Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

squatting question

nategi
nategi
United States
2004/05/16, 07:43 PM
whenever i am squatting a lot of weight my knees allows go in i know they arent supposed to but i cant help it. I think it might be because i have weak ankles. but im not sure any help would be appreciated
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2004/05/17, 10:07 AM
Sounds like you're letting the connective tissue at the knees bear the brunt of the weight that you're trying to lift - not good. Back off the pounds, focus on form, and do not go up in weight until you can squat correctly. Otherwise, you will end up blowing something.

--------------
Michael

Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!
Chaos, Panic, Disorder.... Yes, my work here is done!

rev8ball@freetrainers.com
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/05/17, 08:06 PM
Might be hip flexability.......if yoru hips can't spread out far enought for a good base they might drift in......try different squat stances. See what works best for you. But like rev said, back off the weight tell you have good form......concentrate.

--------------
.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!
......minds are not vessles to be filled, but fires to be enlightened
......Confucious once said ,DO NOT play leap frog with a unicorn

nategi
nategi
United States
2004/05/22, 01:24 PM
is there any way to stretch out your hips?
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/05/22, 05:59 PM
sit on your butt.........and put your feet together( called a butterfly)and lean forward, and side to side.......that will help a lil....i've seen other ways but it takes a buddy to do it, and i don't think you liek that lol.

--------------
.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!
......minds are not vessles to be filled, but fires to be enlightened
......Confucious once said ,DO NOT play leap frog with a unicorn

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2004/05/22, 08:12 PM
andrew may be right, i used to have the same problem, and it went away now that i am much more flexible. That, and thousands of low weight repetitions with perfect form.

--------------
\"I get up in the morning around six to run for about an hour. Later in the day, I lift with a partner. Following my lifting sessions, I usually do speed and agility drills. Later, I drill all my holds and moves.\"
\'Isnt that lifestyle boring?\'
\"Yes, but the gold medal is very shiny.\"
Ichiguchi
Olympic Gold Medalist
Sidume
Sidume
United States
2004/07/09, 01:50 PM
As a point of clarification to Andrew's post, when he says "put your feet together," he means that the bottoms of your feet should be touching each other. Ankle to ankle doesn't do it. Though I think the butterfly is more of a groin stretch than hips.

A good hip stretch is this: From lieing down on your back, arms outstretched 90degrees (for balance), take one leg and bend at the knee. Keeping both hands on the ground, turn the bent knee, lifting over the opposite leg as far as possible towards the floor. Try to keep you shoulders on the ground and stech with your hips instead of your shoulders. Hold there for 20-30 seconds. Repeat.

Then do the same for the opposite leg. Enjoy!
nellyboy
nellyboy
United States
2004/07/09, 06:30 PM
There are a few factors to consider here. Lateral migration of the knees during the lowering phase of a squat is a very common occurance and is very easy to fix as long as you're willing to take a hit to the ego. The culprit could be lack of flexibility as the other posts suggest, but more likely it's weakness in your hip flexors (muscles that bring your thigh closer to your stomach) and adductors (muscles that bring your leg into your body). Try this the next time you squat: stretch your calves (both gastroc and soleus), then your hammys, glutes and then the hips. Once you're fully stretched, grab a ball of any kind (medicine ball, volley ball, basketball, etc.) and place it in between your knees. Start off with no weight at all so you can work on form, squeeze the ball with your knees and perform your squat. If you include this in your normal routine, it should alleviate the problem in no time. Any questions let me know.