Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

can't drink enough water..

efrost
efrost
United States
2004/03/11, 11:01 AM
ok, so how important is drinking water anyway?
I'm 5'8 and 152 pounds, and I'm supposed to drink almost a gallon a water a day.. it feels like I'll float away! Normally, I'm lucky if I drink 44 oz of any fluid a day..
also, does diet soda's count? it's mostly water and has no calories..
ssminnow
ssminnow
United States
2004/03/11, 11:13 AM
you need the water. it is very important. i don't think soda counts.

try drinking water from small cups, multiple times a day. the small cups make it easier to drink (mentally anyway). I have 7 0z cups at work next to the water cooler. Everytime i drink one, i mark it down.

--------------
Don\'t sweat what you have no control over... WILL IT MATTER IN A HUNDRED YEARS....
efrost
efrost
United States
2004/03/11, 11:25 AM
yea. I use the 16 oz water bottles, that I just keep refilling.. I need to have about 6-7 of them a day. What does water actually do to help muscle growth? If I didn't have that much water, would I be stunting the growth?
efrost
efrost
United States
2004/03/11, 11:30 AM
The other thing I've noticed is that I don't get as hungry when I'm drinking all the water, but according to my diet (from ft), I need to eat eat eat (which kills my wife who loves to eat, but can't because of her slower metabolism)
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2004/03/11, 11:51 AM
I wonder sometimes if people who have trouble drinking enough water are drinking a lot of other things. How many diet sodas are you drinking in a day? I would say replace all of them with water and have one as a treat once in a while. There are lots of flavored waters out there if you have to have flavor. Or try Crystal Light. Since most of us take vitamins and supplements in the morning and throughout the day try making sure you drink 8-10 oz of water everytime you take a 'pill'. At the gym alone I drink about 66oz. I used to work with a woman who set the alarm on her watch to go off every hour to remind her to go get a glass of water.

--------------
~Victoria~
...Do not be discouraged; everyone who got where he is, started where he was.--anon
...There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.--Beverly Sills
efrost
efrost
United States
2004/03/11, 12:13 PM
Once in a blue moon, I'll have one can of diet soda to satisfy a sweet craving. I just don't have the requirement for water on a daily basis.. sometimes I would have a glass of milk in the morning, a glass of something at lunch and a glass of something at dinner, and that's it.. I just don't get thirsty, so to jump to a gallon a day is killing me... (let alone making me run to the bathroom all the time..)
I take a multivitamin in the morning with a glass of milk, and no more pills during the day.
Pizimp
Pizimp
United States
2004/03/11, 11:18 PM
My question is why drink so much water? I mean what does the water really do for my body and my muscles?
Jdelts
Jdelts
United States
2004/03/11, 11:50 PM
BB1!!! I can answer this but please get in here and drop some knowledge on our friends about the MEGA importance of water and that it takes sacrificing drinking "something" else. FYI-your muscles are 70% water.

--------------
I can beat Mario Brothers without losing a life.

Jdelts@freetrainers.com
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/03/12, 12:58 PM
hey - look up my post a twelve week plan to motivate you. Week two the focus is water and I included the reasons you need so much of it!

--------------
"To be able to go to the gym and train hard is a joy and a privelege, even though the hard work necessitates driving yourself through considerable discomfort. Savor this privelege and blessing, and revel in it."
Stuart McRobert, Beyond Brawn
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/03/12, 01:00 PM
Here is the info on water from my other post.

2) Drink your bodyweight (in ounces) in water daily.

Some interesting facts on dehydration and how it affects you:

Water accounts for 50-70% of your bodyweight! Nearly all the chemical reactions that occur in your body directly involve water and reactions are disrupted by changes in water balance. Water is important for facilitating communication between your nerves and muscles. Water is the principal mechanism for heat removal during temperature elevations in your body. Water is also the shock absorber and lubricator of many body compartments and joints.

People often do not perceive thirst until a water deficit of about 2% body weight has occurred. Physical work capacity decreases have been seen with 1-2% water deficits, the more pronounced the deficit, the greater the reduction in physical work capacity.

A deficit of as little as 1% bodyweight (in water) elevates the core temperature during exercise. (This may be why you sometimes get so hot while working out, and on other days you don't.)

So - water is important!!! Drink some right now and get focused for the next week!

Tips on how to get all of that water down in a day:

Measure out your ounces at the beginning of the day in a gallon jug - then use that water when you make tea, a shake, and fill your water bottle that you carry with you everywhere (which you do, RIGHT?).

Figure out how many bottles of water you need to get in your daily amount. Put that number of rubber bands around your water bottle, each time you empty the bottle remove a rubber band to your wrist. You now have a visual reminder on your bottle of how much water you need to drink, and a physical reminder on your wrist (Easier and more practical than a string on your finger, eh?).

Mix up some crystal light - it comes in many flavors and some even have calcium, an added benefit.

Add lemon or lime for flavor, or even mint. Cold mint tea is great, as are many of the citrus teas. Chai tea is really good cold, too. Make tea the night before and bottle it and chill it, then take it to work with you for a refreshing switch from water. sweeten with splenda, or some type of sugar-free sweetener if desired.

--------------
"To be able to go to the gym and train hard is a joy and a privelege, even though the hard work necessitates driving yourself through considerable discomfort. Savor this privelege and blessing, and revel in it."
Stuart McRobert, Beyond Brawn
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2004/03/12, 02:00 PM
Water affects a lot of things going on in your body. I don't know the science of it but I know when I havent had enough, my BP drops, I get headaches, light headed, dry mouth just to name a few. My hubby is in healthcare and he can tell if I've had enough water just be looking at my veins. I think that is so cool.

--------------
~Victoria~
...Do not be discouraged; everyone who got where he is, started where he was.--anon
agamble
agamble
United States
2004/03/12, 09:37 PM
Your bodyweight in ounces? 170 lbs=170 ounces If so I've been short. I thought I was doing good.
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2004/03/15, 12:56 PM
It's like the protein, some say .5 oz per lb of bodyweight, but I think as active as most of us are we would be better aiming for the 1 oz rule.

--------------
~Victoria~
Emeliz
Emeliz
United States
2007/02/12, 05:27 PM
Hello. =) I've tried the rubber band on the bottle trick and it worked for awhile but then I got tired of the water again... I tried putting lime in my water and that worked for a long time but then that lost my interest also! I've tried the small cups of water and that didn't last long... how can I get more motivated to drink!? I know how important it is for my body and I've been told many timesby doctors that I have a dehydration problem because I don't drink enough and I try and try but i just can't seem to stick with it. Just like eating... if I'm with people I remember to eat because I need to cook for them or they say their hungry and it reminds me, but when it's just me during the day I completely forget to eat and it's hurting my health, water is the same way. If I'm not thirsty I forget to drink! What can I do to make this easier? please help, Thanks!
~Em~

--------------
Motivation\'s not a fantasy,
or very hard to find...
Looking to others is the key,
And giving back is kind.
So motivate another,
when they fail or start to lack...
And when they hit their goal,
They just may motivate you back! ;)