Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

Compulsive Eater!!!

shene107
shene107
United States
2004/03/19, 01:07 PM
I have a serious problem with overeating! All my life my parents would always shove junk in my face, and make me think that it was ok. It was like a source of happiness. I could eat 12 swiss cake rolls, a quart of milk with no problem! Then i started depending on it for no reason. Overtime i time i gained over 50lbs! Recently my first semester in college i realized i had a problem, and i lost 40 pounds. Diabetes, heart disease, and cancer runs in my family i had to stop it before it got any worse. now i'm done to my last 10lbs to lose., and my overeating habits are coming back, my dedication is slipping i need help, before i end up back where i started!
Kyrah
Kyrah
United States
2004/03/19, 01:10 PM
when is it that you are having problems? at home? at school? doing a certain activity? what are your triggers? ID those and you should be able to avoid/counteract them. i.e. if you snack at work out of a vending machine try not keeping any cash on you, or if you tend to snack before bed try having a cup of tea instead. Hope this helps!

--------------
Love me as I am . . .
Let me worry about how I look!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/03/19, 11:28 PM
What type of foods are you eating? You MUST stay away from foods high in sugar and starch. They cause a rapid rise in blood glucose. The body then secretes high levels of insulin, that in turn cause blood glucose to drop below normal. This low glucose brings a feeling of hunger and weakness that is normally satisfied with something quick, usually something sweet. (Insulin resistance will soon happen, and thus type 2 diabetes becomes a player). And the result is you consume more calories because you are nearly always hungry no matter how much you eat. It is a vicious cycle. So this is the first step, your dedication should have no reason to slip, just take a look at your own post....diabetes, heart disease and cancer runs in your family! That alone should be reason to be even more diligent. Best of luck to you...:love::love::love:

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
shene107
shene107
United States
2004/03/20, 12:09 PM
Its like if i eat anything whether its healthy or not i'll over eat. Its like if i ate a sandwich, and if its really good i'd eat like 2 more! i need to put limits on myself. This is the reason y my weightloss has been going up and down. Recently i started the whole eating 5-6 small meals a day, and i do find that it does help. recently for Lent, i gave up sweets,pops, and any other junk. i am trying to look at my body as a temple now. i just need a nudge every once in a while to stay on my plan.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2004/03/25, 02:06 AM
You need to write down everything you eat, prepare all your meals in advance and then just try to stick to it (a little easier when you know that you have been working on planning it all! :) ).
Also try to keep a bottle of water near you and as soon as you have finish eating your expected meal then fill up your stomach with water.

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
www.nme-pro.com
neiltilley
neiltilley
United Kingdom
2004/03/25, 07:28 AM
Same as you I know I eat for the sake of it. I know there is a psycological reason but havent pinned it down, but I'm most comfortable when I'm eating, possibly feeling safe!
Try a psychologist or hypnotist or mentor of any sort like life coaches.. Yes and I totally agree with Philia2 about water. Fill up with fairly empty foods to helpfill you up.
water, celery,tomato,brocoli,cauliflower, more water.. Get a smaller plate still and make it 8 small meals.. Write a note, put the slip of paper in your pocket daily for a week-
''I can't eat big dinners'' then ''i love raw brocoli''

it's slowly working for me and you have the will power to succeed. You know you can succeed because you have lost weight already- You can and you will. good luck
shene107
shene107
United States
2004/03/29, 11:07 AM
thanks for the good info guys!:big_smile:
pinkbug
pinkbug
United States
2004/04/05, 11:39 PM
I am also a huge compulsive overeater. I would say that approximately 90% of all the times that I eat, I am not hungry at all. Thank you all for the tips and information I read in your replies to shene107. I have gone to and from 165-275 lbs over the past 4 years. I need all the help I can get. So please give me any additional tips and information that you can think of. I need something to "click" for me so that I can get on the right track again.
csferrie
csferrie
Canada
2004/04/06, 12:56 PM
When I lived at home I use to eat all the time. If it was there, I ate it. Plus, I was always in competition with my brother to make sure I got my "fair share" of the snacks.

When I came to school, I had to do all my own grocery shopping. So, I only bought healthy food and enough for one week. Consequently, there was no junk food lying around and if I ate too much I knew I would have to go to the grocery store again sooner, which I don't like to do.
jplatz
jplatz
United States
2004/04/26, 08:50 PM
Shene, you're not alone. I too am a compulsive eater and suffer from overeating as well. It's a real problem for more of us than I think the general public realizes.

I'm currently reading a book about compulsive eating. It has a copywrite of 1988, but it sounds as if it were written this year. So far it's dead on. As I read more, I'm going to include certain excerpts to try and help those of us compulsive eaters better understand how to break this addiction.

--------------
Pain is but a threshold to greater strength.