Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

squat injury

neiltilley
neiltilley
United Kingdom
2004/05/25, 07:58 AM
my a#$e has been sore for weeks and situps no good to my pain threshhold. So physio was the way to go. Yesterday for my assessment I was told the injury(muscle tear whilst squatting) stems from an overdeveloped abs region(upside of the internal core stability region and small of my back. So my stomach does the lift of the squat because it can- when my weight moves to the correct position, my back takes over.. or rather doesn't as it hasn't been getting the training it should have- ie poor position and style when squatting, over indulgence on the abs curl machine and lastly poor posture and stance due to age and the spine gets a curve- well I stand badly hip wise with a flat bottom and pouted out groin with no back arch in the small(age related)- so now it's being corrected...

But just to say to the rest of you for the interest- watch your style, you've only got one back.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/05/25, 08:02 AM
neil - I hope you feel better soon!

This is why people need to focus on lower back strength as much as they do on abdominal strength. Everyone thinks about their sixpack, but rarely thinks about their lumbar spine and the muscles surrounding it.

It is pretty easy to work low back - back extensions, supermans, good mornings, stiff-legged deadlifts, pilates, abdominal exercises in which you lower your legs are actually working the low back 9though you must have some strength first to even do them without risking injury).

ICE IT!

--------------
If you fall down seven times, get up eight.
neiltilley
neiltilley
United Kingdom
2004/05/25, 09:46 AM
i'm fine, more so now i know what the damage is and is easily resolved. wish i'd looked to physio earlier The squats was a natural progression, but little thought on my part for ensuring core stability and general posture- I wont have delayed my progress unduly...
My sixpack is their.. just that it's under about 11 to 12 kilos of fat(i'm 78k now- hoorah).
SO EVERBODY BE MORE CAREFUL THAN ME- BE STRICT ON STYLE.