Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Jumping 101

Ironbod
Ironbod
United States
2002/01/19, 10:15 PM
Does anyone know of any ways to increase my vertical jump. I am a bodybuilder first, but also love to play basketball and I am tall so a lot of pressure is put on me to be able to jump. My vertical is about 25 inches now but I want to get at least another foot on it and hopefully into the 40's. Please Help!
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/01/19, 10:30 PM
Ironbod, therein lies your dilemma. Bodybuilders usually carry excess weight (in muscle) so they have to work extra hard to jump vertically. You may just try some resistance training (such as jumping while in a pool, wearing ankle/leg weights, etc.) to get them a little stronger.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/01/20, 04:20 AM
Yep that's the way.
Finally don't forget to stretch your muscles......
Arnold
Arnold
Canada
2002/01/20, 11:59 AM
Ironbod..

There are an infinite number of plyometric exercises to increase vertical leap but here are a few good ones:

1. Two foot ankle hop (low intensity)
keeping your feet together and remaining in one place hop up and down using only your ankles and calves. Concentrate on getting as high as you can and exploding off the ground as soon as you land.

2. Rim Jumps (medium intensity)
Stand under a basketball rim. Jump up touching the rim (or net or whatever) with alternate hands. Concentrate on getting as high as you can and exploding off the ground as soon as you land.

3. Box to Box jumps (high intensity)
Place two boxes that will support your weight about 3 feet apart. Standing on one box step (NOT JUMP) off to the ground and immediately jump back up to the other box. Turn around and repeat. Obviously the difficulty of this exercise is increased as the height of the boxes are increased. Once again concentrate on getting as high as you can and exploding off the ground as soon as you land (notice a pat tern here?)

In all the above exercises you are using your body weight and gravity to load the muscle before contraction. The forces you generate are much larger than could be safely accomplished using conventional resistance (read weights) exercises. It is true these forces only exist for a brief amount of time, but they still stress the muscle which is the point.

Also these exercises can be combined. For example try jumping off a box before jumping up to the rim.

Good Luck.. let me know of your progress!

.o0 Arnold 0o.