Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 22, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

the diet

effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/09/16, 07:39 PM
Ugh, they need to play the music from "Jaws" when you start thinking about competition diet. I'm getting by, but I have never realized before just how many food commercials are on tv and billboards. I'm hoping that if I post my diet I can get some input or maybe a little advice. I'm currently at about 10-11% bf, 118 lbs. This is my first attempt, I may need somehelp.

6 meals daily, 2.5-3 hours apart, as follows:
1. 8 egg whites, plain oats with cinnamon, flax seeds, and splenda
2,3,4,5:any 3 of the following, one from each group:
a) brown rice or brown rice pasta or whole wheat pita or sweet potato
b)turkey or chicken breast or salmon or tuna or very lean beef or bison
c)any vegetables (excluding corn, peas, and potato)
6.(post workout) protein shake made with water
--I also supplement omega-3 oils and calcium as well as all my vitamins.
--I'm currently eating small amounts of lower GI fruits once or twice daily with meals, I can cut it if I plateau
--this is steady for the time being, I'll begin to cycle carbs if I plateau
--the total calories are around 1500, just over 1 gram protein per pound of me
-thanks everyone for taking the time to read this and respond, I'm really nervous about this thing and appreciate the help.

--------------
Think you can or think you can't; either way you're right--Goethe
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/09/16, 08:57 PM
First off, is your competition Nov. 8th, and what bf % are you at now? This will determine how "fast" you have to proceed with caloric deficit to achieve your desired fat loss. Competition diets are no fun, are they? LOL...It seems you are bombarded by food ads, etc. People who haven't done this really don't know the dedication it takes.

--------------
Great people never want it easier, they just want to be better!
Ron
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/09/16, 08:58 PM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/09/17, 12:15 AM
Geez, I am not with it tonight, in the above post, it should be .25 gr. per lb. per 1/2 your bodyweight (I forgot the 1/2 part), and the same with protein. So, at 110 lbs., half your weight is 55. Therefore for carbs, 55 x .25 = 13-14 gr. approximately, and with protein, 55 x .5 = 27.5 gr. I suggest your protein be a good quality whey isolate for quicker absorbtion at this time. The 14 gr. of carbs should be divided between 1/2 dextrose and 1/2 maltodextrin. This is a super fast absorbing form in the dextrose, and a tad bit slower form in the malto. The best way to utilize this is to mix with water, and drink 1/2 immediately and then sip the other half for about 30-45 min. to level off and stabilize blood sugars for the day.

--------------
Ron
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/09/16, 10:34 PM
First, my apologies for not reading your post all the way through, thought you just posted your diet and was printing it out so I could look it over as I replied. YOur main goal of course should be losing all subcontaneous bodyfat. You should be losing 1 lb. per week, maybe 2 tops. If not, then a calorie reduction is in order, usually about 200-300 calories will do, along with cardio calorie expenditure this should set you back in motion. Your intake of protein needs to be high, I would up yours to 1.5 gr. per lb. of bodyweight at this point and not have from group A at all meals. A ratio of 60/30/10, P/C/F would be good at this point. You are getting oats in the morning which is great, already from that class, and I would only have at maybe 2 more meals at most, preferrably one of them after training, from group A. And I would make that brown rice, black beans, black eyed peas, or a sweet potato. You may increase your veggies for more fiber for the more satiated feeling. I would think about having your fats at your last meal, for instance 5-6 oz. chicken, turkey or other lean meat, 1-2 cups veggies, and a tbsp. of flax. At about 8 weeks out, you will want to incorporate some "refeeds", (carb meals), as your bodyfat drops, to keep metabolism honest and workouts from not falling to very low levels. It gets very tricky getting from 10% bf to competition levels, the body will fight you every step of the way. I hope this helps....will be glad to help more if I can.

--------------
Ron
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/09/16, 10:53 PM
I forgot, I would also add a simple carb to your post workout shake. .25 gr. per lb. of bodyweight, and make the amount of proein .5 gr. per lb.. This is imperative to help preserve lean tissue at this point of diet. Failing to spike leaves one in a catabloic state, which creates a whole host of problems for you.

1. Cortisol is a muslce wasting hormone. When you are already on restricted calories, you can only guess where the body goes for energy...the muscles via gluconeogenesis.

