Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

almost broke neck , close grip bench

GOWAR
GOWAR
United States
2003/12/02, 10:29 PM
OMG, today when i was working out my coach wanted to leave early and i only had a few things left to do and he trusts me and everything, any way i had done a bunch of triceps exercises and then i did close grip bench with moderate weight and i haven't done close grip bench with anything moderate weight in alittle while and on the last set i finished it and went to rack it before i dropped it and my left arm racked it and then i missed the holder with my right and dropped the weight, oh shit! i had to jump my body to the left real quick or else it would have hit me right in the neck , thank god it didnt, importance of spotters, never doing that again.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/12/02, 11:35 PM
That may be the longest sentence I have ever read! But really, your point is well taken and should be with everyone. Never jeapordize saftey.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....
2003/12/03, 09:10 AM
I had a similar incident involving close-grip bench. I was doing fairly heavy sets by myself early in the morning when my right hand completely slipped off the bar. Luckily I had a decent enough grip with my left to slow the bar before it fell on my chest, but the weights flipped off each side and crashed to the floor. It was embarrassing and scary, and the last time I do that exercise without a spot.

--------------
OSU Law Rugby....specializing in personal injury and pain & suffering.
Ogun
Ogun
United States
2003/12/03, 01:29 PM
I saw some clown fly off of the back of a treadmill at 40 mph. Are there cardio spotters? :))

--------------
--There are no versions of the truth.--
Jeff Goldblum, Jurassic Park II
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2003/12/03, 03:30 PM
yea i learned my lesson about working out by myself( even though i still do)lol i don't have a work out partner never have:( but o well that won't stop me lol anyways i was at the ymca earlyer morning doing chest for my last set i wanted to go all out i knew i could get 225 for 8 reps just fine, coarse i was having one of those days we all have an di wasn't feeling to perky, but i did it anyways, well i got to 7 1/2 and pooped out, the bar wasn't moving lol so i let it come down on my chest, i was like now what, i had clips on it and no one was in there. well 1st i tried to roll it that didn't work my chest to thick and high and it hurt my ribs, then i tried just sitting up( yea right) a sit up with 225 and my 235lbs body weight?? that wasn't happening, so i sat there thinking maybe my streght would come back, didn't happen, so there i was with 225 on my chest, no one around and celion dione " titanic" song over the P.A, finally a guy was walking by after the cardio and saw me and asked me for help, i had to have looked liek a deer in the headlights lol , needless to say i was done for the day i did my cardio and went hoem lol that was 8 months ago i alot smarter now

--------------
---andrew.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!
Firehawk734
Firehawk734
United States
2003/12/04, 01:18 PM
You know what Ive seen that was even dumber? Ive seen guys performing bench press trying to lift HEAVY at a gym, with NO spotter, and they put those clips to hold the weight on. IMO that is the dumbest thing you can do. If you get caught, you are really in trouble with those clips on. At least if you dont have them on you can slide the weight off before it strangles you.

Stupid.

============
Quoting from GOWAR:

OMG, today when i was working out my coach wanted to leave early and i only had a few things left to do and he trusts me and everything, any way i had done a bunch of triceps exercises and then i did close grip bench with moderate weight and i haven't done close grip bench with anything moderate weight in alittle while and on the last set i finished it and went to rack it before i dropped it and my left arm racked it and then i missed the holder with my right and dropped the weight, oh shit! i had to jump my body to the left real quick or else it would have hit me right in the neck , thank god it didnt, importance of spotters, never doing that again.
=============
Firehawk734
Firehawk734
United States
2003/12/04, 01:20 PM
Oops, i wish there was a damn EDIT button option on posts lol. I wasnt implying YOU were stupid GOWAR, just that putting clips on the end locking the weight plates on the bar when you are helpless if something goes wrong and cant drop the weight is pretty stupid.

LOL. My wording is bad.

Im glad you didnt get hurt. Good reflex to move ;)
richardjst
richardjst
United States
2003/12/04, 02:16 PM
This also reminds me a couple incidents in when it is important to use collars on the bar...trust me on this one...not pretty! I've seen a couple guys get hurt with just a plate on either side that were very strong guys...don't forget that even though you may be strong....a weight even if it's a 2 1/2 will hurt comin down!

--------------
If hard work and persistence were the keys to success, most people would opt to pick the lock.~Dick
Logger
Logger
United States
2003/12/07, 08:26 AM
this story reminds me of my first close grop bench press. it was the very first time i had done them so i wasn't very good at it. i pulled the bar off the rack but little did i know that its pull downward was stronger than my push upwards. to make a short story long it came down and smacked me in my mouth. it hurt and it felt like i was going to ask santa for two front teeth this christmas. fortunatly i didn't have to cuz nothingn fell out.

--------------
free your mind -Logger
GOWAR
GOWAR
United States
2003/12/08, 07:44 PM
ouch
FSUCRACKA
FSUCRACKA
United States
2003/12/10, 09:54 PM
ah, the first time i did incline bench...oww. Well I thought it would feel the same as incline bench, so well, it came right down, and down,and down, onto my stomach, however i had spotters. :)
A_toole
A_toole
United States
2004/01/11, 03:05 AM
HEY YOU GUYS EVER SEEN THOSE SELF SPOTTING BENCHES AT THE GYM WHERE YOU JUST FLICK YOUR WRIST BACK AND A LITTLE HOOK GRABS ONTO A METAL FRAME SURROUNDING THE WHOLE BENCH?

IF YOU GUYS HAVE ACCESS TO THOSE YOU SHOULD USE THOSE WHEN YOU ARE ALONE.
dhurt55
dhurt55
United States
2004/01/11, 12:16 PM
Are you talking about a smith machine?

--------------
"Without Pains, there come no Gains" -Benjamin Franklin
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/01/11, 02:41 PM
The smith is great to use on close grips. You can use a power lifters mentality and really pile on the weight. Just set the spotters where you need. One of my favorite mass building exercises for triceps are Decline close grip benches with the smith machine. They work better than standard close grip, great stretch and more drive range for more tricep work in greater range. Give them a try!

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....
GOWAR
GOWAR
United States
2004/01/12, 12:04 AM
where can i buy or use a smith machine? know any gyms that have them? because I almost always work out at my school