Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

question.........

IPimpology76
IPimpology76
United States
2004/02/14, 12:37 PM
this guy from the army came and talked to us yesterday, who was a world champion power lifter, and before i walked in i was expecting one of those monsters you see on Worlds Strongest Man... but when i saw him he wasnt as big as i expected. He began to tell us all about powerlifting, and ask for questions at the end and i asked him what would be a good workout to get STRONGER but not BIGGER since I'm like 5'8 and my chest and arms are too big for my body as it is, but i still want to get stronger and a little more cut than i am now (thats probably just loosing some body fat) and he suggested i started to powerlift becuase that will get me stronger, but it wont build anymore muscle mass...is this true?
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/02/14, 04:41 PM
If you get stronger, somthings gonna get bigger at least a lil bit. Now powerlifters do train for " power" not for bodybuilding. Body building is more like skulpting your body using high reps to get as big and cut as possible. Powerlifters one the other hand rely on power and good form. Power lifters usually don't have to be big just lots of fast twitch muscle fibers that are very dense. If your wanting to get a lil more cut though your gonna have to do a lil both. Body build to help in fat loss and "cut up" and powerlifting to gain strength. If you don't loose a lil bit of fat you will look like a worlds strongest man guys, you have lots of muscle under fat, which will make you look bigger. In my opinion you need to do both, both have advantages and disadvantages so do both and mix it up and get the best of both worlds! hope this helps out a lil bit

--------------
---andrew.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!

LEAVE YOUR EGO AT THE DOOR!!
mmaibohm
mmaibohm
United States
2004/02/16, 04:49 AM
bump on thay one andrew.

--------------
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it is gone past me I will turn to see fear's path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/02/16, 03:04 PM
bump?

--------------
---andrew.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!

LEAVE YOUR EGO AT THE DOOR!!
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2004/02/16, 03:13 PM
Also in my experience your eally have to find what works best for you.. while I have followed the traditional bodybuilding approach and got good size muscle groups, it was nothing compared to when i went a little heavier and added weight and lowered my reps ie a powerlifting style. I lost bodyfat and gaines muscle. But that is what works for me. Train for your body what it says and feels not what some magazine or person tells you to do...Bigandrew is right in that powerlifters can get stronger with out a lot of size...but find out what works for you.

--------------
LIFT HEAVY! BECOME STRONG, LIKE BULL!
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/02/17, 10:14 AM
You can train like a power lifter and be cut as long as you eat properly. You won't have a sick low body fat% but you can still be "cut up." Chuck from Westside barbell squats 1025 and weighs in at 225. He squats more now at 225 then when he weighed 244. Why? His nervous system is more efficiently recruiting fast twitch muscle fiber he already has instead of laying new tissue down. Powerlifting is more about being efficient then about being big. Most sports are about being efficient rather than big.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2004/02/17, 11:43 AM
Quality vs quanity...

--------------
Michael

Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!
Chaos, Panic, Disorder.... Yes, my work here is done!