Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Muscle strengths

jbennett
jbennett
United States
2001/10/04, 10:23 PM
I am a bit concerned with the strength of certain muscles. For instance, my chest I'm not too worried about (1-rep max = 300lbs.), but my shoulders for some reason concern me. I am currently doing a powerlifting-type workout (higher sets, low heavy reps) for strength gains and I feel my shoulders are too weak. I've really improved my overall shoulder strength, but I want to be sure it "up to par". On my 8th set (last set) of military press w/ barbell, I do 145lbs twice - after I do 135lbs for 3 sets, 3-6 reps each. I haven't attempted a 1-rep max on military and don't plan on it - I don't feel like injuring my shoulders anytime soon. I feel that for someone that can put up 300lbs on bench, they should do quite well on shoulder excercises, too. Am I "up to par" or do I need to continue to work on shoulder strength? Just want some opinions and feedback.
dc95318
dc95318
United States
2001/10/13, 08:22 AM
i always had a very stong bench press too, and i always thought it was because my shoulders were so strong. one thing i always did was to make sure to train the two seperately, with a few days in between to make sure you're maximizing your effort. also, if you're able to do standing behind the neck presses it works great for me, and it boosts all my shoulder lifts. goodluck.