Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

shaving vs. waxing vs. electrolysis

heartledfall
heartledfall
United States
2004/01/15, 01:25 AM
Any opinions on which is best? Does anybody wax regularly? If so, how much does it hurt? Same questions for electrolysis...thanks!
Courtney
aboozer
aboozer
United States
2004/01/15, 07:33 AM
Hi Courtney. I wax once a week on a regular basis and i dont feel a thing because i have been doing it so long.There is a difference though. Shaving only cuts off a little of the hair below the skin and as you know only lase a few days until things get itchy. Waxing is more effective because it pulls the hairs out by their roots and generaly lasts for about 2-3 weeks. Eventually it growns in finer because it shocks the root area and tricks it a little. (some people the thickness of the hair stays the same but over a number of years you should see a difference i the thickness) Electrolysis doesnt always work for everyone.Plus its expensive. I have had it done and it didnt work for me and its annoying to have done and depending on the location its painful. For a cleaner look i would go with waxing. It tends to get the annoying blonde hairs that u miss shaving. Whatever you plan to wax let it grow in for a couple of weeks and it will make it easier. The first time is always the most painful but if you can handle a bandaid ripping off you can handle waxing. !!!!!!!!if you use retin a or take accutain or any prescribed acne medication dont wax because it can really irritate the area!!!!!! Good luck give it a try you will love the results
Taurie
Taurie
United States
2004/01/15, 05:16 PM
Also, if you decide to get waxed don't do it when you are close to getting you period or on you period...you're more sensitve during this time and it'll hurt more. Most importantly the more you relax the less it hurts.
heartledfall
heartledfall
United States
2004/01/15, 05:41 PM
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the feedback!
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/01/15, 06:27 PM
Wax right after your period when you are least sensitive. I wax and it has much longer lasting results than shaving. I had electroylsis done and it was expensive, painful and wasn't permanent. Unless I win the lottery, I cannot do it again!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2004/01/16, 03:03 AM
I did electrolysis once as well. I did have (and still have) good results but it's very expensive and quite painful.
I go for the waxing today. No shaving.

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
laneylou
laneylou
United States
2004/01/16, 01:21 PM
Wax wax wax! Shaving every day sucks! Electrolysis would be rediculous expensive and waxing honestly only ever hurts for a few seconds. Then it's completely gone.

I'll tell you how you can tell how it will feel. Put your hands together and clap them real hard like 2-3 times. That tiny bit of a sting ouchie feeling is what it'll feel like. And the sting will only last as long as the sting lasted from clapping your hands. That should give you an idea. Afterwards the waxed area will feel a little weird like your skin feels a bit dry when you get out of a tanning bed. And make sure they let you look into a mirror with a good light to see that it's really all gone. I've had them miss little strips before and that sucked lol...

And WHATEVER IN A MILLION years you do ... don't ever talk about another hair stylist or waxer. NEVER. NEVER. NEVER! hehehe

Part 1: I went into a wal-mart to get my hair cut 'cause I needed to hurry and it was right there. I waited in line a bit and this girl finally came out and said Laney! She had her nose, eyebrow, ears numerous times, and lip pierced. She had hair sticking straight up and it was I don't know how many different colors of red, pink, blue, purple, etc. I was totally freaked out and said I had waited too long so I'd have to come back another time.

Part 2: I went to another place to get my waxing done. Eyebrows, etc. Went in and the lady started getting me ready. She put some wax on my eyebrows and stuff and I started telling her the story of this weird looking freaky chick that thought she was going to cut MY hair. As she was pulling the wax off of one of my eyebrows she said That happens to be my best friend. I SWEAR she pulled real hard. hahahahahah But I kept my mouth shut. She said she agreed with me though that teenagers might think it's cool to get their hair cut by someone that looks like that but most adults would want someone that looks professional. So anyway. That's my story. Be very careful what you tell the waxing lady! LOL ;)
laneylou
laneylou
United States
2004/01/16, 01:25 PM
Do you guys wax yourselves? Or do you go have it done? If you do do it yourself where and what is the best kind of wax to get and how do I do it myself? eheh
Taurie
Taurie
United States
2004/01/16, 01:41 PM
My arms and legs I wax myself...the other I have done.
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/01/16, 07:57 PM
I do everything myself and use Nair microwaveable wax. It takes 15 seconds to heat up and it really helps ease any pain which there really isn't. You know your own threshold of pain that is why I do it myself. I had it done professionally once and it hurt like anything, I was sweating beyond belief becuase I was anticipating the next pain of ripping the wax off.
laneylou
laneylou
United States
2004/01/18, 02:22 PM
Coolness ... can you get that nair wax at wal-mart? Or do you have to get it at a place like Sally's ?
starznight
starznight
United States
2004/01/19, 08:27 AM
The Nair wax can be bought a wallie world (wal-mart) even kmart, publix, winn dixie, they have it every where it seems *) I personally love the stuff and think I would die without it LOL, the micro version is the best I've found so far since it just rolls on, even my husband can't mess it up, but there are a few others like Nad's that's a no-heat form of sugar waxing but it's really messy and a major pain to do yourself. Other major plus to the diy wax... the little strips can be rinsed out and reused many times over and if you get low on them, old cloth napkins torn into strips work great ( had to find that out after my cats thought mommy had given them a really fun new toy )
laneylou
laneylou
United States
2004/01/19, 05:31 PM
OMG Poor cats! hehehe and of course my boyfriend says nothing to that but I HATE CATS! lol ... Moron! ;) Shhhh I didn't say that ... hehe Dang Dog lovers. Speaking of that, I went outside today and was just looking around and looked down by the bushes around the outside of the patios and stuff here ... There are dog prints of some kinda that HAVE GOT to be bigger than my entire hand. And I'm not exaggerating at all ... What in the world kinda dog would that be? And who in the HECK would have it in an apartment anyway? lol
kirby00
kirby00
United States
2004/01/19, 08:50 PM
i get my eyebrows waxed. pain isn't a big deal there. i go to get them done - no way i'm waxing something so *noticeable* myself.

