Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Diet-exercise-weight loss-RIGHT!!!

fryer91
fryer91
United States
2003/11/03, 01:03 PM
Ok, a little frustrated; I have been on this weight loss/definition training going on 5 weeks. I am trying my best to stick to the advice given in the nutrition section per protein/carb/fat grams. I do 30 minutes of cardio(stationary bike) twice a week, and 5 minutes pre-workout warm up 3 times a week. Stick to the workout assigned! I got on the scale this weekend, and I have actually gained 7lbs since I started this! I am a little frustrated!

Positives I guess are;

Strength, endurance, a little definition in the shoulders...

That is about it!

Not sure about the BF %, but I know that I should NOT weigh 242lbs....

Any suggestions would be great!
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/11/03, 01:08 PM
My advice here (and all new people go thru it) is to stop weighing in. ASs you build muscle and lose fat something rather weird happens. You lose over all size but may gain weight. This is because fat takes more space. So as you lose fat the muscle being more dense takes less space. So, while they weight the same you may fit 2-3x the muscle in the space where you had fit 1lb of fat. So go get a cloth measuring tape and take measurements of you waist chest arms legs etc. Once a month measure again(it will be hard) to not get on a scale. You should see some growth as in bicpes and calves etc and hopefully a decline in waist. Another thing I need t oask is does your clothing fit loser? If so you are right on track!

--------------
Eat More, Drink More, and Lift Harder than you thought you could, welcome to Becoming!
fryer91
fryer91
United States
2003/11/03, 01:28 PM
I wasn't going to get on the scale until the program was over, but I couldn't help it. I only lasted 4 weeks!
Clothes are tighter in the shoulders, back, and legs. Waist has stayed the same. A little looser in the stomach. I WILL not get on the scale again; gotta buy a new one, I busted it to hell.(just kidding)...I should have measured the body parts before I started...I will do that this afternoon.

What you said makes a lot of sense, but I have always struggled with the beast called the scale. Thanks for your advice mutt! I'll keep pushin on, and try to ignore comments from some people at the gym...

Thanks again
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2003/11/03, 01:30 PM
And it takes time for your body to feel like your new routine isn't a seasonla fluke, that this is the new way of eating and fuel is abundant. Then it will relax and let some stored fat go.
Just keep focusing on the health benefits, and add a day of cardio.

--------------
Challenge + Consistency = Results
"You do or you do not. There is no try." - Yoda
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/11/03, 01:35 PM
Hell most of us here have fought the Scale Beast I weigh about 300 or so but my clothes fit loser and my waist has actually lost 9 inches or so since jan of this year so it can be done!

--------------
Eat More, Drink More, and Lift Harder than you thought you could, welcome to Becoming!
fryer91
fryer91
United States
2003/11/03, 01:41 PM
Aahhh!
Add a day of cardio; ick ick ick!!! Your killing me; huff huff puff puff...

???Another One???Target heart rate; is it right to subtract your age from 220 to establish the targeted heart rate...I usually try to do this on the days I warm up before resistant training...It seems to be taking longer, and my heart hasn't exploded yet(knock on wood)...

Deby
Deby
United States
2003/11/03, 01:46 PM
It took me almost 6 months to start losing weight. I just kept gaining muscle and losing fat!!! But now I am losing, slowly but losing.

--------------
Gramma
fryer91
fryer91
United States
2003/11/03, 01:50 PM
I hate the scale!!!After I measure the bodyparts; I will destroy the SOB!!!I will not worry about it anymore...

Maybe I should change my goals...Maybe I should try to go for the strength training...These reps of 16-14-12 suck..I miss the reps. of 8-6-4 and 1's...I had planned to do this program all the way through, and then try to do some strength training...

Awe-just frustrated all over...I will get over it, maybe do my own workout thing today; rather then theirs...I don't know; I think I am just needing a change...Things seem stagnated physically and mentally since getting on the damn scale....
fryer91
fryer91
United States
2003/11/03, 02:03 PM
deby....6 months!!!!!How did you pursavere(sp) through 6 months..That is awesome!! I guess I am going to have to knuckledown, and get prepared for the long battle ahead. It is so hard to forget how I use to be, and how I am today. I let myself get so out of shape. I have the drive to eat better, and exercise regularly; just have problems handling all the hard work, with slow results..It is kinda like 3 Steps Forward, and 2 Steps Back....

Thank you for sharing your battle with me. I am fairly new to this site, but have found that the people here are so supportive, and knowledgable.

