Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

birth control ?

Taurie
Taurie
United States
2003/10/17, 03:07 PM
I was wondering how many of you take birth control pills and if so what kind. I know everybody is different but, I would really appreciate some feedback. I was thinking about starting to take the pill at age 27 but, feeling a bit wierd about taking hormones since my hormones are okay except for mild cramps and acne. Acne is my biggest concern and I've heard that the pill can help within 3 months. Is this true? My other concern about taking the pill is weight gain and cellulite. Perhaps a low dosage would prevent weight gain. Does anyone have any personal experience with this?
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/10/17, 04:33 PM
You should consult your physician about using BC for acne. I know they did that 20 years ago, I don't know about now. I didn't have a weight gain problem with the one I took, but like you said it was a lower dose. Was on it for years.

--------------
~Victoria~
...There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.--Beverly Sills
klw0022
klw0022
United States
2003/10/17, 08:53 PM
I have been using OrthoEvra for almost a year now...it's great! You wear one patch every week for 3 weeks and then the 4th week is when you menstruate...I was relly bad at remembering to take my pills, so I switched...there were a few mild side effects (cramps...) but I got through it...It's just a thought for convienence=)..(Plus I didn't gain any weight from it since I kept my workout up too)
Philia2
Philia2
France
2003/10/18, 02:26 AM
I started to take the pill when I was 18 years old and ever since I have started and stopped three times. I've never had any real problems with putting on weight.
Today I got an implant in my left arm. Works absolutely fine for me.

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
sweetbrown
sweetbrown
United States
2003/10/20, 04:46 PM
Dont feel bad. I started taking the pill at age 27 (back in April). I am taking Low-Ogestrel (spell check). I havent had any problems with it. Intially I was hesitant about weight gain. But, I realized that for me right now, I'd rather have the weight gain as opposed to a newborn. I have gained weight, but I dont think I can attribute it solely to the pill. It was probably more a result of my lack of activity and bad food choices. I was hoping to blame my weight gain on something other than myself, but after researching I found that the pill does not cause the average person to gain mor than a few pounds.

Like you, I was hesitant about taking any hormones. I was even more hesitant about having to remember to take something every day. But for me, the pill was the best choice. And it has worked out.

I have also had the Norplant (i.e. the implants in the arm) as well. I gained weight during the time I had it. But again, I cannot contribute the weight gain to it either. I happen to have it while I was in college, so I think the weight gain was more of from the Freshman 10 (15 or how much ever) than from the Norplant.

I have heard of a pill called Yasmin that is supposed to promote weight loss. Here is a link from ABC News that gives information about it.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/living/HealthyWoman/Yasmin021120.html

good luck
Taurie
Taurie
United States
2003/10/21, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the input. I do have a doctor's appointment towards the end of the month...I'll discuss with her the best options for birth control and acne. My acne although mild to moderate it is very bothersome, I'm sure it's brought on by hormones. I've used just about every product under the sun for skin care and they all seem to work great until my period comes. I never had acne as a teenager...friends envied my complexion. And you know what...I was taking ortho 7 (if i remeber correctly) for a couple years or so...however, I do remeber putting on 5lbs as a result but, I wasn't working out. But, from what you ladies are telling me, there are a lot of new bc options out there. There has got to be one that is right for me. Thank you all =)
SGibs9474
SGibs9474
United States
2003/10/23, 01:18 AM
I'm younger than it seems that most of these people are, right now I am currently on Ortho Tricyclen Lo. Which is a lower dosage of BC than other kinds. It is suppose to help with acne (which I got from the water when I came to college) and is not supposed to make you gain as much weight as other sorts of pills, as well as make you less moody and relieve cramps and all sorts of good stuff. Good luck, I hope it wasnt to late
SGibs9474
SGibs9474
United States
2003/10/23, 01:19 AM
I'm younger than it seems that most of these people are, right now I am currently on Ortho Tricyclen Lo. Which is a lower dosage of BC than other kinds. It is suppose to help with acne (which I got from the water when I came to college) and is not supposed to make you gain as much weight as other sorts of pills, as well as make you less moody and relieve cramps and all sorts of good stuff. Good luck, I hope it wasnt to late
Taurie
Taurie
United States
2003/10/23, 01:44 PM
No...you're not to late...my dr.'s appointment isn't until Oct.28. Even then, I might have to try a couple different ones before I find the right one for me.
SGibs have you noticed any mood changes from your Ortho Tricyclen Lo? A co-worker mentioned that every girl she new, including herself, that had taken Ortho Tricyclen experience serious moodiness. But, you probably get less side affects with the 'Lo'.
So, your acne cleared up...how long did it take?
Thank you! =)
Philia2
Philia2
France
2003/10/24, 03:07 AM
Hi Sweetbrown, you didn't have any problems with getting or moving the implant?
I had serious problems to make it stay under the skin (I don't have much fat and the muscles kept pushing the darn thing out! ;o)
BUT I really don't regret anything. I've had it for almost one year and I feel better than I've ever felt before!

