Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

youth

INTRUDER
INTRUDER
United States
2003/07/09, 12:32 PM
Just doesnt seem like the youth today care much about
individual competition today.

--------------
"Get everthing you want--just make a little change now"
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/07/09, 12:34 PM
*Playing devil's advocate*
What makes you say that, intruder????

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
INTRUDER
INTRUDER
United States
2003/07/09, 01:17 PM
Im speaking about american youth.
Other than MX Racing, snowdoarding, and skateboards, I just dont see any contenders. Take bycicling and running for example; thier should be some 18-28 yr olds in the top 10.
The top american winner of the Boston Marathon this last spring was in his 40s, I think he was 10th overall. After he crosed the finish line he stoped and asked a news reporter; "where in the hell is everyone?"

--------------
2003/07/09, 03:49 PM
Maybe it's just that we buy into big money, "bigger is better" side of sports nowadays. Frankly, I'd much rather train like crazy and make a run at NFL millions than work my ass off for years so I can win $20,000 in a race. Even though 99.9% of kids will never make it to that level, we can't stop wanting to be LeBron James or Alex Rodriguez. Plus the waif-thin look of many runners and bikers isn't what a lot of kids today want; they all want to be big and huge. That's our crazy culture for you I guess.

--------------
OSU Law Rugby....specializing in personal injury and pain & suffering.
richardjst
richardjst
United States
2003/07/29, 03:51 AM
Right on the money....every one of my peers never not even once has said, my goal is to win the boston marathon and look like Poppeye without a 10 years worth of spinach....being absolutely thinner than poo poo out of a mouse doesnt' strike todays youth....besides some of the sports networks are to blame, when kids watch the top ten on sports center not once will you see a rail jogging across a line no bigger than himself....so we aren't exposed to it like we are strongmen comp., bodybuilding, sports of anarobic natures....we just don't see it anymore.

--------------
If hard work and persistence were the keys to success, most people would opt to pick the lock.~Dick
padua
padua
United States
2003/08/04, 09:58 AM
i try to have my kids watch sports that you have to train hard for....track and field, tennis, swimming diving ,not football or basketball, just yesterday i was watching (not sure waht it is called )for the first time a real race...men and women (women get a head start) swimming for about 5miles then biking for 20 miles and running 4.7 miles to the finish ..to win 250,000 a woman won by 1 min and two men follewed i turned around and looked at my husband and tears came down my face(as stupid as it may sound to some) but for that moment i felt the joy of someone pushing themselves to the limit...and i know that the money had nothing to do with it.......it is proving to yourself that you can do it that our bodies can do anything we push them too.....and no amount of money can take the place of a true athlete.....some of the runners run with injuries that football players are put on the bench for....they run, swim,bike ,,,to prove it for one person themselves,,,,,true athletes don't win millions but feel like a millions
2003/08/04, 12:11 PM
I'm a little confused. Were you implying that football and basketball players aren't required to train hard? I can see where someone might believe that some players cruise along on their talent, but I think there's a good lesson to be learned that the best players usually have the most ridiculous training regimines, especially in football. Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, and Brian Urlacher have routines fairly similar to triathalon training, except with more strength training mixed in.

--------------
padua
padua
United States
2003/08/04, 01:50 PM
i was four years in basketball ..played for high school and help manage and all girl football team ...2 years in gymnastics, 5 years in track and field last two years trained for long distance track,came two years in a row in first place for free style swimming....i know that basketball and football never gave me as much workout and heart the way track and field and swimming did....before i went to high school the high school coaches would come to see me train on and off the field(did weight training for power)......i know that you give it your all in basketball and football but there is a line that you cross when you dedicate yourself to running, those people will break their leg running and still make it to the finish line ....they will hop if they have too.......when other players are being carried out on a bed .....others crawl to the finish ....i know that it is different i played a lot of sports and my body feels it at only 28............but i puch myself everyday to the limit because everyday that i ran and swam my body was pushed because my mind had gone to the next level and i will never forget the levels that i can push myself too...it's the level where your mind and body play with themselves to determine which is stronger..and the will to imagine yourself the best ....where your body can't take it but your mind continues to pull you ......it is a zone that your whole soul shelters itself from , the feelings of pushing yourself its like that moment that you have worked out so much that you start throwing up,,, well think about the point in between the beginning and the end ..the point right in the middle where you think it is never going to end that is the feeling i am talking about ,,,,that moment you feel your very worse but you just can't stop,, when you have pused that far then you will know....how much passion ones needs to get to that point.....i am working 4 years to get back to that point...i still play basketball with the guys(still pretty good)and go swimming ....but that one point of my life is still not hear ...i remember but i can't feel it yet...still need training
2003/08/04, 04:41 PM
I think I see what you're saying. I never had that feeling with basketball either, but I sure did with football. I think it's one of the most demanding sports in a lot of ways. Those triathlons would get a LOT harder if they got knocked to the ground every 2 minutes. As far as injuries, I think anyone would act differently considering a one-shot deal like a race compared to a season that lasts months. If triathletes competed every week, you wouldn't see very many running on broken legs or other injuries....it wouldn't be worth it. Charles Woodson of the Raiders played the Super Bowl with a broken leg last year....cuz it was a one-shot deal at that point, just like a triathlon. Ronnie Lott had a part of his finger amputated on the sidelines and went back in the game. If you've ever participated in or watched a marathon or triathlon in person, you'd see all the people that quit with rinky-dink injuries or just because they're too tired. We're talking about athletes here, and a great athlete will have the drive to go on no matter what sport they are in.

--------------
INTRUDER
INTRUDER
United States
2003/08/05, 12:15 PM
padua; good post

seems like the topic has changed to (what is a true athlete)

Pro football? some of these players are paid to perform a job. Having athletic ability of course helps them with doing a good job.

--------------
padua
padua
United States
2003/08/06, 11:02 PM
yes a true athlete will go on no matter what is put in front of them......many football and basketball players do have time off....to relax or what ever else...but an athlete competes and when that is over they go back home to start all over again .......did you ever see a football player play football.....i saw a 70 year old man run half a marathon .......the 70 year old football player is no longer player but a 70 year old runner still runs....passion seems to continue in true athletes....