2. Slows the metabolism, opposite of what we want.

3. Suppresses thyroid production.

4. Negative nitrogen balance

This is one of the main reasons, I believe you lose a lot of muscle cutting down. This is not necessary, nor of course wanted and counterproductive. I believe it is better to spike insulin post workout, supress cortisol, and burn fat via the rest of the day's diet.

I believe this is especially true during dieting as we are cutting calories. It is very easy for your body to start burning muscle through gluconeogenesis post workout. Spiking insulin is the best way to counter act this negative effect. The bonus is, this and meal one(breakfast) are the two times of the day, when fat storage is practially impossible if done correctly.

Post-workout your body is going to use anything you put in it to begin the recovery process. Insulin is a shuttling hormone. It works both ways. It will shuttle much needed protein, carbs, and nutritents to our muscles rapidly post workout, unfortunately, it will also stores fat if abused throughout the rest of the day.

--------------
Ron
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/09/17, 02:34 PM
Wow! I was hoping for a quick response and look what you gave me. Great information, thanks. I have to have a small about of rice (.75 cup or less) or pita with each meal because I'm hypoglycemic and I can't function without quality carbs. My protein shake is high quality isolate, I also add glutamine to it. I think I might add another shake mid afternoon when I usually have a blood sugar slump, this will also help my numbers. As for the post-workout insulin spike, is this still a good idea if I work out and then go home to bed? I know some people who have half a small banana post workout but I don't know how good an idea that is. Also, if I really need to eat between set meals, can I have some broccoli or something to hold me? This is really hard for me because I can't afford to pay someone, so I'm going on what I know. I think the fats were a little low. I had little spoon of lite peanut butter with breakfast today (just a bit) and I feel much better than I have at this time of day the last little bit. I'm worried that I'm going to lose too much muscle, because I'm at 10% bf without specific effort, I don't know what will happen when I'm actually trying to lean out. Is the pasta okay? The only ingredient is stone ground brown rice. It's a nice change. Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate the support. I'll keep you posted on my progress and any new questions. This is truly the greatest fitness site out there!

--------------
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/09/17, 02:56 PM
Your worry about losing too much muscle is well founded. That is precisely the reason for the post workout shake. This even after an evening training session is essential, maybe even moreso, becuase cortisol is running rampant, and if you go to be this way it is even much moreso muscle wasting. Here is a little study that may ease your mind a bit. I put quotes around the most prominent line pertaining to fat burning and carb intake post workout.

As far as eating veggies, this is a good bet. Asparagus, green leafy veggies, etc. are good to munch. These are fibrous, and cannot be utilized for glycogen, so can help aid with the fiber the feeling of satiety. Try not to if you can help it. A protein shake for a meal is a great option, maybe have a tomato or something on the side with it. If you start to get too low blood sugar, then you may need to start your carb meals sooner. At 10% bf, I usually incorporate 1 per week, as I get lower I raise it to 2-3. Make this your last meal before bed, will help keep metabolism honest and provide a bit of glycogen storage to help your workout and keep your body guessing. I would have the peanut butter before bed with your final meal, will slow digestion down a bit and good fats.

Effect of fat adaptation and carbohydrate restoration on metabolism and performance during prolonged cycling.

Burke LM, Angus DJ, Cox GR, Cummings NK, Febbraio MA, Gawthorn K, Hawley JA, Minehan M, Martin DT, Hargreaves M.

Sports Science and Sports Medicine, Australian Institute of Sport, Belconnen 2616, Australia. louise.burke@ausport.gov.au

