Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

Taco Bell and Snickers kicked my ass

DaniDIEt
DaniDIEt
United States
2004/08/15, 08:41 PM
There it is. Another binge ending. I won't tell you how much I ate out of embarassment, but I am feeling sick. I don't even like Taco Bell!! And then to leave for the store for candy Bars!! I hate myself today!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2004/08/16, 02:19 AM
Don't feel any guilt; it'll just be worse and you cannot do anything now. Forget it and get going! Let it go and jump back on the wagon! :)

We don't have Taco Bells in France..........

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
www.nme-pro.com
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2004/08/17, 09:23 PM
No taco bells in Montreal! Can't miss what I never had!
Hope your back on track.

--------------
"A will finds a way, failure is not an option"
Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
bobosensei
bobosensei
United States
2004/08/18, 09:37 AM
Hey Dani I binge every now and then too. The important thing is to let it happen when it happens, and not make it worse. In this case I'd say making it worse means binging for days because you feel worse and worse.

Look at it this way, if you were eating poorly 80% of the time and the right way 20% then you needed to change those habits. Now maybe you are eating poorly only 40 or 50% of the time, which isn't the best, but it is an improvement. If you keep eating better more and more of the time and the slip ups get fewer and further between then you will have reached your goal. At the end of the day you want a life style change, not to count protein, calories, and fat all day long. Once you are eating well almost all of the time you won't have to worry when you don't.

Focus on the good changes you've made. Think of how well you ate before you slipped up. Be honest with yourself, are you not eating enough calories or doing something that is causing you to binge? This could be a sign that you'll need to take your progress more slowly to ensure that it sticks.

I don't know how your diet is now, but I'll give you some inspiration with my story. I lost 9 pounds (only needed to lose about 25-30 in total) just by cutting portion sizes for about a month and a half. It started with my new job I promised myself to not snack at the computer, and so far I have not. I ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner with a snack before or after. Sure when you look at it as only about one pound lost per week it isn't too encouraging. When we focus on losing weight we want to see bigger numbers falling off. However, it didn't even feel like I had to try that hard. I would still eat whatever I wanted, but I stopped when i was full. Now that I am on track and starting to exercise regularly I know I'll likely need more calories (or at least a cleaner diet!) so I am working on eating better foods now while I start doing cardio. When I go to the store now, I shop only in the natural foods section or the isles that border the store (a tip from Atkins diet) I get fresh fruits and veggies, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, chicken, fish, occasional red meats, brown rice, salsa, Kashi Go Lean cereal, and other interesting natural whole foods. I find if I buy things like the fancy chips that are cooked one batch at a time and come in small packs I can eat just 5 chips or so with a meal and it tastes great and kills cravings without breaking the diet too horribly. In a few weeks when I am used to less junk food and getting my required protein I will begin to lift weights.

Sure I'd love to be able to do a 180 overnight and stay on the straight and narrow path forever, but I know it is impossible. You have to find what works for you and be patient. I have given up the idea that I can be skinny in 3 months. Instead I want to take a year to reach the healthy and improved me. Being thinner will be a side bonus.

Keep up the hard work you have done thus far Dani! Slow and steady wins the race :dumbbell:
DaniDIEt
DaniDIEt
United States
2004/08/18, 03:06 PM
I appreciate the advice. I am going to try to eat every 2 hours but just a little. I am hoping that this helps me not freak out and start eating too much. I have always lost weight before with diet pills but I know I have a tendency to abuse them so I'd rather not.

I know why the binge happened. "Aunt FLo" was visiting, but it is still no excuse. Other times when I binge there is no reason except the fact that I am being a pig.

When I cut back on my food, I also tend to try to "replace" the emptiness with alcohol, or whatever. If I could just pinpoint the problem....
bobosensei
bobosensei
United States
2004/08/18, 04:19 PM
ahhhh Aunt Flo...

I get a little binge crazy then myself. Birth control pills helped me a lot. I take yasmin, which actually has something in it which helps suppress the appetite or something. When i first started to take it I got full really quickly, and it may be hellping me stay full now- can't really remember what it was like before I took them though, it's been almost a year.

I like to "treat" myself with diet rite colas. They come in lots of flavors and are better for you than regular diet sodas are. Maybe this could be a good substitution for the alcohol. or just use less alcohol per drink (with beer I know a woman who drinks half beer and half diet ginger ale to keep from getting too many calories and too much alcohol) that might be a good way to try to cut down the things that you know are a weakness for you.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/08/28, 11:44 PM
Taco Bell is the shiznit!!!! I frikin love mexican food. When I was tryin to gain mass, I ate it a lot, but now it's just every once in a while.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

DaniDIEt
DaniDIEt
United States
2004/08/29, 11:23 AM
Well, You know, Taco Bell always "seems" like a good idea at first. It's cheap and fast, and when you start eating your like "ok, this is alright" then when your done you can't decide if you have to puke or crap... Or both.
sivysivy
sivysivy
United States
2005/02/27, 07:12 PM
You can find all the nutritional facts for Taco Bell at tacobell.com. Having this information may help you make better nutritional choices when you go there, which in turn may help you avoid feeling guilty. :big_smile:
rickyshot
rickyshot
United States
2005/03/03, 10:27 AM
When I was young I was too small. I use to eat everything in site and developed a sweet tooth. You would not believe how much food I can pack into this small body. Fast forward to my 50 year old present and developed hypothyroid. I cannot lose a lb to save my life. I will binge about four times a year. My fave is Haagan Daaz. I will eat the pint in one sitting. No problem. I use to eat whole Sara Lee cakes. True confessions.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2005/03/03, 10:08 PM
Lets go have a pint of HD!

--------------
Scales are for dead weight: We are not dead yet!
Still trying to find out how to do the Hollywood Free Press.

Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
rickyshot
rickyshot
United States
2005/03/04, 10:29 AM
Ivan anytime You can't outdo me.
spun117
spun117
United States
2005/03/05, 07:15 AM
aww man, its ok, yes you should infact eat 6 small meals a day. i infact also used to have an eating disorder, eating that way really helped me, because I wasnt full after I ate and I was eating all the time. my metabolism sped up, people used to tell me that all the time but I didn't actually believe them until I did it myself. I ate pretty much what bobosensei ate. not just salads. and if you don't like the food, you will learn to love it just within about a month of eating it. tocobell will seem discusting along with all the other fastfoods. that is what happened to me. don't worry, be happy, you'll do Great!!!
krystal_reeves
krystal_reeves
United States
2005/05/24, 04:08 AM
My favorite ice cream is Blue Bell. It is made and sold only in Texas, unless a store has it shipped elsewhere. Anyway, I have a problem with Chinese Buffets, Taco Bell, Burger King, Long John Silvers, mexican restaurants,you name it. I can't stop eating there... man i have gained 41 pounds in just one year... i am trying my best to kick the habbit of eating out.