Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Hip acting up again

Julisa
Julisa
United States
2004/02/25, 08:31 AM
Since my accident, I have bouts here and there with the pain in my hip...usually right around the time I change my workout/increase my weight, etc.

The past few days it is huting for no reason in particular,(haven't changed or increased recently) it has just started burning and aching.

Doc says that I am probably overdoing it. I'm on the fence with that one. I think I want to try some new stretching exercises before I back off of my program. Any suggestions for deep hip stretches?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/02/25, 01:54 PM
Do you do the number four stretch already? You can do it on your back, standing or sitting against the wall, to varying intensities. You cross one ankle over the other leg above the knee pull the supporting leg (the one your ankle is resting on) towards you. Standing it is kind of like doing a chair pose, but with the ankle crossed over the opposite knee, hold onto something for a little support and sit back to your comfort level. Against the wall, you will sit with your back against the wall, cross you ankle over the opposite leg above the knee and drag the other heel towards you, this one can get pretty deep.

You could also try to release you hip rotators by rolling your hip area on a tennis ball on the floor, or on a foam roller. f you have access o a trainer, ask the to show you how to stretch your iliotibial band on a foam roller. These will hurt, but should help.
Getting someone to manually stretch your hips may help, also, but that is pretty hard to describe.
good luck!

--------------
"To be able to go to the gym and train hard is a joy and a privelege, even though the hard work necessitates driving yourself through considerable discomfort. Savor this privelege and blessing, and revel in it."
Stuart McRobert, Beyond Brawn
Julisa
Julisa
United States
2004/02/26, 07:00 AM
Yes, I have done one similar, but I have never tried it exactly that way and I have never tried the other you are describing, so I will get right on it...thanks asimmer!!