Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

How do I know if it worked?

dmvwh8kq4j
dmvwh8kq4j
United States
2002/03/22, 09:43 AM
I know this sounds like a stupid question, but the answer isn't obvious to me. I'm just finishing the 11th wk of the 12 wk advanced mass building program. To date, I have lost little to no weight, my body fat has only dropped by 1.9% and I've lost on my entire body only a total of 4". I've also been following a good diet. I can see gains in strength, but that's about it. How do I know if I've actually put on muscle if the numbers don't show it? One other question. I see that the 12 wk. program is actually 14 wks. long. I'm going in for knee surgery next week and am not going to be able to do those last 2 weeks. What are they? Any theories, comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Nancy
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/03/22, 10:37 AM
If you follow the ft nutrition program, you should be okay...because unless you have good genetics, you CAN'T lose weight and gain muscle mass simultaneously!

The last 2 weeks of the 12-week mass program is rest! Whew! Your body's going to need it if you worked out intensely the entire time.

Good luck with your surgery and hope that all goes well!

--------------
**_Robert_**
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/03/23, 01:57 AM
Yes don't worry about the last two weeks, it's only rest weeks.
My question to you is, how do you feel? How do you feel in your clothes or when watching yourself in the mirror? Seeing any difference and happy with it?
I'll say that it's great what you have done. Take your two weeks off and then begin another exercise program with more reps.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
dmvwh8kq4j
dmvwh8kq4j
United States
2002/03/23, 12:46 PM
Thank you for your comments and good wishes. When I have a goal I tend to be very focussed. My workouts are also my stress relief so intensity is important. However, coming towards the end of my 12 wk program I have started to notice little aches and strains from lifting so much heavier. Those 2 wks rest will come at a good time. With my surgery, I won't be able to work out anyway.

Nina, to answer your question. I guess it's true that we are all our own worst critics. The only visible difference I see is that I look bigger all over. Not necessarily more muscular, just bigger. Not exactly the look I was going for! I am proud, however, of my strength gains. I haven't seen a women in our gym yet who can do 4 sets of chins or 4 sets of dips without using the Gravitron! I'm a little competative too--which I know is a big no no in the gym. When I return I will take your advice and start a high rep. program with more cardio (another dilema after knee surgery) and see if I can't do a little defining and cutting.

Thanks again y'all.

Nancy