Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Wrist joint pain from using mouse?

firediablosg
firediablosg
Singapore
2004/06/04, 08:42 PM
Anybody got this problem?

My other hand is ok but the hand that i use to hold the mouse is not.

The pain don't come anyhow only when i try to do pushups (with the palm to the floor) that is when i bend my wrist then will the pain come.

No big deal except i can't do any more pushups.
DanielJLove
DanielJLove
United States
2004/06/09, 12:45 PM
I don't know a cure for you wrist, but you can always do your pushups on your fists. Make a tight fist and place the first two knuckles into the floor. This will hurt at first, but with time you will have a stronger fist and still be able to do push ups without the pain in your wrists.

Daniel
livers20
livers20
United States
2004/06/09, 02:26 PM
Do you use a computer all day at work? You may have some sort of carpel tunnel (not sure of spelling) in that wrist. Next time you are at your doctor's you may want to ask about it.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2004/06/09, 08:14 PM
What you need is a support for your wrist that sits on the desk in front of your mouse. Usually made from a jelly like substance and about 3" high.

--------------
"A will finds a way, failure is not an option"
Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
Pritchard
Pritchard
United Kingdom
2004/06/23, 10:05 AM
i love those things, you get them for the keyboard too, oh good lord im sad.

--------------
A freetrainer is a happy trainer!

A.D.F.
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2004/06/23, 10:06 AM
Why are you sad?

--------------
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
Pritchard
Pritchard
United Kingdom
2004/06/23, 10:41 AM
im sad(as in loser) because i perked up when i heard about the gel filled wrist rest.

--------------
A freetrainer is a happy trainer!

A.D.F.
the_cupcake
the_cupcake
Philippines
2004/06/25, 05:20 PM
LOL! Hey i use those too, even for the keyboard. I've a deskjob and yes, only my right wrist hurts. I try bracing it with boxing tape and such when I do any dumbbell work in the gym because it hurts when i twist it. try to have the mouse levelled down to your armrest or the keyboard. It's a lot more strain when you reach upwards to the table, kinda puts the arm and your wrist in an unnatural position.

--------------
The best victories are won not by adversity and brute force. Learn the enemy and overcome it.
-cupcake-
jonathanweaver
jonathanweaver
United States
2004/07/12, 02:38 PM
You guys need to find a good chiropractor that specializes in extremities. I have a good one in Kansas City if you happen to be nearby. (cupcake - if you visit the States, you have to visit the state that is scientifically proven to be flatter than a pancake.)

If not a Chiropractor, then at least a Physical Therapist. Do NOT go through the carpal tunnel surgery though!

The knuckle pushups are how I got around the pain. Now, I don't have any pain, thanks to my chiropractor.

--------------
I will never grow up, just old.

Jonathan
migo
migo
Canada
2004/08/31, 08:14 AM
Interesting idea about the chiro. I've got the same problem, except the pain comes at random intervals. I usually wear a wrist wrap glove when that happens. Speaking of which, anyone know of any gloves like that without the knuckle padding so I could wear them in public?
Pritchard
Pritchard
United Kingdom
2004/09/02, 12:58 PM
maybe just a tubigrip support bandage??

--------------
guns dont kill people, rappers do
call the police, woo woo woo.

stay dumb, you know it makes no sense.

This site is best viewed on a monitor connected to a computer.

A.D.F.
migo
migo
Canada
2004/09/02, 06:56 PM
Not sure what that is, got a link?
Pritchard
Pritchard
United Kingdom
2004/09/03, 08:20 AM
its like a bandage, but it goes all the way round and is really elastic, its like a tube of elasticated bandage. i just went and found the box, and i couldnt find a website and i think the company is english, but if youre in another country there must be an alternative, like a surgical support bandage.

--------------

A.D.F.
Woodie
Woodie
United States
2004/09/03, 11:37 AM
I have the same kind of pain and when I'm on the floor with my twins giving them horsie rides I have to use my knuckles. If I bend my wrist it hurts to much. Also when I work out with dumb bells I get pain from trying to keep my wrist inline with my forearm. Is the bandage that you are refiring to about 1 to 2 inches wide and attached with velcro?

--------------
I will get to it as soon as I am done lifting.
Pritchard
Pritchard
United Kingdom
2004/09/04, 09:57 AM
no, you get them all different sizes, its virtually like a long straight sock, but with no end, and its tighter and gives more support than a sock:laugh:

--------------

A.D.F.
billygoodnick
billygoodnick
United States
2006/06/13, 11:06 PM
One key element everyone is missing is stretching. There are a few basic forearm stretches that are a "must" for computer users. Stretch one arm out in front of you, palm down. Aim your fingers to the floor and gently grab around your knuckles with the other hand. Then pull your hand gently toward you and hold it for about 20 seconds. That elongates the forearm muscles. Then flip your hand palm up, grab across all the fingers where they meet the palm and do the same stretch, pulling your hand toward you.

I set a small timer at my desk and do this every 20 minutes on both sides. Helps a lot, and after 3 cortisone shots in my left wrist, it's kept me from having surgery (and I'm also a drummer, so that would suck big time). Good luck. Also do it at home after using a heating pad. If you really want the full treatment, do about 5 "reps" in each direction and on each arm...then ice it.

--------------
Conceive it, believe it, achieve it.
Yxven
Yxven
United States
2006/06/14, 03:24 PM
The problem with those wrist supports is that people think you're supposed to keep your wrist on them. You're not. That's bad for your wrist. You're just supposed to use them when you're not using your mouse.

I've had problems with tendinitis in my wrist for years. I've gone to 3 doctors. All have said, "Wear this brace for 2 weeks, and don't use it. What? That didn't work? Try 3 months this time."

The only thing that's really helped me is a mouse like this:
http://www.fingersystem.com/what/ipenMouse_concept.asp

It makes the movement more like writing.