For 5 days, eight well-trained cyclists consumed a random order of a high-carbohydrate (CHO) diet (9.6 g. kg(-1). day(-1) CHO, 0.7 g. kg(-1). day(-1) fat; HCHO) or an isoenergetic high-fat diet (2.4 g. kg(-1). day(-1) CHO, 4 g. kg(-1). day(-1) fat; Fat-adapt) while undertaking supervised training. On day 6, subjects ingested high CHO and rested before performance testing on day 7 . With Fat-adapt, 5 days of high-fat diet reduced respiratory exchange ratio (RER) during cycling at 70% maximal O(2) consumption; this was partially restored by 1 day of high CHO . Corresponding RER values on HCHO trial were . During SS, estimated fat oxidation increased , whereas CHO oxidation decreased for Fat-adapt compared with HCHO. Tracer-derived estimates of plasma glucose uptake revealed no differences between treatments, suggesting muscle glycogen sparing accounted for reduced CHO oxidation. Direct assessment of muscle glycogen utilization showed a similar order of sparing (260 +/- 26 vs. 360 +/- 43 mmol/kg dry wt; P = 0.06). TT performance was 30.73 +/- 1.12 vs. 34.17 +/- 2.48 min for Fat-adapt and HCHO (P = 0.21). "These data show significant metabolic adaptations with a brief period of high-fat intake, which persist even after restoration of CHO availability". However, there was no evidence of a clear benefit of fat adaptation to cycling performance.

--------------
Ron
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/09/17, 03:12 PM
Here is another study that may interest you..the bottom line, you must shut off cortisol, no matter what the time of day.

Postexercise protein-carbohydrate and carbohydrate supplements increase muscle glycogen in men and women.

Tarnopolsky MA, Bosman M, Macdonald JR, Vandeputte D, Martin J, Roy BD.

Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8S 4K1. tarnopol@mcmaster.ca

We have previously demonstrated that women did not increase intramuscular glycogen in response to an increased percent of dietary carbohydrate (CHO) (from 60 to 75% of energy intake) (M. A. Tarnopolsky, S. A. Atkinson, S. M. Phillips, and J. D. MacDougall. J. Appl. Physiol. 78: 1360-1368, 1995). CHO and CHO-protein (Pro) supplementation postexercise can potentiate glycogen resynthesis compared with placebo (K. M. Zawadzki, B. B. Yaspelkis, and J. L. Ivy. J. Appl. Physiol. 72: 1854-1859, 1992). We studied the effect of isoenergetic CHO and CHO-Pro-Fat supplements on muscle glycogen resynthesis in the first 4 h after endurance exercise (90 min at 65% peak O2 consumption) in trained endurance athletes (men, n = 8; women, tested in midfollicular phase, n = 8). Each subject completed three sequential trials separated by 3 wk; a supplement was provided immediately and 1-h postexercise: 1) CHO (0.75 g/kg) + Pro (0.1 g/kg) + Fat (0.02 g/kg), 2) CHO (1 g/kg), and 3) placebo (Pl; artificial sweetener). Subjects were given prepackaged, isoenergetic, isonitrogenous diets, individualized to their habitual diet, for the day before and during the exercise trial. During exercise, women oxidized more lipid than did men (P < 0.05). Both of the supplement trials resulted in greater postexercise glucose and insulin compared with Pl (P < 0.01), with no gender differences. Similarly, both of these trials resulted in increased glycogen resynthesis (37.2 vs. 24. 6 mmol . kg dry muscle-1 . h-1, CHO vs. CHO-Pro-Fat, respectively) compared with Pl (7.5 mmol . kg dry muscle-1 . h-1; P < 0.001) with no gender differences. We conclude that postexercise CHO and CHO-Pro-Fat nutritional supplements can increase glycogen resynthesis to a greater extent than Pl for both men and women.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial
Randomized Controlled Trial

--------------
Ron
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/09/17, 04:05 PM
Oh my gosh! You people are incredible. I couldn't even read half of that...lol.

--------------
~Victoria~
...There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.--Beverly Sills
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2003/09/17, 05:09 PM
bbfit1, can I move in with you and sandysford for my next precompetition diet???
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/09/18, 07:30 PM
Today is definitely easier than the last few days. The first few I didn't feel 100% present. Now I'm good. I think that increasing my fats slightly is what did it, and that I'm adjusting. It's really depressing to think that I won't see bread until mid-november. I'm just dealing now with feeling sorry for myself. I'm a cashier at a grocery store and there were unusually high junk food sales last night. Any encouraging words would be a big help. I think I should go home and listen to the music from Rocky. Thanks again.