Thanks again....
nikkiv6
nikkiv6
United States
2003/11/04, 02:52 AM
Keep it up, you've got a great attitude! Something to think about is that when the diet and exercise is where it is supposed to be, then you look at metabolic functions. How are your numbers (resting glucose, thyroid, blood pressure, etc
)? Also, have you considered being tested to find out your AT and where your heart-rate should really be? You can even be tested to find out what your resting metabolic rate is...no guessing there.
fryer91
fryer91
United States
2003/11/04, 10:55 AM
Hi nikkiv6!
Geez- didn't know one could get tested for all that stuff..Resting glucose;not sure what that is...My mother & brother are both diabetic, and they test me about every time I see them..I am tired of being poked with the needle..Seems like I am always 78-82...Blood pressure, I get that checked every week by our company nurse. January 1st; I was at 145/78 most of the time;I was also at 276 lbs..Changed my eating habits, and started riding the stationary bike...For the last month;my blood pressure averaged 118/72...I take my pulse rate in the morning before getting out of bed;hasn't been a great flucuation since the first month..The pulse rate seems to be very consistant...
I am feeling pretty good for the most part...I do take a multi-vitamin, Vit.-C, and a little extra E...Just started taking a post workout protein mix...

I try to keep a positive attitude in everything I do. I have been told that I am sooo laid back...What the heck do they mean sooooooo laid back!!!

Geez; change the things you can, and accept the things you can't....It is not that hard!...Health is a thing that I can change, and being able to be humble enough to seek answers from people, has never been a problem for me.

Well,
I will get off the ole soapbox...Thank you all for sharing your knowledge, and support. I greatly appreciate it!!

...Body Under Construction...
Deby
Deby
United States
2003/11/04, 11:36 AM
I work with a Trainer at the gym where I go and he has done all necessary testing for me. Since I am 56 years old now, he does take my pulse often but it is always within normal range. When I started with the trainer, my pants started getting tight and I was thinking the same thing you are, what is going on???!!!!!! But it was because I was gaining muscle "like a 25 year old male" (quote from my trainer) and the fat was not going away. Everything did start to even out and my pants started getting loose again!!!!! Happy DAYS!!!! THEN I started losing weight. I still have a long way to go as far as weight loss but my clothing size has dropped significantly!!!

--------------
Gramma
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2003/11/04, 11:41 AM
Your blood pressure results alone should be enough to propel you to the gym, whether the weight is coming off yet or not.

As a woman, in Debys case, it is fairly typical for the body to change without dropping a lot in the first 6 months. Women are made to store fat and we take longer in convincing our bodies that fuel is abundant.

Fryer, the fat will come off. You have had a lot of good changes.
Don't get out of oxygen when you do cardio - you will get better results staying in your 70-80% THR zone, and do HIIT once a week for a switch up. You can do HIIT in 20 minutes and burn hellacalories. If you need info on it, do a fit buddy search - there are tons of previous posts and routine ideas.

Take a good look at your carbohydrates - what types are you eating and when? Is there room to cut out some refined foods? Journal your food for a week - it will make you realize what is going in, things you might not really be aware of. Dialing in your diet will bring you the fastest results.

--------------
Challenge + Consistency = Results
"You do or you do not. There is no try." - Yoda
fryer91
fryer91
United States
2003/11/04, 11:54 AM
Logging my food intake: ok, I will do this for a week and see what it comes up with. I do load up on the carbs when I plan on doing more of the aerobic activity, but maybe I am eating to much of them...Hmmm, one never quits learning...

Thanks again...
Deby
Deby
United States
2003/11/04, 12:18 PM
"One Never Quits Learning" -- truer words were NEVER spoken!!!! I am living proof of that!!! I learn something new everyday! What I try to do is eat "lower" complex carbs on my cardio only days and "higher" complex carbs on my workout/cardio days. That seems to work for me.

--------------
Gramma
jajewel
jajewel
United States
2004/12/04, 01:30 PM
asimmer, my body pretty much looks like your before pic, how long did it take you to get that new body? I used to have a similar body before I had children, and I want it back! I am now eating a lot more and weight training,and do cardio 20 min hiit 3 times a week. I have lost 15 pounds in 6 weeks and 22 1/2 inches over all my body. I am getting alittle frustrated at my mid section..legs look pretty good, hips aren't bad, I tried on a size 12 pair of levis, and they fit me everywhere but lacked 4 inches of going around my flabby tummy.( I had a baby 3 months ago). I am 38 years old. Just wanted to know how long it took you to look like you do now???

============
Quoting from asimmer:

And it takes time for your body to feel like your new routine isn't a seasonla fluke, that this is the new way of eating and fuel is abundant. Then it will relax and let some stored fat go.
Just keep focusing on the health benefits, and add a day of cardio.

=============
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/12/05, 08:18 AM
jajewel - it takes over a year for your body to recover from childbirth, so cut yourself some slack.
Keep training and eating right and doing abdominal/core training to recover your 'girdle' muscles that get stretched out when pregnant.
Do you know if your abs seperated when you were pregnant?

--------------
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust
morrisII
morrisII
United States
2007/12/12, 11:20 AM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
morrisII
morrisII
United States
2007/12/12, 11:23 AM
i need help im 6' 240lbs im stating to lift weights
i need help on starting to eat very healthy
im clueless