Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Hip Abduction causes hip to hurt badly

BimmerDan
BimmerDan
United States
2004/04/03, 07:24 PM
When I work out I will do the hip abduction on occasion and every time I do it results on a sharp pain in my right hip joint area. After a few reps it becomes unbearable and I have to stop and stand up (goes away). I have had this problem for many years when I do anything to work my hip (especially roll and drops in football) Is there any reason why this would occur?
Thank You

--------------
Dan Younes
German car nut
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/04/04, 09:16 AM
It sounds like a muscle spasm. Do you stretch your hips?

--------------
If you fall down seven times, get up eight.
BimmerDan
BimmerDan
United States
2004/04/04, 09:30 AM
I strech them lightly and figured the 2 miles on the tredmill would also help strech them out. The strange thing is it's not a spasm pain that I normally get this is an extremley sharp pain right in the hip socket area.
Thank you for your reply

--------------
Dan Younes
German car nut
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/04/04, 12:52 PM
it is probably a deep hip rotator. You can stretch it standing or lying down , knees bent, feet flat on floor, by crossing your ankle over the opposite knee (like you would for oblique crunches), then use the underneath leg to push your upper leg towards you, you should feel a really good stretch in your oputer hip area.

Standing you cross one ankle over the opposite knee and sit back, like you are going to sit in a chair.

Figure when you are running you really aren't abducting at the hip, so they are not getting stretched, but they are working to keep your hip in place so that your leg doesn't rotate too far outward or inward as you run, so they may be getting a little fatigued.

I know the pain you are desribing - almost like something is getting picnhed inside the joint?

--------------
If you fall down seven times, get up eight.
gsdkain
gsdkain
Australia
2004/04/23, 06:44 AM
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is possible for hips(or legs) to become slightly malalligned with your pelvis, maybe see a sports therapist or Physio to check and reallign if necessary.