Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Shoulder ouch

lexballer13
lexballer13
United States
2003/10/23, 04:30 PM
Hey this past week I have been waking up with my right shoulder just aching so bad. Tylenol helps for a little bit, but then it comes right back. I can't think of anything that could be wrong besides maybe a pinched nerve. It hurts to lift hence I don't. I ice it but it just isn't getting any better. Any suggestions would be great thanx.

baller <><
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2003/10/24, 06:12 AM
Sounds like inflammation - fluids pool as you sleep and cause pain, you can ice it. There are some simple ways to try and evaluate it, but if it persists, see a doctor.The longer you wait to treat an injury, the longer it will take to heal becasue of secondary injury.
Try these tests with the help of a friend -
Passive Movement:
Let your arm go limp and have your friend move it through its range of motion at the shoulder joint. Does it hurt when you are not using your muscles to move it?
Active Movement:
Now move it using the muscles around the shoulder - does that hurt?
Traction on Joint"
Now, relax your shoulder and have your friend gently pull down on your arm to traction the shoulder jiont - does that hurt? (Have them hold around your arm with both hands, above the biceps/triceps and gently pull away from your body).
Here is how you evaluate what you learned from the above:

If you have pain with all three actions, you have probably done some joint/ligament damage and need to see a doctor.
If you have pain with active movement, but not the other two movements, it is most likely muscular and should heal in time with rest and ice and stretching and massage.
If you have pain with active and passive movement but not with the joint traction, you most likely have an irritated or inflamed bursa. That should egt better with ice and rest and stretching, but if it persists, see a doctor.
Good luck!

--------------
Challenge + Consistency = Results
"You do or you do not. There is no try." - Yoda
lexballer13
lexballer13
United States
2003/10/29, 10:04 PM
I did go to the doctor and he said it was a bursa, thanx for the info.
maxster
maxster
Canada
2003/12/09, 10:51 PM
hey my name is maxster please feed me in on what info i should look for if it's just a bursa. Thanks!!!