Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

glutamine for strength athletes

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2004/06/22, 02:17 PM
Ok, ok, i know this should be posted in the supplements forum, but this is the only forum i spend any time in and besides, I'm not really looking for advice from bodybuilders on getting bigger. My question is this: Ive heard different things from different sources, and I wanted to know if it would be advisable for a strength athlete that wanted to keep his/her weight down to take glutamine as a supplement. Once again, I'm not looking to gain weight, as i have to maintain a certain weight class, just looking to get stronger. thanx

--------------
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even.
GOWAR
GOWAR
United States
2004/06/22, 02:26 PM
If you take glutamine and keeping working out you should gain alot of muscle and it will also help you recover faster from your workouts, I have never heard of it being used a weight loss supplement. I take Mega Whey from GNC and that has 5 grams of L - Glutamine , 3 grams of BCAA and 40 grams of protein. Most of the time when I am in a solid lifting and running routine , I just take off the fat and gain muscle and maintain my current weight. So yeah I would take it if I were you.
Why don't you read up on it , on this website they have info. on it in the health resources.

Hope this helps
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/06/23, 11:16 AM
I think glutiman is more mental than anything. I took it, saw no help with it. I'd rather spend my mony of amino acids that have all the essentials and a few others.

--------------
.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!
......minds are not vessles to be filled, but fires to be enlightened
......Confucious once said ,DO NOT play leap frog with a unicorn

GOWAR
GOWAR
United States
2004/06/23, 07:02 PM
then why is glutamine one of the top 3 supplements in the world
jamesman
jamesman
United States
2004/06/23, 10:24 PM
i have been taking it for 2 or 3 weeks now and seam to be geting stronger and more muscle mass.
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2004/06/23, 11:07 PM
my protein powder has 5g/serving of glutamine in it - one of the big reasons i decided to go with that particular powder. glutamine has a lot of advantages, one of which is that it will help bolster your immune system, but it is expensive as all get out for the good stuff. i can't afford to buy the extra glutamine with everything else that i use, so i rely on what's in my powder to get me through.

wrestler, i use whey protein with glutamine, creatine, hmb, zma, and a vitamin-c/calcium supplement that helps me be a little more anti-catabolic. i have not seen any weight gain while using any of these supplements. if you're not on a bulking diet, you shouldn't see any gain either if you're taking glutamine. with everything else i take, you'd expect me to get huge, right? but no, gaining mass is about more than just the supplements you take, so you're weight will be fine with the glutamine.

--------------
success comes before work only in the dictionary. that's right.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/06/24, 07:22 PM
I read an article that it snot as hyped up as its soposed to be. Muscle and fitness I believe. I prefer taking BCAA's so I gett all them, muscle is built with all amnio acids not just one. Say what you want, take it if you want didn't do anything for me.

--------------

GOWAR
GOWAR
United States
2004/06/25, 03:50 AM
that much is definitely true.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2004/06/27, 06:31 PM
thanx 4 all the help.
gowar: i wasnt considering to take it as a weight loss supplement, what i was mostly asking is will it cause me to bulk up, which, as a wrestler, is undesirable. Hence the reason this was posted in the powerlifting forum.
thanx 4 all ur input, and if anyone else has anything helpful, I would be more than greatful

--------------
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/06/29, 05:36 PM
came to say I was wrong, I found the article gowar......and it(l- glutamen) was in the buy lists.......however it was number 4 on the list.....mutivitamens, whey, creatine where ahead of it. so my bad.....but TRy it and see if it works for you wrestler, if it does, go for it if not chaulk that up on the no buy list, just like half the crap out there.

--------------

2004/07/01, 12:51 PM
Yogi, the 2 following posts are from BB1 on another board.

You can probably never take too much L-Glutamine. Take as much as you can afford. It is a conditionally essential amino acid. If the pool is low, the body will rob glutamine from the only source it can, the muscles.

5 gr. pre training, 5 gr. post training, 5 gr. mid day, and 5 gr. before bed would be great.

--------------
Foolish consistancies are the hobgoblins of small minds.

Charlie
Damselfly
Damselfly
United States
2004/07/06, 12:19 AM
L-glutamine is a great supp. as far as I'm concerned. It's especially helpful with muscle soreness which in turn helps with a quicker recovery time among MANY other things. It's naturally occurring in the body so it will not harm you. It's best to take 5 ml right after your workout and then another 5 ml an hour to 90 min. later. Here is a great article if you would like to read up more about it!

http://www.thewayup.com/newsletters/041501.htm

Here is another....

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/supplements-reviews/glutamine.htm

--------------
Damselfly

Whoever said that sunshine brings happiness never danced in the rain. \\"unknown\\"
delaybass
delaybass
United States
2004/07/07, 12:12 PM
would it be best to take it seperate or together with an entire group of amino acids?
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/07/07, 02:51 PM
I take it with other amino scids, just due to the fact its non essentail, in the sense. If your body doesn't have it, it can use other aminos in a group to make it.I take the kinda that has glutiman in it as wel as 30 or 40 other kinds, mstly essentials. I don't like wasting my money on one amino, like I said before muscle is built with all aminos not just glutiman.

--------------

delaybass
delaybass
United States
2004/07/08, 12:05 AM
that makes alot of sense bigandrew, care to make any product suggestions?