Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

Hey, over 40's!

Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/06/03, 06:38 PM
Just thought I'd shake ya up and ask what you are all doing to stay young?! Personally, I haven't found the Fountain of Youth, so I am working on getting the toxins out of my body by trying to eat better and drink more water...oh, and running to the bathroom can be considered exercise, can't it? All that water just doesn't stay long, almost gave me enough reason to get back drinking pop!

Really, though, the 40's hit me H A R D. I am trying to deal with it, but it can be frustrating until I see one of you looking great!

What do you suggest as a good "mind" exercise? I think that is what I need, too. I need to learn to relax my inner me, I worry way too much and feel that is deterimental to my well being at times.

Also, getting out of bed has been getting harder, I mean my feet hurt, my back hurts, my legs hurt...is that age or all this weight I'm carrying around? Be honest now, I promise I won't throw anything at you *holding a 5 lb weight with a daring spirit*.

Thanks!

--------------
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
SMILES FOR MILES
2004/06/03, 06:55 PM
You're gonna love 50:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

The best thing you can do to stay young is to stick with what you're doing now. Just keep it up ....for ever.Don't quit...ever.

--------------
Foolish consistancies are the hobgoblins of small minds.

Charlie
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2004/06/03, 10:42 PM
Have to agree with Charlie...never felt better until I really started to live for life!

--------------
"A will finds a way, failure is not an option"
Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/06/03, 11:35 PM
That is great advice, guys. What I am learning is for 20 years I have lived for others, which I don't regret, I love my family very much and have been a good mom and wife, but I really need to put my foot down and take some me time if I'm gonna be around for them for years to come! Watch out, life, here I come!!

--------------
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
SMILES FOR MILES
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2004/06/04, 06:27 AM
At the ripe old age of 38 I chucked everything and started to college full-time. I'm having a blast! I love being around the kids, they are so smart and so stupid that it makes me really happy to be 41 and me. This site keeps me going in the fitness and diet area. My day always starts with 2 Aleve because I'm just so freakin old that my body always hurts somewhere, but what the hell. I look fabulous for any age and I feel good about myself for the first time in my life.

--------------
Anni

Hard work must have killed somebody
neiltilley
neiltilley
United Kingdom
2004/06/04, 09:38 AM
forget diets and consider yourself on a health promoting lifestyle change. Make rules and write them down. Like 5 fruits/veg everyday and always start with breakfast followed by a 10 minute run... Make a realistic goal like to lose 5 pounds in 3 weeks. Eat slightly smaller food portions or buy a 7'' plate.So you are set up for food and exercise- now worry time needs some action. Take an hour each evening to write down what is bugging you... then deal with those that you can finish up there and then. Reread your list after and see if any thing else isn't important anymore and cross it off. Put the paper in a draw and visualise putting it to bed(so to speak)- worry done and over until tomorrow same time and place!
Woodie
Woodie
United States
2004/06/04, 10:20 AM

I try and tell my wife the same thing about her.
"but I really need to put my foot down and take some me time if I'm gonna be around for them for years to come"
Wish you the best.

Rememeber there is nothing wrong with taking time for your self, As long as dinner is on time.

--------------
Woodie.
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/06/04, 11:30 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:, Woodie, you sound like my husband!!!! Well, I have news for him, his dinners are gonna be a lot healthier!

Thanks Neiltilley, I inadvertantly call my new lifestyle "diet" but I mean my "diet" as in healthy eating, I agree with you, chucking the diet word is the first thing I've done. I have never believed in "dieting" and have always known healthy eating is the way to go, though I obviously haven't practiced what I preach! LOL!

That is great, Anni313, I know what you mean about the kids and you are right as I have them running in and out with my kids, they are so refreshing and yet I have to laugh at their youth sometimes, too! I am happy to be more sure of who I am, I just wish that person could wake up a bit less sore!!

--------------
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
SMILES FOR MILES
rickyshot
rickyshot
United States
2004/06/09, 02:43 PM
I am turning 50 next week and raised 3 kids alone. At 46 I reinvented myselft. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I had a hysterectomy at 42 which added 10 menopausal lbs to my frame which was already 15 lbs overweight. Surgical menopause, hypothyroid and neurological disorders a crummy recepie for losing weight. So at 46 I lost 25 lbs with weight watchers and healthy eating and went to the gym. I went back to school too. I started taking care of me and stopped being everything to my kids. I did not throw them by the wayside but I got more balanced. The pic of me is one year old. I look the same. I feel better now at 50 than when I was 35 I swear. My cholesterol went down and I have a lot of energy. Oh yeah we are aging, there is no turning back the clock but it does not have to be a negative thing. Aging is a genetic thing but lifestyle comes in a close second. To be utterly truthful some of your woes is related directly to weight. Joints hurting, knees hurting is a weight thing a lot of the time. You are on the right track. Eat healthy, forget diets, Exercise one of the biggest things to staying "young". It does great things from the inside out to your body and even mind. Did you know that exercise releases the same chemicals in your brain as taking a nerve pill. And natural too. You know what I am saying is true so continue on your path. For worry I suggest getting out your Bible and looking up Matthew when Jesus is preaching about worry. In essence He says if God watches over the birds and they don't even think about where they are getting their food how much more will He care for us. Worry is futile. A better way of looking at life is to play the hand you got. You have no choice you are stuck with the circumstances until it changes. So play it well and wait for the next hand. Life is always changing, I think that you being in your forties has started to realize that.
dwboatner
dwboatner
United States
2004/06/13, 06:13 PM
I am 55 and have been a gym rat most of my life. I had rotor cuff problems last year, and have just been unmotivated to get back into the gym. Any useful ideas. DW
2004/06/13, 06:16 PM
Had the surgery in June last year. You just have to grit your teeth and do it.

--------------

Charlie
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2004/06/13, 06:50 PM
I had rotator cuff surgery about 11 years ago. Go to the gym, I think you are going to be very pleased and surprised at how good it feels to really use that shoulder.

--------------
Anni

Hard work must have killed somebody
2004/06/14, 12:57 PM
There are exercises to strengthen the cuff. Do a search here on rotator cuff. I can't remember the posts but several are described. If nothing else exercise to avoid the surgery. The recovery was long and painful.

--------------

Charlie