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
laneylou
laneylou
United States
2003/10/28, 03:47 AM
If I can, may I make a suggestion for you to try before starting on the pill?

My old roommate had VERY bad acne problems. I came home one day and she was drinking a slimfast. Asked her if she was on a diet and she said no, I remember my terrible acne? I said yeah. She had started to drink a slim fast every day and it went away completely.

Her skin was as clear as mine and I've hardly ever had any blemishes on my face at all. I was pretty amazed.

That's just a suggestion if you wanted to try it. :)

Apparently there is just some vitamin that she's missing. Hopefully that'll be the case for you as well. :)
laneylou
laneylou
United States
2003/10/28, 04:15 AM
Oh and also, check out your birth control as well. Do some studying on it. That's how I gained all of my weight is on Depo Provera. I was starving all the time. Gained at least 11 pounds a year for 3 years in a row, plus the 2 years it took for the shot to get out of my system. Every time I'd get a shot in my left hip, my right ankle would swell up as big as my calf for a full day and vice versa. It was very odd. But other than the weight gain and the ankle thing I had no problems. And they do affect everyone differently, I know that. hehe

Depo also makes you stop having periods which is AWESOME. BUT it also puts you at a LOT higher risk of having problems with other things like cancer and stuff if you don't have at least 2 periods a year. You could be in some big trouble. I was on the Depo through Planned Parenthood and when my doctor found out pulled me off of it immediately since I wasn't having periods at all.

Make sure you read on these different kinds of pills before you take them. I'm completely against any kind of birth control now. :) I know it needs to be taken to prevent pregnancy but I would also do some SERIOUS research on any pills I take from now on.
Taurie
Taurie
United States
2003/11/13, 06:50 PM
Yeah, I agree with doing research on meds. I dislike taking pills...especially ones that have hormones but my acne as small of a problem as it is...it makes me feel more insecure than I should feel. The problem is that my skin scars so easily every time I get my period I get a few new pimples and those few pimples leave marks on my face for several months.

Anyhoo, my doc wants me to try Alesse for 3 months and see how I do with it. Only problem now is that my period is 2 weeks late...funny, cause it's never been late before. She even had me take a little test to make sure I didn't have a little something in the oven...nope, that was negative. So, I'll have to wait and see.
laneylou
laneylou
United States
2003/11/13, 07:26 PM
You're fine. Stress can make that thing not happen for forever it seems like. Alesse is I think about the lightest pill you can get.

Did you possibly try drinking a slim fast every day to take care of the acne problem? And if it's only happening when you're on that time then maybe you should just drink the slim fast the week of ... ???

Taurie
Taurie
United States
2003/11/13, 08:01 PM
You right Laneylou my body has been under stress.
I actually use to drink slim fast for breakfast on a regular basis 'cause I'm one of those...always in a hurry type of girl. It didn't do anything...besides I do take vitamins drink a gallon of water everyday...this keeps me from breaking out 3 weeks out of the month. Thanks for the suggestion though:) You know, I stoped washing my face so much...my skin is the clearest it's been in a long while. I use only warm water with a wash cloth in the morning and at night I use cetyphil (sp?) and I've been applying the this GH3 cream for wrinkles and acne discoloration 2X a day. This has been helping I think...I'll have to see when I get my period...it should be soon I was craving chocolate for lunch, lol!
laneylou
laneylou
United States
2003/12/09, 08:58 PM
heheh ... I think I've craved chocolate for lunch every lunch I've ever had???? hehehe ;)

Anyway ... sounds like things are great! I had some problems with the outsides of my arms being all rough skin and stuff too ... I talked to my mother and she said she had talked to her Dermatologist? (spelling?) and he said that women are way too harsh on their bodies. There is no reason to ever wash anywhere other than under your arms and between your legs. The rest of your body will be cleaned enough with water rinsing it off. I started doing what he said and I haven't seen a single sign of the rough skin since then. Women are really hard on their bodies ... I know I was, I scrubbed every inch of my body with lufsa pads and scrubbers and soaps with the cleaning gritty stuff in 'em etc. But, I'm great now! :) :) :)
nadia216
nadia216
United Kingdom
2003/12/10, 05:00 AM
Hi taurie,

Yasmin is a new birth control pill that claims to benefit acne sufferers - by affecting androgen production in your body. I think it also contains potassium to prevent water retention (a common cause of weight gain for women taking the pill).

