Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

carpel tunnel

sandysford
sandysford
United States
2004/06/25, 05:43 PM
Any exercises that you can suggest to help the problem?

--------------
THE NATURAL WAY IS THE ONLY TRUE PATH TO SUCCESS, PRIDE, JOY, HAPPINESS, LONG TERM FULFILLMENT AND SELF-ESTEEM!
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2004/06/26, 04:31 AM
I don't know if you are familiar with the Cochrane database? - it is a collection of systematic reviews of medical evidence and is one of the most respected sources of evidence. It has a review of non-surgical treatments for carpal tunnel syndrome - they looked at exercise and did not find a significant benefit except for yoga

REVIEWER'S CONCLUSIONS: Current evidence shows significant short-term benefit from oral steroids, splinting, ultrasound, yoga and carpal bone mobilisation. Other non-surgical treatments do not produce significant benefit. More trials are needed to compare treatments and ascertain the duration of benefit.

Ref:Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. (1):CD003219, 2003.

Let me know if you want to see the full abstract

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/06/26, 09:00 PM
Sandy - My Mother had an ergonomics person come in and evaluate their workshop, they gave them specific stretches and exercises to help prevent carpal tunnel - not treatment, but prevention.

Since it is an inflammatory condition, reducing things that agravate inflammation may help (sugar) and adequate hydration I would think.

When I was extremely low-carb in my diet cycle I noticed an increase in tendonitis type pain and wrist/elbow discomfort. My chiro said it had to do with the acid balance in my tissues, that carbs act as a buffer in your system. So you may want to look at your carb intake.

Let me know if you want those stretches/exercises, I will type them in for you.

--------------

\"Inscribe this on the charm that dangles from your navel, girls. Guys, tattoo this on your biceps:

Building muscle and might builds strong minds and character. Respect and humility come from lifting weights and feeding yourself with care. And from these distinguished qualities a great nation of people is built, by God. (Of course the God part is your choice, friend.)\" Dave Draper

DvlishLdy
DvlishLdy
Canada
2004/06/28, 09:56 AM
I had problems during pregnancy and acupuncture helped.
If you want to learn more about Acupuncture go to :

http://www.kiplingchiro.com/acupuncture.htm
sandysford
sandysford
United States
2004/06/29, 01:27 PM
asimmer, Please send me those exercises, I would like to do that first before I do anything to my diet. The diet is doing what I want it to do, 1 pound a week on a ave.

DvlishLdy, I have been doing accupressure and that seems to help, thanks for the site.

--------------
THE NATURAL WAY IS THE ONLY TRUE PATH TO SUCCESS, PRIDE, JOY, HAPPINESS, LONG TERM FULFILLMENT AND SELF-ESTEEM!
2004/06/29, 01:35 PM
My wife's undergoing treatment for carpel tunnel now. The therapist hooks up electrodes with meds inderneath the patch and they zap it with electricity. They say it promotes absorption.

Her main exercise is to pull the hand down to a 90 degree angle to the arm and hold for 30 seconds. Then she reverses the hand for 30 seconds the other way. Therapist said 10 or 15 times a day. The idea is that the tendon has contracted and you want to stretch it as much as possible.
I'll ask here about other movements.

Her doc said the surgery was easy and recovery quick but you know docs.

--------------
Foolish consistancies are the hobgoblins of small minds.

Charlie
sandysford
sandysford
United States
2004/06/29, 01:44 PM
I had the surgery on my right hand about ten years ago, the best thing I ever did, I don't want to opt for surgery on the left hand, thanks Charlie, I will try it.

--------------
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/06/30, 10:05 AM
Also, circles with your wrists, really reaching your hands in every direction for maximal stretch.

Finger flicks - where you open and close your hands as wide as possible repeatedly.

--------------

\"Inscribe this on the charm that dangles from your navel, girls. Guys, tattoo this on your biceps:

Building muscle and might builds strong minds and character. Respect and humility come from lifting weights and feeding yourself with care. And from these distinguished qualities a great nation of people is built, by God. (Of course the God part is your choice, friend.)\" Dave Draper

2004/06/30, 10:22 AM
When I did my therapy after rotator cuff surgery, the first 4 sessions I had 4 different therapists. On the fourth, I latched on to one I liked and stuck to her for the next 12 weeks. Every one of them said somthing different.

I talked with Elaine a while about her therapy last night. Same thing is happening with her. Do these therapists read the same books? One says ice, one says heat. One said use the wrist as much as possible, the other said imobilize it. Its all very confusing. The last one told her to do as little as possible with her wrist. Guess who she plans on finishing out the therapy with.

I never would have remembered this if we hadn't talked. In my own case I feel my therapist helped me recover greatly. Don't know if I'd have felt the same if I had have stuck with another.

It seems to be a crapshoot Sandy. Doncha love medical science?? Hows your insurance??:big_smile:

--------------
Foolish consistancies are the hobgoblins of small minds.

Charlie