4-1gal of water perday, I do drink alot of ice tea and crystal light, and I usually get about 130-160 grams of pro per day...

--------------
t-babe
t-babe
United Kingdom
2004/09/15, 03:02 PM
I'm no expert and my diet is nowhere near where it should be but a couple of points anyway.
You're leaving too much time between your lunch and dinner. Try and get two meals in there. Also your maple syrup, is that the low carb variety? Watch the sauce you have - sometimes there more trouble that they're worth. And your gravy with your mash probably isn't the best - okay once in a while. Try some oatmeal for breakfast and get some salad/veggies in your other meals. It's all trial and error and sometimes you think your hitting your head against a brick wall. Try looking for recipes/meal ideas on the threads and tweak them to your own taste. Also herbs and spices can add flavour to meals as well. Good luck.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/09/15, 10:34 PM
Sorry in the delay in posting snowchic, but, better late than never???:big_smile:

Ok, here is what I would propose to you with your current situation...no cardio or lifting at the moment, and this in fact may be a good thing. This indeed would be a great time to find your maintenance calorie intake, and stay there for a week or so. The reasoning here is first, this will serve to re-regulate the metabolism, and get this in order. This is crucial, so you are not increasing your fat to muscle ratio by slowdown of metabolic rate. I am sure this is happening with your eating habits..but I will address that in a minute. So, after you are at maintenance and your system is back chugging along, when beginning lifting and cardio again this should in itself result in some impressive results simply from the caloric deficit created from the added exercise. When this stops, you will have a place to make intelligent calorie cuts from to keep the progress going as needed.

Now, how do you find your maintenance?? Well, the most sure way would be to record everything you put in your mouth for a minimum of 3-5 days, and weigh yourself again at the end of this time period at the same time as your original weigh in(early morning is probably best for obvious reasons). Now with your normal daily activity level the same, if you have stayed the same, you are very very close to your maintenance level. Average out the daily intake of those days and voila'! Now, if you do not choose to go this route, there are formulas to use, I am not a big fan of them as everyone is so different, but the easiest one to do would be to multiply your weight by 12. (women are usually in the 10-15 calorie per lb. range), so we will use 12 to start with. This will give you a number that is ballpark, and a starting place. Again, you need a starting place. If this amount of calories makes you gain weight, then at least you have a place to again proceed intelligently from with calorie cuts, I would recommend the 10% range.

Now, to your current diet...first you need to add at least one meal, between 12 and 7 is way too long to go without food. "Grazing" is optimal to keep metabolism revving along. Your current meals...in the morning, I would drop the french toast and syrup, add one more eggwhite and one whole egg, and have 1/2 cup of oatmeal for good fibrous carbs. You may add a bit of fruit if you like to the oats, blueberries or strawberries are a good choice. Your lunch looks pretty good, though I would add 1 cup veggies(not corn!) In between lunch and dinner, a nice snack would be a can of tuna and 2 cups of veggies, or a tomato, etc. Your dinner being at 7, and seeings how you are getting no healthy fats besides pb., I would recommend dropping the beef but for having it only once per week. A better option would be a 6 oz. chicken breast baked, and if you must have a carb here I would opt for about 4 oz. sweet potato. But ideally 2 cups of veggies and an oz. of walnuts, 1 tbsp. natural pb., or even better 1 tbsp. flax oil would be best. For your late snack, opt for some cottage cheese and a large green oily salad...an olive oil dressing would be good. Fit these type foods in your calorie range you come up with.

Hope this gives you some ideas...best of luck to you.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
puresnowchic
puresnowchic
United States
2004/09/16, 03:24 PM
BB1 Late is ALWAYS better than never... LoL. Thank you for some very insightful help... its funny what you wrote in the middle paragraph about finding my maintenance calories and writing everything down, because that's exactly what I was doing!!!! :big_smile: I wrote down everything I ate this whole week, and weighed myself at the same time at the beginning and the end, and I've figured that with no exercise to maintain is about 1900 kcal per day, any more than that and I start gaining... Also another question, when everyone says 2 cups of veggies, what kind and how are they fixed?? Do you mean the carrot/broccoli/cauliflower mix in bags?? If so are they eaten plain?? Or would a spinach salad be a good idea?? I like all the food on the menu above except oatmeal "sorry!!" I really can't stand it, and as it is I force myself to eat it about once a week... (because I know it's healthy), is their any other good breakfast foods?? Thnk you so much!!!!!!! Cari...

--------------
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/09/16, 05:33 PM
Veggies should be of the fibrous kind...very colorful and nutritious. For instance, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, green and red peppers, spinach, etc., and yes, spinach salads are excellent.

I would say for your morning cereal maybe try cream of wheat, if you cant stand that, they have excellent fiber and omega 3 cereals such as Optimums blueberry crunch, even Uncle Sam's is good.

Excellent job doing what you did. that shows determination and dedication. You will go a long ways with that drive. Now you don't have to guess, you have a concrete starting place to work from. You can start your caloric deficit with for instance a 200 calorie cut per day, this is in no way a shock to the body, and everything should function normal. This will result in a nice slow loss.

Did you notice what I pointed out about nutrient dense instead of calorie dense. For 3 oz. of beef you can eat 6 oz. of chicken for the same calories. This type of thing, it will keep you feeling full with a larger quantity of food. Do not be afraid of veggies, eat alot. These are your freind on a good diet(and other times too).

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/09/16, 08:01 PM
If I may, I would like to mention a few "personal" notes. This is not a "fad diet" of any kind, this is a sound, healthy eating regimine and coupled with an exercise program will get you not only a weight loss, but a toned and tight phsyique. Take it slow, do not get on the scale daily and look for "miracles". Too much too fast may please you on the scale, but it is most probably lean tissue as much or more than fat, making things even worse. If you for instance with your first cut in 2 weeks do not see a weight loss, it may be due to many factors, one being mainteneance amount was a bit off to start, so another small cut may be in order. At least one thing, you will be eating healthy and can't possibly be adding any fat. The reason I mention this is my experience with "dieters". Many, especially frustrated dieters want to see the scale go down daily and get frustrated and give up. Keep the vision, keep strong, and give it time. 8-12 weeks and you should see a brand new you. 12 weeks may seem long, but in relation to the rest of your life, it is actually a very short time and is going to pass regardless. So, good luck to you, I am off my soap box now!!:big_smile:

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com