bikini...i've gone to get it done a few times. hurt like a beeee-yotch the first two times. i'm so bad about actually making the appointments (and paying for it - bikini waxing's not cheap) so i've started doing it myself. i figure if i'm getting ready for a beach vaca, i'll go somewhere to make sure it's done well. i use a wax roller + heating device that's just for the roller. got it at a beauty supply store. still hurts & i'm not as good as the professionals, but it's cheaper & i can make my own appointments.

kirby
laneylou
laneylou
United States
2004/01/19, 09:55 PM
All this sounds so painful. hehehe I'm thinking it'd probably be easier to have someone else pull the trigger/tape instead of me. hehe ;) I am the biggest baby when it comes to pain.
starznight
starznight
United States
2004/01/20, 07:26 AM
Really it doesn't hurt that bad, I mean getting paper cut or a cat scratch is soooo much worse... the pain is very minimal if any at all, it's just a few areas are a bit more sensetive to it than others... especially any place where the skin isn't tight. I feel it a bit on my thighs that have are well on the fleshy side than my calves which you can barely pinch the skin on. As for the dog questions... there's lots of them out there and some aren't even that big of dogs... Shetland sheepdogs have pretty big feet for such a little dog, they make prints that are about the size of a german shepard, and two of my cats' can about cover my hand with their paws *) of course they're also about 2.5' in height and 3' in length (excluding tail) but that's still a mighty big paw for a cat LOL... oh and prolly should have mentioned they were washed strips my cats got into I don't wax them LOL *) It's just the strips are easy to shred for them and they had fun papering the bathroom, bedroom, living room and filling the house with white flufflys that didn't want to vacuum up *)

laneylou
laneylou
United States
2004/01/20, 11:16 AM
hahaha ... well that's good. I thought you meant they got into the wax. EEEK!
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/01/20, 11:58 AM
Please do it yourself, it honestly hurts less.
laneylou
laneylou
United States
2004/01/20, 05:54 PM
hahahah we'll see ... I'll check into getting some of that wax and try it out myself. I need to do my lip dangit. I hate those tiny white hairs! hehe

Julisa
Julisa
United States
2004/01/28, 08:24 AM
I have tried it all and prefer to wax only my "upper areas" and shave the bottom. I lack the stamina to endure the pain for all.
heartledfall
heartledfall
United States
2004/01/28, 03:16 PM
I went and bought the Nair wax the other day, though I haven't stomached up the nerve to use it yet. Thanks for all the advice, though, guys! It's helped a ton!
goodoldtex
goodoldtex
United States
2004/01/28, 06:38 PM
Aight...i know what you're thinking: A guy posting about shaving/waxing wtf!? Yes its true.

Here's my experiences and thoughts:

I shave my legs, arms, and chest during the summer. Always. It became a habit of mine after losing a bet and having to shave it off my soph. year in highschool. So yeah i dont mind shaving....its a hassle yeah...but the thought of wax pains me because i think of this little situation:

Some guys got really bored while we were on a church retreat and thought it would be fun to buy some wax strips to be stupid and well....wax a couple of the other guys eyebrows and a small strip on his arms all at once because we knew we would only get one shot...while they were sleeping. So we picked the heaviest sleeper there was and did it to him....he leaped outta his deep sleep and tried to beat the crap out of every single one of us....it was good times...but i still shudder at the sound he made...

I can also attest that the nair works pretty well...we put it on a guys legs while he slept so that it would burn the hair off (this isn't the kinda where you lay down strips and rip).....so yeah thats my .02

--------------
w0rd.

-Eli
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2004/01/29, 07:33 PM
I am one of those crazy girls who uses the epilady which is and I quote from the product info.... " a powerful and speedy hair removal system, with a series of rotating discs operating like tweezers that remove even the shortest, thickest hair by the root. The high velocity of its discs makes hair removal virtually painless."

Painless NOT!! OUCH...but it is worth it. I have gotten used to it now and it is not as painful.

--------------
Leslie
"Life is a succession of moments. To live each one is to succeed."
Julisa
Julisa
United States
2004/01/30, 07:34 AM
HaHa..I tried the epilady too and after about five minutes I was in a sweat and threw it against the wall!! Bet it was developed by a man...probably the same one who invented high heels. :)