Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Creatine or whey protein

stubbz50
stubbz50
United States
2003/12/18, 10:15 PM
Which is better for bigger gains. Is it ok to mix creatine and whey protein together in one drink.
Jdelts
Jdelts
United States
2003/12/19, 02:01 AM
PROTEIN! IT IS ESSENTIAL< YOU NEED IT TO BUILD MUSCLE....CREATINE COMES LATER>

--------------
May the lift be with you.
pimple
pimple
United States
2004/01/17, 11:48 PM
besides, misusing creatine can destroy your liver...
Jdelts
Jdelts
United States
2004/01/17, 11:56 PM
"MISUSING" creatine, maybe, BUT using it safely (which in most part it is safe) can be beneficial.

--------------
May the lift be with you.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/01/18, 09:52 AM
There has not been one reported incident of creatine causing harm to anyone. It is naturally produced by our bodies anyway, show me/us the money! It is not a hormone! How can it be bad? There are hundreds and hundreds of studies that prove its saftey. Creatine is one of the safest supplements around, and probably the most researched supplement in history. You should not expouse things you know nothing about. This is where this kind of silly misinformation gets a foothold.

============
Quoting from pimple:

besides, misusing creatine can destroy your liver...
=============

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....
pimple
pimple
United States
2004/01/18, 01:41 PM
heh... oops... sorry about that... it's just that i had this briliantly smart science professor who used to say that... i guess i just trusted him and that's why i believed creatine to be a potential harm to the kidney... my bad, my bad...
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/01/18, 06:06 PM
as long as u drink plenty of water ur ok...............and just so u knwo the people who did get messed up from taking it where taking 20grams a day and not drinking water.......creatine is a supplement.....somthing tohelp u not to do all the work for u peopel depend too much for quicke and easy gains and won't work for it....................and if u wanan get dirty about it.......coffee, cokes, cigerates, alochole damges more organs than creatine ever does

--------------
---andrew.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!

LEAVE YOUR EGO AT THE DOOR!!
halfpint116
halfpint116
United States
2004/01/18, 09:07 PM
Just exactly is creatine, what does it do, and where can I get it? My problem is I am losing weight and I only weigh 116. I DIDN'T want to lose weight. Will this help me to gain weight or muscle gain? Need some knowledge here.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2004/01/18, 10:48 PM
Nicely said Andrew.

Pimple... is it bad for the liver or the kidneys? Better check your notes.

Halfpint....it is a substance that some bb's use to give volume to thier muscles. It is produced naturaly in our livers, but not enough to help in BB. It retains the fluid in the musclefibres. Usually taken pre and post workout.
It is not a weight gainer by any means.

--------------
"A will finds a way"
Ivan Montreal Canada
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/01/19, 12:13 AM
1/2 pint i never herd of a girl that wanted to take creatine lol.........btu all it does is volimizes ur muscle.......muscle cells have intercellar fluid..maily water in them, creatin helps them hold more water, as wel as help in production of engery.......creatinis used by the body as a form of quick engery bursts( as in weight lifting) so creatin keeps water in muscles( which helps get rid of wastes) as well as help in endurace, some people do gain a lil " water weight" but this is dues only to if u " load".............if u do take it drink at least a gallon a water a day at the least maybe a lil more, always keep water with u and sip on it all day , just cause ur not thrusty don't mean u don't need it, when ur mouth is dry thts ur body telling u then its dehydrated don't get to that point!

--------------

halfpint116
halfpint116
United States
2004/01/19, 08:42 AM
See, you have enlightened me on the subject. Thank you big andrew for your help. I didn't say I would take it, I was just curious what it actually does for you. Then again I might, just kidding. All I want is something to help me build my muscles up while I'm losing weight.
2004/01/19, 10:40 AM
Halfpint, investigate protein supplements and EAT. The eating part is the best way. Eat clean, eat frequently. Supplements such as whey for post workout and others for just added protein will help meet your body's requirements over what you can eat. In our house in addition to post workout whey, we use soy casin and milk supplements.

--------------
Living well is the best revenge.

Charlie
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/01/19, 11:13 AM
it doesn't help " build muscle" prsay it gives ur muscle cells more engery to keep doing more reps, which breaks down more muscle, and gives ur body the chance to reapir more muscle fiber, which in turn gets the muscle " bigger".......its kinda like putting a high ocatne fuel in ur car.........u get beter performance but its the same engine

--------------

pimple
pimple
United States
2004/01/19, 12:02 PM
*checks notes*

Nov. 13, 2000 - heh, we were having a lesson on ATP and that kind of stuff... then the professor told us about creatine and body builders, and how taking too much of it (in false hopes of 'bigger-faster' gains) could cause kidney damage...

yeah, it was kidney, carivan, not liver... i don't know why i said liver in teh first post... maybe i didn't word the post right altogether or something... what our professor said that day was that taking too much creatine could cause kidney failure... that's why i said 'misusing' on my first post...
2004/01/19, 12:29 PM
pimple, maybe you read your notes upside down.

--------------
Living well is the best revenge.

Charlie
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/01/19, 02:01 PM
Our liver combines three amino acids, Arginine, Glycine and Methionine. This forms creatine, it is naturally done in our bodies. 95% is found in our muscles, the remainder in our brain, heart, and other organs.

Our muscle fibers store ATP(naturally). The problem is that there is only enough to fuel contractions for about 3 seconds, and even in the most well trained bodybuilder that supply can only last about 5-6 seconds.

And to make matters worse, as we age, it drops off even more. So, what do we do to compensate for this...enter creatine supplementation. I could go into the ATP thing, but want to keep this short. You understand this anyway.

Now, if this is a substance that is naturally produced by our bodies, how can this be bad? Creatine is not a hormone, how could this be bad? Any excess of creatine will simply be turned into a waste product called creatinine and excreted from the body. As mentioned, there are no hormones involved. Creatine has been used for years now, with not one adverse side effect reported from it. I challenge your professor to produce any documented proof that any kidney failure has resulted from a misuse of creatine. Even just one! I would be willing to bet he could not produce one, simply for the fact there are none.

Creatine use has been shown to be safe for folks using it up to 8 yrs. without a break. In fact, the way many are doing things now instead of getting off and reloading, they simply reload while still on creatine, (5 days) and never come off.

============
Quoting from pimple:

*checks notes*

Nov. 13, 2000 - heh, we were having a lesson on ATP and that kind of stuff... then the professor told us about creatine and body builders, and how taking too much of it (in false hopes of 'bigger-faster' gains) could cause kidney damage...

yeah, it was kidney, carivan, not liver... i don't know why i said liver in teh first post... maybe i didn't word the post right altogether or something... what our professor said that day was that taking too much creatine could cause kidney failure... that's why i said 'misusing' on my first post...
=============

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....
pimple
pimple
United States
2004/01/19, 06:33 PM
XD
that's funny...

============
Quoting from charlie826:

pimple, maybe you read your notes upside down.

=============

anyhoo, bb1, you win... my professor was wrong about creatine being a potential harm... thanks for dropping the knowledge...
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/01/22, 07:05 PM
Protein is the better choice. Creatine is overrated and we do not know the long term (30 year) side effects of it.