Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 21, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

Fueling Body

triciakent
triciakent
United States
2004/05/20, 10:22 AM
Most of you know from my journal and postings that I am training for competition and am on a strict strict diet. I get 1600 - 1700 calories a day, do cardio 2x a day, total of 55 minutes 5 days a week. I don't think I am planning my meals correctly because by mid afternoon I am so so so tired and hungry.. and yesterday I messed up my diet. Mind you, my diet is already pre-planned, and I won't alter the diet part of it, this is a nutritional plan from my trainer Kim.

My favorite snack w/ the most calories is the two tbsp of peanut butter w/ 2 rice cakes and one and a half scoops of whey protein (about 400 - 450 calories). I usually have this at 10:00 AM because 1. it is my favorite and 2. because I'm starving. I have already eaten breakfast, ate at 7:20 (did 30 minutes cardio at 5:30 am). Then at noon I eat lunch (and everything is proportioned w/ the protein, fats, carbs..), go to gym at 1:00, get back by 2:30, eat my second snack by 4:00 PM usually my two pieces of fruit (164 calories). And by the time I get home by 6 - 6:15 I am so hungry, so I munch on a rice cake, make dinner, eat dinner then have my cup of yogurt for snack. Between 3:00 - 6:00 I lose ALL energy, am tired, cranky etc... and by the time I get home, if I don't cook dinner right away, I risk cheating...

When should I have my snacks? And which one shoudl I have at what time?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/05/20, 11:39 AM
Rice cakes burn off pretty fast. Can you switch to some oats and vegetables? Oats would hold you longer, brown rice would hold you longer.
You should be eating every 3 hours, so it is normal that you are starving at 10 am.

You should have some protein with your fruit in the afternoon, and you would be better off switching out some fruit for vegetables - again, longer sustained energy and more fiber.

Good luck!
triciakent
triciakent
United States
2004/05/20, 11:49 AM
I could do oatmeal w/ peanut butter in it for a snack. My lunch I get a pretty substantial amount of carbs, I can eat a cup of rice if I want too. I did try having my protein shake w/ my banana today instead of doing the rice cakes, peanut butter and protein shake. Kim wanted me to have two pieces of fruit a day, totalling 160 calories to sustain any sugar cravings. And I've been doing veggies at lunch and dinner.

So today I changed from having my rice cakes/pb/protein shake for my 10 am snack to having the banana w/ the protein shake. Then after my lunch and workout will have one rice cake w/ pb, then before I leave work will have yogurt.. then tonight dinner. Then for snack the other rice cake w/ pm and a small apple.

I think I was consuming most of my calories from 7:30 am - 12:00 PM and then barely anything after that... sound right?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/05/20, 11:53 AM
Space your calories out, less fruit and fast carbs after noon, but veggies are good - they help fill you up and take more calories to digest.

I would think apples would be a better choice for fruits if you are dieting, berries would be okay, too.

Cottage cheese makes a really good snack.

--------------
If you fall down seven times, get up eight.
triciakent
triciakent
United States
2004/05/20, 12:45 PM
Yeah, thats what I'm going to have to do. I actually eat cottage cheese everymorning for breakfast, yummy!! But spacing out the calories, going to try, or else I know I will blow the diet agian.