--------------
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/09/18, 07:35 PM
I don't think I mentioned that this is only day 4. I haven't been dieting to end up at my current body comp. It's just happened that I've gradually dropped body fat and ended up at 10% (although I was eating tons). I was warned not to start dieting before now because of the danger of muscle mass loss. I'm just going to have to be very attentive to what's happening with my body until I know how it will react.

--------------
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2003/09/19, 01:40 PM
Wow. 10% without dieting, you must have an awesome metabolism!
Don't worry, it gets easier as time goes on and you forget what things taste like.
I found it helpful (though probably not mentally healthy) to seperate myslef from 'those poor slobs' buying krispy kremes and bread, as if I were a different breed or higher being. Sounds snootier than it really was, but it helped to mentally do that so I would feel sorry for them and their junk food and proud of my food strategy. Do you know what I mean?
Hang in there.

--------------
Challenge + Consistency = Results
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/09/22, 02:37 PM
Well, it's happened after a week of dieting. I have a head cold. The only good thing about being sick is that I can't smell other people's food. My flax oil doesn't taste as bad, either.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/09/22, 07:52 PM
Forgot to mention, that is one thing to be aware of. When dieting to get to contest level bodyfats, your immune system is lowered as well. Make sure you load up on Vit. C and Zinc. Many of us either right before or right after a competition get sick due to this. Though we look great on stage, we actually are in a very fragile state being that low in bodyfat. Be careful. Keep your vitamins pumping in you, especially now.

--------------
Ron
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/09/23, 04:07 PM
I was expecting to get sick, and I guess that a head cold is pretty minor, considering. However, cardio is difficult to impossible because I can't really breathe. Secondly, my balance is so off that practicing my holds and jumps is dangerous. I've got the bruises to prove it! I am, however, noticably leaner, and lifting more than I could a couple of weeks back. Onward and upward...Thanks for the continued support and advice.
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/09/26, 12:24 PM
My little head cold has actually turned into a fairly serious ear and sinus infection. Not cool. I'm on serious antibiotics to deal with all the secondary infection. I had to give up and go home early last night because I had no balance, not a good thing when you're under a bar. This has to get easier at some point, right?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/09/26, 07:09 PM
Don't let it get to you. First time experience doing this is very tough. You are experiencing first hand. It is not at all like just dieting to lose weight, folks that have not done it really don't understand the trauma you put your body through. All I can say is keep looking ahead, it does get better. The end reward is outstanding, when you walk out on that stage with some of the very best physiques around. It is cool, and an experience you will never forget. I did the same thing the first time, got sick, but nothing was going to keep me from doing it, had my mind made up. You will too. Good luck to you.

--------------
Ron
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/09/29, 02:32 PM
Things are getting worse. I have the equivalent of a shin splint in my right forearm. I can't lift or practice any of my holds and moves. I don't know what to do, I'm losing valuable practice time with this useless arm!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2003/10/01, 11:35 AM
That is rough. Have you been wrapping your arm, I am guessing your ulna and radius ar pulling apart at the interosseous sheath?
Maybe you need to have some one reevaluate your diet. Are you supplementing enough to make up for the nutrients you aren't getting?
How lean do you have to get for fitness competition? It seems to me you are already very lean at 10% and you are doing more of an athletic competition, do you need to go through all of this for fitness?
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/10/01, 12:29 PM
I think the diet is okay. I'm not physically tired, and all my vitamins, glutamine, ect. are covered. I'm leaning very nicely and I haven't increased my cardio yet. The problem is that I was practicing on an upsprung studio floor because it's all I have access to. I had my wrists wrapped, but I think that the impact still did me in. The pain is only along the ulna, and I could handle the that, but the problem is that it can't support any weight. I see my doctor friday, hopefully she can help determine what's going on. It's actually getting worse even though I'm using it as little as possible, wrapping, icing, the whole enchilada. I think it may be more than just a soft tissue problem, from the way it's going. The norm for fitness in this part of Canada is less than 10% fat. I need to hit at least 6% to be competitive. There is the bikini round and quarter turns, and the judges are looking for veins but not striation. Just part of the sport, I'm afraid.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2003/10/02, 11:50 AM
Good luck. I hope it all turns out alright. Can they give you some sort of brace to get through the fitnees part?

--------------
Challenge + Consistency = Results
\"You do or you do not. There is no try.\" - Yoda