Dianette (also know as Diane 35) contains anti-androgens - it's a contraceptive pill which can also be used as an acne treatment. Though I don't know if this is available in the US.

Hope this helps.
Taurie
Taurie
United States
2003/12/10, 02:28 PM
Well, I got away with only 2 new pimples this month. Skin is looking better:) My Doc says by my next "." I'll definately notice an improvement. I like the birth control I'm on...I haven't put on any weight except for in...well, I had to buy new bras. Yeah, I'm pretty excited about that:) The only problem is with spotting (sorry for being crude). I'm hoping it'll go away, if not, then I'll see about Nadia's suggestions. Thanks btw.
I've heard great things about Yasmin...so, that'll be next if the one I'm on doesn't work out.
laneylou
laneylou
United States
2003/12/11, 11:34 AM
Taurie!!!!!!!!!! OMG !!!!!!!!!! Which one are you on that you had to go buy new bras? I want a tripple shot of that goodness! LOL

;)
Taurie
Taurie
United States
2003/12/11, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I have to say I'm enjoying the girls. I grew about 1/2 cup or more...my best friend even noticed...it's great.
If the boy that dumped me a month ago could see me now. lol.
I'm taking Alesse. I know another girl who started taking the pill (don't know which brand) but she said she lost weight and her boobs got bigger! Amazing isn't it!
Now for my complexion...one more month should do it...I hope.
einsam
einsam
New Zealand
2004/01/12, 06:22 AM
I see it's been a while since this was last contributed to, but after reading, I realised that the 3 years I was on Femulen, I gained maybe 20kilos within 6months (mostly eating habits), but no matter how hard I tried to lost it, I couldn't. It got to the point where I was so frustrated I gave up on losing weight and concentrated on life. Now back in October, I stopped taking the pills because I was having several nose bleeds and an aquaintence with knowledge of the holistic side of health advised me to stop. The nose bleeds stopped, and since then I've lost about 10 kilos, most of that during December. I wonder if this is all coincidence, but when I go back to getting back on the pill come late summer (I figured it'd be best to stay off it till then as my nose bleeds are usually a result of hayfever) I am going to ask what my other options are.
Taurie
Taurie
United States
2004/01/12, 02:00 PM
Einsam, I just started my 3rd month of Alesse...I love it! I too was very much into holistic health care...I worked in the industry for 4 yrs. I've adopted the holistic ideals that work for me...and I live by 'em 80% of the time...to live by it 100% of the time...it would just be to much work to be adament about it.

I was very unsure about being on the pill because of my past beliefs...but, right now (I'm fairly fickle)it's definately working for my advantage. I still lost weight...2lbs...I got down to 15% bf my skin is finally clear again and I couldn't be more greatful! So far the pill (Alesse) has been a blessing. Definately ask you doctor...the pill isn't for everyone but, you may find a pill that works for you. Let me know how it goes for you.
shavondebrown
shavondebrown
United States
2004/01/12, 07:40 PM
Like she said. everyone is diffenet. I have been on the depo shot for almost 2 years and have not had any weight gain isues. It is convenient for me because it stops my period completely, the main reason why I am it. It is hard to be in a field environment on your period and not have access to shower facilities.
============
Quoting from laneylou:

Oh and also, check out your birth control as well. Do some studying on it. That's how I gained all of my weight is on Depo Provera. I was starving all the time. Gained at least 11 pounds a year for 3 years in a row, plus the 2 years it took for the shot to get out of my system. Every time I'd get a shot in my left hip, my right ankle would swell up as big as my calf for a full day and vice versa. It was very odd. But other than the weight gain and the ankle thing I had no problems. And they do affect everyone differently, I know that. hehe

Depo also makes you stop having periods which is AWESOME. BUT it also puts you at a LOT higher risk of having problems with other things like cancer and stuff if you don't have at least 2 periods a year. You could be in some big trouble. I was on the Depo through Planned Parenthood and when my doctor found out pulled me off of it immediately since I wasn't having periods at all.

Make sure you read on these different kinds of pills before you take them. I'm completely against any kind of birth control now. :) I know it needs to be taken to prevent pregnancy but I would also do some SERIOUS research on any pills I take from now on.

=============

--------------
It's not what we eat or drink occasionally, but what we consume on a daily basis that determines our ongoing level o health.

formerfatguy.com
Not sure of author